What's new

Are sulfur burners safe for clones?

20sackzack

I am posting this in the propagation section as well but I was just wondering if anyone has experience with using sulfur burners to control powdery mildew in a room with mother plants and rooting/rooted clones? Will the sulfur damage the clones at all?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Probably not. If they are well rooted and you aren't overdoing it. Take it easy on them if they aren't fully rooted and starting to grow.

Growenhaft

Wetting sulfur can be used without hesitation in the growth phase and is very effective against powdery mildew fungi and mites of all kinds.

Stev3

I was planning to do this as well. As long as the lights are off, temps are low, and not too long, I'm thinking it'll be ok

20sackzack

Wetting sulfur can be used without hesitation in the growth phase and is very effective against powdery mildew fungi and mites of all kinds.

Yeah the mothers have been sprayed with sulfur already and it works for sure to kill the pm on the moms. The problem is this is pretty large room with lots of clones in it at various stages of propagation. Quite a few of the rooted clones have visible pm on them and there are certainly millions of spores floating all throughout the room at all times because of this.

My thinking was that if a sulfur burner could be safely used without burning the freshly cut clones, the entire room could be treated. The sulfur vapor coats all surfaces killing all spores in the room as opposed to a spray which only kills the spores on the surface you spray it on. Much more complete coverage from the vapor. If this could be done maybe twice a week for a couple months I feel like the pm could be completely eradicated from the mother/propagation room.

My biggest question and concern is that it might kill the unrooted clones. Was hoping to find someone here who has used a sulfur burner in a room with rooting clones before.

unnamedmike

Yeah the mothers have been sprayed with sulfur already and it works for sure to kill the pm on the moms. The problem is this is pretty large room with lots of clones in it at various stages of propagation. Quite a few of the rooted clones have visible pm on them and there are certainly millions of spores floating all throughout the room at all times because of this.
My thinking was that if a sulfur burner could be safely used without burning the freshly cut clones, the entire room could be treated. The sulfur vapor coats all surfaces killing all spores in the room as opposed to a spray which only kills the spores on the surface you spray it on. Much more complete coverage from the vapor. If this could be done maybe twice a week for a couple months I feel like the pm could be completely eradicated from the mother/propagation room.
My biggest question and concern is that it might kill the unrooted clones. Was hoping to find someone here who has used a sulfur burner in a room with rooting clones before.

I'm not sure with a sulfur burner. None of my plants, at any stage of development, show sulfur vapor phytoxicity. Not even clones or seedlings. Don't apply sulfur if you've sprayed something oil-based.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Myself and others have used sulphur candles to combat the borg. Never again. It looked like the RH got into minus figures. They are for cleaning greenhouses. Dormant vines will survive it.

hyposomniac

Veteran
Myself and others have used sulphur candles to combat the borg. Never again. It looked like the RH got into minus figures. They are for cleaning greenhouses. Dormant vines will survive it.

Interesting... I've been looking at sulphur burner vs candles vs sulphur spray.
Are the candles harsher that a burner/vape.. I wondered about vaporized beeswax and the warning about spraying oil. Took in some foreign clones and now seem to have a touch of the PM..

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Paying for clones, in the form of bugs and diseases, is never fun. Just because the last grower was good at keeping PM alive, doesn't mean you will be though. I have been trying to grow some for years. I just can't do it. I have had great success with bud-rot, but PM just won't take. I think I need a cellar or basement.

Smoggy

I've fumed a few different stage rooms during lights out for hours, don't recall anything suffering. - just make sure heating element isn't too close to sulfur can & mist permeates throughout with sacrificial fan.

Latest posts

Latest posts