What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aquaponics in my Window

G

They'll live in the lava rocks? Thats odd... I just built the drain, stand pipe, and manifold. I need to wash the tank and test the pumps. Ive gotten 6x 1/4" drip lines before I think it could handle 8 easily. Could a pump handle more holes if they're made smaller, or will they clog faster?

Oh, how high up does lava wick upward? Im leaving an inch of water in the bottom of the bed. I think that's a good amount. Ill probly start all seeds in RW and transfer to AP roots touching water.

MrFista

Veteran
Sounds fine, you can leave less water though, 1/3 inch is plenty.

6 mm or 1/4 inch is as small as you want to go with holes.

Lava wicks up a little but not much at all, the water continuously flowing in is more than enough water, even if the power shuts down watering manually once a day keeps everything not only alive but healthy. Provided of course your fish can breathe.