What's new

Are the high priced seed strains worth it?

WelderDan

Veteran
I've only spent over $100 a pack on seeds a few times. A few packs of DJ's gear and a pack of Sensi G13/HP. The DJ gear was worth it IMO. After smoking the Sensi gear though, I would say it was worth $50, but not the $150 + I paid for them.

Now consider the variables too. Personal preference and opinion, personal physiology, yield, type of high, flowering time. These all figure into the answer.

The kicker though, is the best weed I've ever grown was a simple pollen chuck I did with two inexpensive strains.

So the answer is yes, no and "it depends on what you are looking for personally" IMO

ijim

Is cannabis really any better than than 40 years ago? Depends on what you consider better. If you are looking for trendy colors or odors. Yes they are. Most examples used for low THC content from the 60s, 70s and 80s are commercial cannabis that was harvested when there was sufficient weight. And packaged half wet and wrapped in paper so they would continue to dry on the way to market. But there were many good growers that had pride in their product and that the quality would stand up to today's. What we see today in the seed market today is competition driving marketing. The hottest thing going today are the return of strains from 20 and 30 years ago. There is just too much used car sales tactics and hype today. Read the descriptions you are paying top dollar for older genetics that you can work yourself at home. But some need to have the strain that is all the rave at the moment.

I think more important than the price is buying strains that gel with what ails you. "Good weed" is different for each person. I want the strongest knock down narcotic indica for my pain. My wife wants a haze that she can bomb around on.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
these days there are so many chooses when it comes to seed purchases...back 10 years ago there were a handful of seed producers now maybe 100's,,,and with closet pollen chuckers. I refuse to pay high prices for beans....The best seeds I have gotten were the free kind...Peeps on these and other boards just swapping genetics and doing trades...I have made the last of my seed purchases...

peace
Chefboy

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very hard to answer, but if you've got $300 to spend i would strongly recommend buying three to six packs of $50 - $100 seeds rather than 1 pack of $300 seeds.

its a very personal thing. i was recently lucky enough to be gifted loads of legit elite cuts - chem d, ecsd, casey jones etc. these are the actual cuts that the expensice seeds are copies of. having grown them and smoked them - which was a great experience - im likely to still keep my old cuts that i found myself from cheaper seeds. the only one i'll keep is probably the bubba kush - the rest are good for some im sure but not my thing.

the more strains you try - the more you will know what you want. imo there is no real reason to charge more than $100 for a 10 pack - there should be plenty of profit there for everyone - but then again it must be hard for some materialistic peeps to not charge more when they know they can...

VG

M

Milhouse

I havent seen anyone mention it here so I thought I would throw this out there. I have no problems spending $100 / pack if I know I will get some customer service after the sale! That is why i grow what i grow. If i ever have any questions regarding specific strains, how they react to certain conditions, what is wrong with my plant, etc.....I know my breeder will steer me in the right direction. That is my eyes is priceless!

So in other words, $100 per 10 seeds and the transaction is done doesnt seem worth it to me but if it includes personal help from the one that did the breeding and selecting, then $100 for 10 seeds is a bargain!

It really comes down to how badly you want the given strain!

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Depends on how rare your genetics are....for example...you have something thats really rare and nobody has else it...then you pretty much are in the drivers seat.... problem is....there are only a few places left in the world where these genetics reside and access to them isnt exactly easy...but how do put a price tag on seeds that could get you killed or jailed for a long time?

uraverage

I have grown nothing but lower priced server fund seeds for a couple of years and have always been overly happy.
There are way to many deals to be had to pay over $100 imo....

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
if i could buy a clone selected from 1000's buy the breeder himself,that would be worth $300

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Its true that there are a lot of expensive seeds but there are only a few good strains. The good strains are expensive. The problem is that the dozen or so breeders that actually have an exceptional strain or 2, charge the same high price for the 10 mediocre strains they have. Sensi seeds has a few nice strains,. Mr. Nice has a couple, paradise or serious, - but the rest of their work is medicre at best yet they charge as if they were exceptional.

Plus you have groupies that cheerlead mediocre strains. Rezevoir seeds has a good strain but ive smoked a couple that werent impressive at all.(similar to most companies) It doesnt matter, for some. he could offer up hops for sale and some folks would claim it was the grail just because its from him. And because of that, he charges as if it WERE the grail

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
The other day I was on a breeder's site-Riot- and saw they were charging $200 for some of their strains. I clicked on one to see what was so special about it, and it was $200 for SIX SEEDS!

wayfarer

The one time I coughed up $200 for a pack of seeds I ended up with no regrets. Perfect germination, 7 to 3 female-to-male ratio, each female would have been a standout in any of my previous grows and the stone was of a different order. Made a bunch of F2's as well which are as good or better than anything else I've bought to date. If I just had the bud from the original plants the price would have been justified, but with the F2s the purchase is bringing in dividends. So if you like what you find and plan to work with the genetics in the future an extra input of $100-150 isn't that big a deal. I've wasted way more on shitty $20-30 strains factoring in the costs of growing the plants all the way through and ending up with something I wasn't impressed with.

Greenheart

Veteran
I've never purchased seeds. Judging the end results of both some random but quality bud bagseed and clones I have obtained thru providers I would have to say little difference in quality. I think the advantages of buying high end seeds would be the "namebrand" and you would be able to expect certain traits such as indica/sativa, color, flavor, bloom time, or yields. Also you could narrow down know medicinal values such as higher known cbd content, anti-anxiety properties, known cerebral effects, pain relief value...

In the end obtain what you can how you can and put the your personal elite onto a few good mums. Or at least thats the way I see it.

Lav

Baned
The more you pay, the more you can blame the breeder for every little problem with the gear.

That's why I like bagseed!

Lav

Baned
Guess what I was trying to say, expectations for an expensive seed will be high and it will be easy to be disappointed.

ProfGerbik

as far as ive noticed the only reason a strain will cost so much is simply because of the popularity it holds or it the appeal it may give. strains that look wicked or with the more popular names have always been more expensive.

ive always believed its all in the hands of the grower to really produce the quality you are looking for. for example ive grown shwag seeds that have turned out to be more killer than half the crap i was given in my adolescent days that was considered to be dank.. pretty much why i did this was simply wondering.. are paying out the ass for seeds really worth it. i found the answer to be no for me as i can produce the same quality with any decent seed.

the only time ill pay a lot for seeds is when im absolutely out of resources and have no other place to get them.

bozga

First time I bought a pack of seeds for 30$ I was impressed! Plants had new aromas I never smelled before, new types of high, new growth characteristics... It was not like the weed you get from a dealer even not like the stuff from Amsterdam coffeshops. 50$ is the price I might pay for 10 seeds, but no more than that.
P.S. Even 50$ is way too much for 10 regular seeds.

purple_man

Veteran
high famz!

in my opinion, seeds can't be to expensive... since it all starts with a seed, and if you play it right, you get mother and father plants which you can multiply and preserve as long as you like or your skills allow. it's like saying a lamborghini or some other high end product is to expensive etc... since we live in a $ driven society (sadly) there won't be any exceptions with seeds. over the years i had the pleasure to grow many seeds of different sources (landraces, selfmade hybrids, cheap seedbanks, expensive seedbanks, ...) and to be honest, like many posted above, one has to find the high/taste/yield/... they like, no matter if it comes from a bagseed or a ueberkushdieselchronichaze which is 100$ a seed ;)

blessss
ps.: i hope in the long run, we all get to enjoy the most vastly possible array of different genetix

pss.: would be sad to be stuck with skunk, haze and northern lights MUHAHAHA

Latest posts

Latest posts