What's new

are there any good pH meters out there?

Saran

The Blu lab may be a great pen but consider the purchase price like so many of our garden supplies as down the drain or in the garbage because the probe is not replaceable and it will fail Blu lab tells you that or you may leave it dry out and away it goes.

I like a meter I can replace the electrode on for half the price, I use an Oakton pH II (8yrs old)

zingablack

livin my way the high way
Veteran
got my blulab pen a while back. and i LOVE IT!!!!! much sturdier than overs ive handled.

Lammy

You gave to fill out forms for returns at the hydro shop?

You dont just walk up to the counter say 'this is busted im kinda bummed' and get shit swapped?

Bummer

LOL.
no I have never had anything from the hydro store that they would swap out unless it was broken right out of the box.

with the original tri-meter that I took back. 1 person at the store told me to bring it back that it was warrantied for a year or 2 or something. when I brought it in the store employees told me that they wouldn't replace it because I had not been using it and disuse is the most common reason for failure. to which I replied it doesn't work why am I gonna use it when it doesn't work I've kept in storage solution I've done everything I'm supposed to. he said he was just telling me what they were going to say and why it was going to be rejected.

the hydro stores seem to just submit the return to their suppliers and their suppliers seem to just say no.

unspoken

your store sucks dude. so does hanna's customer service though. If my guy knew that was going to happen he would without a doubt say whatever needed to be said to hanna to get it done.

Lammy

never get a ph meter, or any meter for that matter, that uses a screwdriver for calibration
those are all pieces of s***
the cheap plastic screw your supposed to twist with a screwdriver to adjust it is what broke on my 1 of my tri-meters. that wasn't covered under warranty.

Just got my MW-802 Milwaukee combo meter on clearance from eseasongear.com for $119.99 shipped.

Extremely fast shipping, easy checkout, prompt emails. The item came in perfect condition...and was brand new. Comes with TDS/EC and PH calibration packets. Nicely built...and much nicer than their pens that only cost $20 on eGay.

For someone looking to upgrade from their run off the mill ebay special...but doesnt want to shell out $200 for a bluelab...this thing looks like it is a nice solution. Warrantied for 2 years as opposed to the 5 year bluelab warranty is the only drawback.

TpM
pizza man thank you for the advice but I got this Hanna meter to replace my 802 Milwaukee. I did like the 802 but after I screwed up and let the probe dry out and spend 100 dollars to replace it. then 6 weeks later the unit got wet (also my fault) and it no longer works. I couldn't find a way to just replace the computer which should only cost like 30 bucks. I did have some issues with quality mainly where the wire connects to the main unit I came loose. I thought it was supposed to screw back in and almost totally messed up all the wires inside. I had to open up the unit in order to fix it. also where the cord to the probe bends frequently during use didn't seem like it would hold up to that much more use.

I can promise you that the Blelab ph pen is of MUCH better quality than Hanna.
Also, not sure what you consider "expensive" but the Bluelab can be had for $80, give or take a few $$$. Mine is going on 1 year of flawless readings.
Like been said, keep the probe wet at all times and you're golden.
Even the Bluelab instructions says "if it dries it dies".:ying:
you know the Hanna instructions say if it dries out to soak it for an hour. they say it like it's no big deal. I doubt it though.

The Blu lab may be a great pen but consider the purchase price like so many of our garden supplies as down the drain or in the garbage because the probe is not replaceable and it will fail Blu lab tells you that or you may leave it dry out and away it goes.

I like a meter I can replace the electrode on for half the price, I use an Oakton pH II (8yrs old)
8 years wow!

Last edited:

Lammy

I just wanted to give an update on my experience dealing with Hanna Instruments. obviously I was disappointed when my new Hanna meter stopped working in the first 5 minutes. the documentation with the meter said to contact the retailer with any returns. so I promptly emailed plantslightinghydroponics where I purchased the thing a couple days before. I was very polite and told them what the problem was and asked how I could get a replacement ASAP. that was just over a week ago and they have never responded to me. so that's a good example of a hydro store that won't do returns or help you out; but I was talking before about hydro stores that I walk into locally.

so anyway I emailed Hanna Instruments and the guy who responded to me was very courteous and prompt. he sent me out a brand new meter and gave me a UPS label the send the old meter back. we exchanged several emails and he always took the time to answer all my questions and responded really quickly. I was very impressed with the customer service.

people did criticize the Hanna meter for: taking a long time for the reading to stabilize, the reading drifting significantly after 'stabilizing' and needing to be recalibrated often.

those things seem true to some extent. but as long as this meter works I think I'll like it. I ordered a couple cheaper meters just to compare to.

Bluelab will be my next purchase with so many recommendations on here.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man your hydro shop blows or something is way wrong w the employees. No people skills.

The way hanna direct took care of you is how the shop shouldve treated you first what a bummer. Walk in shop or online. The retailer is supported by the distributor to handle issues w swaps immediately to prevent this kind of thing.

Im assuming the hanna folks asked you where you got the meter (if you didnt tell them first). Im glad you got it all handled thats the majn thing having the right tools.

Lammy

Man your hydro shop blows or something is way wrong w the employees. No people skills.
The way hanna direct took care of you is how the shop shouldve treated you first what a bummer. Walk in shop or online. The retailer is supported by the distributor to handle issues w swaps immediately to prevent this kind of thing.

Im assuming the hanna folks asked you where you got the meter (if you didnt tell them first). Im glad you got it all handled thats the majn thing having the right tools.

yes I let Hanna Instruments know that I purchased it from plantslightinghydroponics.com; in my last communication with Hanna Instruments I just told them that PLH never returned my email.

I emailed PLH a couple weeks ago to tell them I was really happy with an order and their prices and the speed at which they shipped. they didn't respond to that email either, not that they needed to.

I'm definitely not gonna buy anything like that from PLH again or anything that could possibly malfunction. I don't remember why didn't order it from Amazon. PLH certainly did not have a better price.

it's nice to hear that somewhere in the world hydro stores act professional like the big chain stores. I'm guessing it's probably in California. I've been to many of the hydro stores in my area and none of them are really different. I guess I've lowered my standards because nowadays I'm happy if I can actually buy the item that I want without the clerk overcharging me and pocketing the money.

rabid

I bought the black Hanna combo pen from ESeasongear.com and it worked flawlessly for more than three years before the EC sensor failed. They sent me another for ~$110 and included a pH electrode for free. I've taken care of it and it's still going strong for the past 18 months.

The ESeason rep included a note saying Hanna had a (production) problem with a few of the 98129 pens and to hold down the on/off button a little longer than usual if there was any difficulty at start-up (there wasn't).

Maybe you received one of the pens that had the defect. I'll buy another Hanna combo pen if/when this one bites the dust...

Lammy

I bought the black Hanna combo pen from ESeasongear.com and it worked flawlessly for more than three years before the EC sensor failed. They sent me another for ~$110 and included a pH electrode for free. I've taken care of it and it's still going strong for the past 18 months.

The ESeason rep included a note saying Hanna had a (production) problem with a few of the 98129 pens and to hold down the on/off button a little longer than usual if there was any difficulty at start-up (there wasn't).

Maybe you received one of the pens that had the defect. I'll buy another Hanna combo pen if/when this one bites the dust...

that is the meter that I have. trust me I know how to push down the button. I tried at least 100 times. if I didn't hold it for long enough it didn't turn on at all and if I held it for any longer it came on long enough to say that it had 100 percent battery and then turned off.

but I want to give an update because I just tried the new 1 that I got and I am extremely disappointed to say that it doesn't work worth a crap. this 1 turns on but right out of the box the readings are way off. I stuck it in my Hanna instruments 1500 ppm solution and it doesnt even read 1000. so I grab the instructions to figure out how to calibrate it because it doesn't have a simple dial. but I can't calibrate it with their own 1500 ppm solution I'm supposed to buy some freakin 1413 ppm solution.

I think I'm just gonna cut my losses. I can't see paying 15, 20 or 30 bucks or whatever it cost for the solution that they wanna make me use to calibrate this thing. I think I'm just gonna throw this thing out or maybe pay to mail it back to the guy just to prove a point.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was in soCal but now am on Maui.

DUDE... I bought a Hanna PH meter a few years ago at OC Hydro in Stanton... moved to Maui. Probe broke. Went to Ohana Greenhouse in Kahului... had entire pen swapped on the spot....

bro.... for PH drops are golden.
Exact is nice but alls you need to be is IN RANGE.

if its this big of a pain in the ass simplify.... drops FTW

cheap. easy. plentiful. dont fuckup.

good luck man

totally bummed on your shop experiences

Lammy

Grayskull you give me a good idea I think tomorrow I'll try taking this P.O.S. meter into a local hydro store and maybe I can get them to swap it out. if we test them all there maybe they'll have 1 that will work.

plantlightinghydroponics.com is screwing me on this whole deal they won't respond to my emails.

I ordered a couple cheap meters off of Amazon last week when I figured I was never going to actually get my replacement Hanna. I thought they make a good backup so I'd have no down time. but Amazon hasn't even bothered to ship them even though they were in stock.

FML

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah dude
They should even calibrate it for you there whether you get a new one or not
They may charge you for the calibration packets but theyll hook you up
I mean they should
But maybe things in your hood are different
I hope not

Lammy

I'm pretty sure they look at me like I'm crazy when I bring in a meter that I bought off the internet and trying to exchange it there. but I might as well to try cuz I'm broke

Hanna instruments come from the factory set at 0.5 conversion factor. Set your pen to 0.7 and try the 1500 ppm calibration solution.

You're probably broke from buying all those pens and cal solutions.

And get someone to explain the instructions because it sounds like you're lost...:biggrin:

Lammy

Hanna instruments come from the factory set at 0.5 conversion factor. Set your pen to 0.7 and try the 1500 ppm calibration solution.

You're probably broke from buying all those pens and cal solutions.

And get someone to explain the instructions because it sounds like you're lost...:biggrin:

GS
you are 100 percent correct I just got off the phone with a Hannah instrument technician who walked me through it. he was very nice and responded first thing in the morning.

it was just a matter of trying to calibrate it with the wrong conversion factor. I guess I'm just expecting life to take a dump on me so bad that I didn't bother to read all of the instructions. LOL.

I just want to say that in all fairness this Hanna Instruments meter does work and their tech support is really nice. I'm just used to being able to use a dial for calibration. and this is a little more complicated but I guess the dials can't be made waterproof.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
Lammy...sorry to hear about your troubles. My MW-802 didn't need any adjusting..just stick in the cal solution and adjust the knobs manually....done.

Keep a small amout of either storage solution or ph solution in the cap of the probe...you have to keep that bitch nice and wet!

Cheers

TpM

P.S. crazy to hear about www.plantlightinghydroponics.com..they are usually solid...and I have had nothing but great experiences with them..however...I have never had to RMA something from them.

Lammy

sadly it hasn't even been 4 months and my replacement Hanna meter doesn't work anymore. I follow the instructions to calibrate it but it didn't work at all the meter is supposed to recognize what test solution it was in. I put it in the 4.01 solution and a calibrated itself to 7.01.