What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are there any SUV's that can be like a Van on the inside ?

St. Phatty

I'm looking for a backup to my Ford F150.

I want a vehicle that you has a flat floor in the back.

The mini Vans, like Dodge Caravan and Honda Odyssey, let you take out the seats and then have a flat floor.

The Odyssey is about 4 feet wide, 4 feet high, and 6 feet 9 inches long.

The Chevy Suburban I looked at was about 7 feet long behind the driver's seat, and wider and about the same height on the inside as the Odyssey.

The SUV's have a second back door. You can open the whole door, or just the window.

If you just open the window, it will carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

I can't find any mini-vans that have the second window.

I almost bought a Suburban in great shape, but then I realized I would be spending time trying to make the inside more like van.

You can't put a mattress in the back, unless you are an amputee.

Also the SUV's tend to have a hump in the floor in the back.

Are there any SUV's that have a flat floor in the back, after you remove the seats ? :friends:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Cycle forums tend to know what cars take a bike stood up. That is mattress space, and they do tend to speak about such details.

I'm in the UK, but did you get the VW Sharon about 15-20 years ago. 7 seats, all adult size, and the back 5 come out off a flat deck. Most are the 1.9 or 2.0 TDI giving perhaps 100-150bhp but the VR6 also went in them. It's the EU car that swallows the most. Developed jointly between VW Seat and Ford, it gives us the Ford Galaxy and Seat Alhambra also. Ford also put a trusted 2.3L petrol in theirs. In 2006 ford moved to a ford platform with skinny fold down seats that do give a deck, but the bike won't go in. VW kept making the Sharon, but I don't think past 2010ish

I don't think a 4x8 will go in. I got one trimmed 3x8 and it was down the side of the passenger seat. All doors closed.

mexweed

Veteran
I fit a full size futon in my 4runner, it has a mild hump and there are little cargo compartments on the sides, I also moved the wood couch/bed frame that the mattress goes on with not too much fuss, the rear window rolls down

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The OG Jeep Wagoneer! 360 or 401 engine. GM turbo 400. Later 70's had a 3/4 ton frame. Dana chain 4wd transfer case. Dana axles. It will pull a heavy trailer like the thing ain't even on back. I think the back seat folds down to make the back all flat metal floor.

I had one like this with a 401, the interior floor was painted like the outside so I could wash it out with a hose and keep it clean. just mats. Addco sway bars (they were around the corner in FL), good shocks. It was a great boat truck. Notice it has wing vents! 1977-1978 good.

https://www.kloompy.com/oc-content/uploads/73/80958.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts