What's new

Apple Allowed Government Spying For 3 Years'

mrcreosote

Veteran
Don't worry...
They just collect information about you so they can properly match you with your FEMA camp room-mates.

Happy camps make happy campers.

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
Over the last couple of days, there has been a significant amount of press over the findings of Trevor Eckhart who exposed the presence of extensive logging software found on many Android, BlackBerry and Nokia phones. A video showing the extent of the logging was posted and is summarized by PCWorld. The software is called "IQRD" by a company called Carrier IQ.:
Quote:
After connecting his HTC device to his computer, Trevor found that IQRD is secretly logging every single button that he taps on the phone--even on the touchscreen number pad. IQRD is also shown to be logging text messages.

In the video, Eckhart shows that Carrier IQ is also logging Web searches. While this doesn't sound all that bad by itself, it suggests that Carrier IQ is logging what happens during an HTTPS connection which is supposed to be encrypted information. Additionally, it can do this over a Wi-Fi connection with no 3G, so even if your phone service is disconnected, IQRD still logs the information.
It doesn't seem entirely clear what information is transmitted and used, though the presence of the software itself has generated many privacy concerns. Eckhart noted in his original findings that on his Android HTC phone, there was no way to turn off logging. He also notes that the Carrier IQ application is embedded so deeply that it can't be fully removed without rebuilding the phone from source code. Forbes is suggesting that the company may have even violated wiretapping laws based on its actions. Carrier IQ maintains that its actions are aimed at device performance only.

Tonight iPhone developer @chpwn reported on Carrier IQ references in Apple's iOS as well, though its logging seems to be much more in line with Carrier IQ's official statements about device performance. (The references were first spotted by Intell on our own forums). Chpwn reports:
Quote:
Importantly, it does not appear the daemon has any access or communication with the UI layer, where text entry is done. I am reasonably sure it has no access to typed text, web history, passwords, browsing history, or text messages, and as such is not sending any of this data remotely.
The information logged for iOS seems limited to phone call activity and location (if Location Services are enabled). Also unlike the implementation found on Eckhart's HTC, iOS users can opt out of these diagnostics by simply going to Settings -> General -> About -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Don't Send. The actually logged diagnostic data appears to be fully accessible for perusal in that same setting menu.

TUAW describes the iOS findings as "probably benign" and consistent with expected network performance diagnostics.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
I don't know the details of this exploit, but I'm sure it's more serious than playlists. A compromised application running on your computer could allow someone to see everything you do on that computer. Emails, chat logs, web history, pictures, etc.

my guess is it just opened up a port and allowed the hacker to have full access.... If anyone has messed around with back orifice or netbus(been a long time beleive thats the name) its exactly how they work... you download something that opens up your computer to this specific hacking software from then on the other user has complete control of your comp if they want.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Misleading thread title is misleading. Nothing indicates that  "allowed" anyone to do anything. The gubmint exploited a glitch in the matrix and  didn't or couldn't patch it until recently. This is similar to jailbreaking your device.  doesn't "allow" it and eventually patches up the holes which then causes devs to search for, locate and exploit another hole. No system is 100% bulletproof. TrueCrypt, FTMFW!!!!!

to me they allowed it and they also made it happen... No bug allows all your shit to be backed up to a special file only available to hackers... lol they programmed it like that and im sure they sold info just like facebook does.

They knew about it and not until it became big news did they ever fix it. Ive said this once i said it again apple is one of the biggest security risks around... They play and even cohort to our government and others apparently. Dont EVER trust big business because they DO NOT EVER have your rights in mind....

grapeman

Veteran
From Gizmodo

Yes, Your iPhone Can Track You With Carrier IQ, Too
All hell broke loose yesterday when it was discovered that most (but not all) Android phones (and BlackBerries, and others) are recording every keystroke you make. Now, references to the same software have been discovered in Apple's iOS. But in this case, it only logs technical data and it's off by default.
Last night, prominent iOS hacker chpwn tweeted that he had found reference to the same, now notorious Carrier IQ software in iOS 3. After just a little more poking and prodding, it was confirmed that these references exist all the way up to modern day iOS 5, they're just under a different name: /usr/bin/awd_ice2. But wait, before everyone starts returning their iPhones (none of you were going to do that anyway), there's a bit of good news.

It seems that the data Carrier IQ has access to is much more limited than it is on Android. From chpwn's blog: "...it does not appear the daemon has any access or communication with the UI layer, where text entry is done." That is extremely good news if it proves to be true, because it would mean that iOS wouldn't be logging your passwords, emails, SMS messages, etc. Even more good news: CarrierIQ only kicks in when the iPhone is in Diagnostic Mode, which is off by default. So you'd have to actively tinker with settings you never use for it to work.

Not bothered about much really. I don't have an Android phone, which is worse by default then an iPhone.

I

Iron_Lion

fuck technology.

give me back my god damned rotary dialing land line.

L

longearedfriend

everything ends up coming out

prepare for the apocalypse