What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aquaponics Rocks

guineapig

Veteran
Sorry AquaTeam i know that was long.....

Let me just add that in a chemical reaction which is incredibly complex, injecting a massive amount of Oxygen into a given body of water always "kicks out" molecules of
CO2. This fact leads to an immediate raising of the pH into the Alkaline range.
Carbonated water is always slightly acidic so when the CO2 gets "kicked out" by the
O2 molecules, the pH rises by a couple of points. Just to let you know, so test your
pH before and after you attempt to super-oxygenate your water because you might
have to raise or lower it accordingly....

:ying: kind regards from yer pal guineapig :ying:

G

I'll be removing my account shortly my normal life is too busy for this hobby and my system basically runs itself now. Security means this thread will vanish for the most part. So if you want the information in here best cut n paste while you can. Another scientist has just confirmed my ratios as being correct.

Seventeen pages later I'll say it one last time

1 lb fish, two gallons medium, 4 sq feet growspace.

I wasn't here to argue how its done with folk who've never done it.

This is the shit right here. 1:2:4. Goodnight.

BakedBeans

Hey man, wow, that's quite a turn. Please don't delete the thread. We'll keep the research alive. :)

This thread and this small group of people is it for aquaponics in this hobby. Well, as far as I know, anyhow. I think we have a responsibility to keep it alive. :)

G

Adieu for now

Adieu for now

OK, for RM nt, MW, Ship and all the other folks who helped me I'll leave this here.

Hopefully things blow over and I'll come back and visit.

It is likely I will delete this account. I think the images will then be lost. So if you want the spillway sketch or any other photos or diagrams grab a copy for yourself or the thread.

Things have been great here for me please excuse my frustration. I know I am arrogant at times and apologise if I've hurt anyone's feelings - I've been having a rough patch...

I'm not a great grower but by God will I put in the study when my hearts in a subject. My heart is in Aquaponics. Not weed, though it is, and will always be, my drug of choice.

I've reached my goals with weed, I have enough to smoke and it's good enough. Sure I'd like to win the Cannabis Cup, but I don't want it enough.

For those of you who's heart is in growing the best weed you can grow - you really MUST give this a try.

The resourses are popping up all over now. Spend the money and time and get ahead of the game.

Peace and best wishes

THSeek.

:badday:

BakedBeans

Yeah TH, be cool. Maybe just go dormant for awhile and flush all of your browser history, cookies, etc. Even if you deleted your account, there would still be residual traces of you left on this system (possibly logs). If you ever decide to stop back by, pick up a copy of Torpark. It's a stand-alone Firefox installation with The Onion Router enabled. It allows you to surf pretty much anonymously, and it's very easy to setup.

In any case, I'm uber-interested in growing veggies and fruits, and you've got a huge headstart on me. :) I will miss your information and insight.

Take it easy and maybe things will be different later on! :)

-BB

muddy waters

yo TH keep growing and spreading the word, soldier... you were good to icmag

i'm sure you'll come back around one of these days (you'll be too proud of your aquaponic ladies)

take it easy

G

Wow THSeek, you gotta do what's best for you but I hope to see you around in the future.

G

I dunno what I'm doing Ship. Mums dying and so I'm angry and burning bridges then coming back all sheepish, smoking far too much dope, like a fistful a day, till I'm comatose and can't think. So helpless here, that's why I try changing things in my life I guess.

Every time I seem to 'come right' I get another e-mail about nother node or breed or growth discovered. They took 1 year to find the fucking cancer, but it's everywhere, and since finding it, she gets given a month to live.

I've tried dealing with it, no weed and let myself feel, I'm sure it helped. I'm gutted, totallly absolutely fucking devastated.

And now I'm all fucked up from typing about it, and back to my weed.

BakedBeans

I'm so sorry to hear that TH, that's not something I ever want my parents to go through. You have my condolences and my respect for making it this far. You and your mom are still here. Just try and make the best of things while you still can.

Hugs. :)

Last edited:

Sico

THSeeks

Just like you, my passion is Aquaponics and not cannabis. Your thread has been joyful and very useful..! Have been reading it alot, sitting over here in Sweden. Regged an account here just so I could write you this message.

I'm very sorry to hear about what's happening. Do what you have to do to feel right.

G

Hi Sico. Thanks for kind words, and MW and others. This particular death (pending) has affected me very deeply, I've seen many people go, but none were my Mum. I feel quite rudderless at present.

Sweden huh. Guess you're getting knowledgeable on greenhousing too. I wish you all the best.

My systems doing what it should. Cranking out buds and fattening fish. The mildew can get a little resistant to milk. Still moves it but it's bouncing back faster. I reversed the fans so the air is not drawn up via plants but dry air pulled down past plants then out of room at bottom by tank. This was a week ago so nothing noticeable in the change. I think my air was wrong way round the whole time, aqua is a bit different.

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
THSeek - very sorry to hear about your mum - wish there was something comforting I could write - but with a parent you like time and memory are the only comforts. So sorry man...

Sico

Yup, doing greenhouse right now. Hoping for a long good fall.

Good thing there to try get the moist from the tanks out without passing the plants.

So, well - I guess it happens most of us. We will end up rudderless somewhere and sometime in our life. Some of us even several times.

Awful experience, but still inevitable.

That's where we rediscover our own strength, in the process of finding course again. Takes time of course..

When I lost one of the most important persons in my life at that time, I held on to my hobbies(found a new one too) and dreams, much of it involving aquaponics and related. Later on I would discover that it didn't take me all the way back to a normal life, but it was something to hold on to when everything else was total chaos. Helped me keep track.

muddy waters

dude TH hang in there and keep smoking your dope, far better recourse than alcohol or anything heavier, you know?

i think reversing your fans was smart, maybe a last chance to drop humidity would be buying one of those canisters that they sell for cupboards and stuff in humid locations, that absorb all the water in the air... thing is you'd probably fill it in a coupla days but it will reduce the humidity in that time period at least. that's scary that the mildew is resisting the milk, so obviously the humidity is just too damn high in there. i have temporarily sidelined my cab-sized aquaponic tub based on what you've been reporting, i think i'd have massive mildew and other fungi, no fun...

oh and welcome to the discussion, sico. aquaponic greenhouse? write more! inquiring minds etc

Trev

has anyone done.. a cabinet with a fish tank on top.. sorta stealth? any pics. i want to do a 1 plant 70 watt hps+70 watt CFLs in the stand i made to hold my normal size fishtank 10-15 gallons? prolly only 10.

how many fish do i need?
lookin to go goldfish?
what type of fish food do you recomend?
any ferts i can put in water that are purshasable at say a local pet shop or ptesmart-petco.?

complete newb to aquaponics

Sico

Muddy Waters!
I have a greenhouse, but it's just ordinary soilgrow. A couple of ladies are in there maturing right now - roots right down into the earth.

Aquaponics though, have been a passion for some time now, and just recently I started to build an indoor aquaponicsetup with vegetables and herbs. No weed that is.

So, I just started to measure out the area that I will use, and get the parts to do all the assembly. Need to get something for the plants to stand in (gonna ask a friend to do it out of stainless steel), it will be a flood and drain gravelbed-table setup.

Don't know if I'll ever do a weedgrow in aquaponics though.
Want to keep it as legit as possible, because I want to do this for a living in the future.
So, this thread contains alot of stuff that I need to save to my harddrive for later references :)

Papa Legba

Hey guys
I am setting up a aqua system for my mother plants. I have a couple of questions.
First, is it ok to feed the plants before the tank has fully completed the nitrogen cycle? I just stared a new tank with a penguin bio filter and 2 goldfish, breaking it in slowly. Does anyone else use filtration on the tank or is the circulation of the system
enough? Also how often do you feed your plants? Is the pump running continuously or is there some feeding schedule that works best. Any help would be appreciated.

RM - aquagrower

what type of system are ya looking at setting up? and how are your moms being kept now? if you're looking at doing a dwc, a word of caution: they grow fast.

imo, ya need to let a new system "establish" before adding any plants. a lot of pet stores will give ya a small handfull of tank gravel (or an old filter) to help get things going. ya just gotta ask.