What's new

Apartment Growing

hellotheresir

I've read about the risks but I guess I don't see them (could be ignorance on my part, wont deny that) I ask these questions because I'm curious, I'm not asking in a "Well if i do this, there is no way they'll catch me, you guys are wrong!" type of way.

1. Electric bill in my name, not the apartments. I believe this is key #1 obviously, to not have your electricity included with your apartment rent.

2. Don't tell anyone..etc.

3. Take care of odors

4. Have operation well hidden. In my case I have a closet with the side where the tent will be locked, a dresser on the other side to prevent seeing it from the open side with clothes hanging to block even more.

I can't see how this is a risk as long as I don't use more then a 400w 12/12 for flower and cfls for veg. The landlord/maintenance will have no reason to even go in the room that the closet is in, let alone open it.

Am I wrong here and completely ignorant? Any advice/discussion not only welcomed but appreciated. Thanks.

hellotheresir

Movintarget said:
Do you have a wife and kids in the apartment?

No, sorry forgot to mention I will be living alone. No one will have access to the closet let alone the room in which the closet is in.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
do you live above people and have a toilet that can overflow, a sink that can leak, causing a complaint, leading to maintenance coming in your apartment while you're at work?

could there be a random fire in your apartment that would casue firefighters to search each apartment to 'clear' it?

Is there a possibility that you would gradually become accusted to the odors of your own grow and not notice when it actually smelled a lot more than you thought?

Is there a possibility that neighbors on either side and above or below could hear your dwc setup/fans/ E&F draining back to the rez?

Do you know just how nosey your landlord is?

These are just some things to think about when growing in an apartment. X-factors if you will. It can be done, and very succcessfully, but there are risks.

It matters how big your setup is, how well it is hidden, etc.

There are people on here who got their start going big in apartments. But success is far far from guaranteed.

I've had maintenance in my apartment when I was gone and nothing came from it except me being extremely paranoid and ready to tear down at a moment's notice for a couple weeks, though my setup was a meager 150w dresser grow.

People say change your locks. What would have happened if I HAD changed them and they had to get a locksmith to open the doors, clueing them in that something might be up? You can go either way on that one with arguments.

hellotheresir

FirstTracks said:
do you live above people and have a toilet that can overflow, a sink that can leak, causing a complaint, leading to maintenance coming in your apartment while you're at work?

could there be a random fire in your apartment that would casue firefighters to search each apartment to 'clear' it?

Is there a possibility that you would gradually become accusted to the odors of your own grow and not notice when it actually smelled a lot more than you thought?

Is there a possibility that neighbors on either side and above or below could hear your dwc setup/fans/ E&F draining back to the rez?

Do you know just how nosey your landlord is?

These are just some things to think about when growing in an apartment. X-factors if you will. It can be done, and very succcessfully, but there are risks.

It matters how big your setup is, how well it is hidden, etc.

There are people on here who got their start going big in apartments. But success is far far from guaranteed.

I've had maintenance in my apartment when I was gone and nothing came from it except me being extremely paranoid and ready to tear down at a moment's notice for a couple weeks, though my setup was a meager 150w dresser grow.

People say change your locks. What would have happened if I HAD changed them and they had to get a locksmith to open the doors, clueing them in that something might be up? You can go either way on that one with arguments.

Its only going to be a 400w grow so nothing big. A carbon scrubber will take care of any odors and will be changed after a few months.

Great points and I appreciate your food for thought..keep 'em coming everyone.

eyes

Veteran
apt growin is risky period.theres always some sort of interuption of some sort.just like first tracks says all kinds.plumbing,fire inspector,oh we have to fix something,nosey neighbors.

bambam

Ok i did a apt grow and it went cool!! 600watt veg 600watt flower. One tent and a fan dwc style,and a air pump! DSD rez gear!

One plant gave me 8oz!

About six days after the grow was done i had some fool pop of shots in the apt. complex! I live in a very nice complex...I know what your thinking. This aint the hood ok. So with the help of the complex the cops did a fucking search of my building. In and out of every single apt..... Belive that shit!!! The way i found out about it was on a note they stuck to my door after i got home from work!!!! Dude get a house! Its not safe. I got away with it but would NEVER EVER DO IT AGIAN :badday: Sorry to be a buzz kill but :fsu:

W

Wunderkind

Another important thing to think about is genetic selection. I live in an apatment and on my last grow I had 9 plants (400w HPS + secondary T5), but just two small Sour Diesel IBL x OG Kush bx plants absolutely overpowered the rest of the plants and my odor control.

Y

yamaha_1fan

bambam said:
About six days after the grow was done i had some fool pop of shots in the apt. complex! I live in a very nice complex...I know what your thinking. This aint the hood ok. So with the help of the complex the cops did a fucking search of my building. In and out of every single apt..... Belive that shit!!! The way i found out about it was on a note they stuck to my door after i got home from work!!!! Dude get a house! Its not safe. I got away with it but would NEVER EVER DO IT AGIAN :badday: Sorry to be a buzz kill but :fsu:

So the cops just searched every apartment? How did they get in, the LL let them in? You may have had a bad day but I dont see how anything would have stuck. Exigent circumstances doesnt allow them to search every apartment, does it??

If growing in a bedroom closet, there is no plumbing to maintain so I think you are OK. Even if a maint guy came in, he is not going into a bedroom, especially if its locked. And the LL is not going to ask you why your bedroom is locked.

Random fire can happen anywhere, not just an apartment

Risky, maybe but for a small closet grow I think the risk is pretty low.

hellotheresir

Wunderkind said:
Another important thing to think about is genetic selection. I live in an apatment and on my last grow I had 9 plants (400w HPS + secondary T5), but just two small Sour Diesel IBL x OG Kush bx plants absolutely overpowered the rest of the plants and my odor control.

Gonna be Hawaiian Kona Gold, dont know too much about the smell :|. Did you happen to have a carbon scrubber? If it was failing I'd just put another one outside of the tent, can't really see the smell getting through a tent and a closet but what do I know :bashhead:

W

Wunderkind

^^3 filters totaling 21 pounds of carbon placed in & outside the closet, 3 canisters of high power odor neutralizer placed in the closet & around the apartment, and two more small carbon filters in the living room.

I didn't see two small diesel plants cutting through my protection either but it happened.

Wunderkind said:
^^3 filters totaling 21 pounds of carbon placed in & outside the closet, 3 canisters of high power odor neutralizer placed in the closet & around the apartment, and two more small carbon filters in the living room.

I didn't see two small diesel plants cutting through my protection either but it happened.

WOW, I have never had the pleasure of being in the presence of a living diesel plants, but the smell sounds...x*X*xAmAzInGx*X*x, and INTOXICATING. I know the smell of flowering plants always get me fiending for a smoke.

eyes

Veteran
About six days after the grow was done i had some fool pop of shots in the apt. complex! I live in a very nice complex...I know what your thinking. This aint the hood ok. So with the help of the complex the cops did a fucking search of my building. In and out of every single apt..... Belive that shit!!! The way i found out about it was on a note they stuck to my door after i got home from work!!!! Dude get a house! Its not safe. I got away with it but would NEVER EVER DO IT AGIAN Sorry to be a buzz kill but
exactly!too risky.can be done but for how long.ill give ya a little inside info:couple of 20 somethings live next door and they think there slick growing and not thinking nobody knows.well,first of all they took along time to get there odor control in check.then when they did cover it up,i knew it was ona all the way.lucky for them im living next door and not joe cop or anyone else.They really dont know how lucky they are.to top it off shooting off rockets and havin wild parties.not too swift at all.They might not be so lucky next time.Can u get away with it?sure,but for how long.Think about it.

b8man

Veteran
A Condo is just an apartment with a few extra facilities thrown in. It's open to the same risks as any stacked, shared property is.

I've done lots of apartment grows myself and the main things that I noticed were:

1. When you check on your plants in late flower, just opening the door will flood the apartment with the sweet pungent smell of weed. In a house you're less likely to have people hanging around the doors, but in an apartment complex the smell tends to reach the corridors and then hangs around. Do not underestimate how far the smell will travel and expect your immediate neighbours to know that you at least smoke. And yes, this means you can never piss off your neighbours because they might hold something over you.

2. As mentioned earlier, there are a fair few variables you simply can't plan for when you're living in such close proximity to so many people. And while the actual risk of a flood necessitating an entry into your apartment are low, the awareness that this can happen makes you a bit scared everytime you go home. It's just an extra worry, and it will age you.

Otherwise it's pretty easy. Make sure they get fresh air from an open window or good fan and be ultra organised unless you want to be buried in the mess. If you shared the place with a girl she'd almost always say that she can smell the plants from miles away - they always do! - so probably a good thing your alone on this one.

Good luck

B8

^^ sorry boss but the difference between a privately owned condo and apartments with maintenance men are waaaay different.
Ur rights are different if for no other reason than the contract u sign will be different; individual owner versus standard big business contract.
Also, with a landlord u have alittle added flexibility. I.e. ur upstairs neighbors house floods lets say, well they are gonna have to contact ur landlord as opposed to barging in if u were in an apartment.

PEACE

W

Wunderkind

the maintenance is different but you're still facing the same primary troubles as growing in a rented apartment; i.e. smell and electricity.

Smokerman

Veteran
Well I'm in an apartment (growing) and I gotta say to anyone thinking about it, that it is stressful as fuck. Three times in the last 6 days they have had to come in to fix plumbing issues(every time I flush it rains in the apt below me). Each time the super has called my cell and I've had to come home from work. Today I come home and ask how fucking long this will continue, plumber says it will be fixed today. He says he needs 4 hrs., so because I have to go back to work I tell the super that I want him to stay in apt while plumber is there. Just got home and appears everything is ok.
PS everything is in a sunhut in the locked bedroom.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
So the cops just searched every apartment? How did they get in, the LL let them in? You may have had a bad day but I dont see how anything would have stuck. Exigent circumstances doesnt allow them to search every apartment, does it??

Chances are in that situation the cops were looking for dead or wounded, not searching for MJ. If it were well hidden in a closet and odor under control they probably wouldn't have found it.

hellotheresir, are you going to have power outlets inside the closet? The trail of electric chords is the one thing that could lead them to open the closet door. Another thing, if there is no AC vent in the closet it's going to be mighty hot in there requiring you to leave the closet door open and then odor and being able to see in the closet becomes an issue.

Another thing you have to find out is if bugs are sprayed for monthly. You have to find out who is coming by. They will pop in for all kinds of routine scheduled maintenance like A/C filters.

79towncar

For just a closet grow I think you will be alrite... If you make sure to take care of smell, noise, locks and smoking in the apartment I think you can manage just fine.. Be careful tho as always... Nothing beats a house.