What's new

Anyone with D.I.Y. Hash Press instructions?

Keefhead

:yeahthats The bolt idea is brilliant. Makes some odd tokens, but that's OK.

Sam - Great idea about the ballast, but I have digital ballasts, fully solid state, and there is NO heat. :confused: But the pilot light in the oven is adequate to the task. Or putting it in a ziplock bag, suck out as much air as you can, and seal it, and into a pot of simmering but not boiling water. Just my :2cents: worth. I usually only do it for 8 hours or so, tightening every hour or so. Maybe I'm wrong and should go longer and see what I've missed. :bat:

Last edited:

Pactivist

this is the prototype mark2

this is the prototype mark2

Thanks everyone, but to be honest this is the second attempt with the "bolt" (btw i kinda like the name, it fits my MacGuyver nature) the first attempt involved a smaller 1/2" deep socket and while not exactly a failure - it was rather disappointing.
This version uses a larger 3/4" deep socket and is much easier to work with. I suppose that if you had a much larger hobby than I, then you could use even larger bolts and sockets.
FYI - I have a machinist friend of mine cutting down some arcade game tokens to fit my press - They have a Pac-Man on them, so the next batch will have him on both sides - cool eh? :smoke:
peAce,
pacT

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Keefhead - That screen system looks cool - got any more pics or details? What are your screen sizes? and what screens are best, I don't need half a dozen grades, but three would be nice.
H

Pactivist

I - have the same question as Haps basically - what is the optimal screen size? I believe that my screen is too large and allows too much plant matter to pass through, causing my hash to have a greenish tint. still smokes incredible though!

Haps said:
Keefhead - That screen system looks cool - got any more pics or details? What are your screen sizes? and what screens are best, I don't need half a dozen grades, but three would be nice.
H

Screen sizes are listed on each tray, in convenient line per inch, and micron measurements. Just click on the picture.
Keefhead, that is truly a wonderful piece of equipment.

Keefhead

^ Well, thanks. And thanks for pointing that out to Haps. I set the screen resolution so it was visible on the picture.

Since the picture was taken I've addes a speaker on the top for vibrating the material down through the screens. Still working on that one, selecting a sound source and all. But a tone generator works pretty good.

Keefhead

I use 5x7 speakers with a rubber cone mounting for the highest transient response, thus the maximum amount of cone travel. If you buy them on eBay, get something like that. Polk Audio is good, so are others.

So far I have driven it with music and a function generator. The squre wave at about 100 cycles seems the best so far. But there is a lot of experimenting to be done yet, and I haven't exhausted all possibilities yet. :chin:

And yes, music does well. Rap seems about the best of the music types, but more testing needs to be done. Man, I wish I had about 10 lbs of good material to run all the different possibilities. Anybody got any extra shake (yeah - right). :pointlaug

Well, enjoy your new kief box, I know you'll get some good smoke out of it.

Keefhead

Pactivist - I use silkscreen from Dick Blick, a huge artists supply house. I buy silkscreen from them in all the different sizes. Take a good look at the photo of the box, and you'll see what sizes I ended up with. You may prefer something else. My top screen is stainless, and if I do it over I won't use stainless. No need to, and it's harder to clean and maintain, plus it has creases in it that don't come out. They cause the material to puddle in the low spots instead of spreading out.

I've attached below a table of the different sizes of Dick Blick screen(from Tokahontas on OG). Just look at the micron opening, and go from there. What sizes? I use a 151 for the last of the "junk" hash. OK for cooking or BHO. My smallest is 51, and what goes through that is again used for cooking. Depending on the strain the different layers will have different material on them. Experiment, and good luck.

Last edited:

Pactivist

Thanks Keefhead, I will try the many different screen sizes available to me - but, where in your box do you find the best kif to be? my guess would be - on top of the #200 screen - reason, because anything smaller than 70micron probably is either immature resin glands or plant material. am i right? personally - I use a 130 micron screen that i picked up at a craft store, it works but not great.

Keefhead

I find it right where you said, on the 70 screen - pretty close to the results with bubblebags in icewater. I wish I had the 160/106 screen just above it to make the 200/70 even more pure. <Note to self: order screen>. :bat:

The 130 would filter everything below it all down, including the fine plant matter and other contaminants. By layering the right screens you can get all the good stuff and use the lesser grades for cooking or oil or whatever.

Latest posts

Latest posts