What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are there any downsides to fast strains?

Dankwolf

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Part of post on last page .

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I flower a thunk to 110-120 days that I crossed with
a nycd x Sensi Star male.

Reduced flower to 80-90 days, most phenos,
with good results, lime and root beer, lol.

I haven't knowingly smoked bud that was in the medium
less than 70 days after flip.

I got time.

clearheaded

herijuana is a fast strain and also dont think anyone would ever say it doesnt have a long or intense effect. lol bred from outdoor kentucky if i am not mistaken.

there may be some terpene differences with the non auto or semi auto fast var. remember the true matnuska thunder fXX is a semi auto if i am not mistaken along with mighty mite, lebanon etc. they of course can produce higher CBD plants which may make sense with some folks saying lower effects ie less punchy less anxious.

clearheaded

You didn't shorten flower times, you added a photo-period flowering schedule to your auto making it a photo finisher.
:tiphat:

alot of the "fast versions" are infact just that.. water down lowryder to get non auto or semi auto and make a version that flowers 1 or 2 weeks faster. this is def the case and can be observed in older var ie ruderalis skunk from sensi and mighty mite(semi auto) along with new var. fast amnesia fast og kush fast critical etc. usually the auto version back crossed again to the original mother lowering amount of auto and decreasing flowering time.

cheers!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
alot of the "fast versions" are infact just that.. water down lowryder to get non auto or semi auto and make a version that flowers 1 or 2 weeks faster. this is def the case and can be observed in older var ie ruderalis skunk from sensi and mighty mite(semi auto) along with new var. fast amnesia fast og kush fast critical etc. usually the auto version back crossed again to the original mother lowering amount of auto and decreasing flowering time.

cheers!

You didn't get it.

You did not shorten the flower time...
You created a whole other variety!

If you cross Skunk #1 x Diesel Ryder for instance, you don't have a Skunk #1 Auto. You have Skunk x Diesel Ryder.
When you back cross that variety to the recurrent parent Skunk #1 you still have Skunk x Diesel Ryder.

You can call it whatever the funk you want but it is what it is and it is NOT what it started out as if you added genetics that weren't previously there.

You didn't shorten flower time, you made another variety all together!

blays0r

The answer is "yes and no." Most top shelf herb takes a while to produce good cannabinoids and develop a quality, complex terp profile. There are exceptions, though. A good example is Bubba Kush, which has phenos that finish in under 2 months. And it's some killer smoke by anyone's standards.

So, long running strains are usually higher in quality pound-for-pound vs quick ones. But anyone who says every single strain that's a fast finisher is no good hasn't sampled many varieties.

Dankwolf

The answer is "yes and no." Most top shelf herb takes a while to produce good cannabinoids and develop a quality, complex terp profile. There are exceptions, though. A good example is Bubba Kush, which has phenos that finish in under 2 months. And it's some killer smoke by anyone's standards.

So, long running strains are usually higher in quality pound-for-pound vs quick ones. But anyone who says every single strain that's a fast finisher is no good hasn't sampled many varieties.

:comfort: I for give you :tiphat:

therevverend

Veteran
Sensi's old Hashplant and it's relative were the fastest kick ass strain I've ever grown. Good yield indoors too. Finish in 49 days. To me anything done in 8 weeks or before Oct 1 is fast. I've seen less of them as people focus more on big yields.

I've seen a lot of strains that could be harvested at 6 or 7 weeks but were much better after 8 or 9. I've never understood spending months to grow a plant just to cut it down a week or two early.

As far as the new 'fast flowering' versions of regular strains. I've seen pictures of decent ones but haven't tried them. It looked to me like they weren't as big as their regular cousins. You're going to take a hit outdoors for getting in an early harvest.

I'm always looking and breeding for earlier strains. I can hear the rain outside and I'm thinking about how I'm going to be tying up broken branches tomorrow.

St. Phatty

I've seen a lot of strains that could be harvested at 6 or 7 weeks but were much better after 8 or 9. I've never understood spending months to grow a plant just to cut it down a week or two early.

exactly how I feel.

People talk about White Widow putting on a lot of resin in Weeks 9 and 10.

Seems like that applies to most strains.

I can understand wanting to get the most out of a production area, once the plants slow down.

I think it helps to have a side area where you can put plants for their final 2 or 3 weeks, without taking up space in your main production area.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I think it helps to have a side area where you can put plants for their final 2 or 3 weeks, without taking up space in your main production area.

This seems like a good idea. Do you do this? Anyone? I've noticed that plants seem to ripen better when I raise the light up and/or dim the wattage. I usually wait until they do the slow down thing, where they aren't growing anymore, but the pistils begin receding into the calyxes, and the trichomes start piling on exponentially.

When I've left the light down on the canopy, the plants seem to want to keep growing new flowers, and they seem to get a little stressed from all the light. So it seems it helps the plants to have a "final stage" and I can see having a different space with less lighting to move them into being a big asset in a continuous grow or perpetual harvest type of setup.