What's new

Anyone Watch Cosmos?

RetroGrow

Veteran
Antarctic Sea Ice Grows To New Record Extent

You already posted that, and I already debunked it. The fact that you posted it twice, ignoring the response which debunks it, kind of illustrates your close mindedness on this subject about which you are obsessed. I suggest you start your own thread on climate change, instead of mucking up this thread, which is about the show, Cosmos. Your obsession with conspiracy theories on climate change is not really relevant here, and we've all heard it before. No one actually reads your lengthy conspiracy posts. A link would suffice....then we can just ignore the links without wasting bandwidth. I posted entire articles debunking your nonsense, just to illustrate to you how obnoxious it is. You obviously ignored them, as you continue to post the same nonsense.
Cosmos on TONIGHT. Last episode. For the haters, don't watch it! For those who like it, tune in.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You already posted that, and I already debunked it. The fact that you posted it twice, ignoring the response which debunks it, kind of illustrates your close mindedness on this subject about which you are obsessed.

but they're not listening!!!

aaff2912_zps6bc34d12.gif

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Best thing about the Cosmos program: They talk about discoveries in the 70's/80's that I didn't grasp, then...still don't :D

Space Toker

Veteran
well maybe you will get it eventually, at least you're trying I commend you for that! ;)
I do understand though in all seriousness, I feel left behind with all the new info on all sorts of subjects, but I am adapting as should we all. If you feel like you are standing still in a swirl of chaos you are not alone, but we all must move forward whether we want to or not. It is amazing that I am learning new things every day in this age of the "interweb" as some fuddies say, as isolated as I am these days the world is a few keystrokes away. Remarkable and we must forge forward, not go back to where "the world was flat". This show is not everything I would wish it to be, but it is a very important start! ;)

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best thing about the Cosmos program: They talk about discoveries in the 70's/80's that I didn't grasp, then...still don't :D

Heh, don't feel too bad. Even physicists who specialize in quantum mechanics say that anybody who tells you they have a good handle on the mind boggling shit going on in QM is full of shit. But, you don't have to understand it to be amazed that this is what's going on at the itsy-bitsy micro level of our universe.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
You already posted that, and I already debunked it. The fact that you posted it twice, ignoring the response which debunks it, kind of illustrates your close mindedness on this subject about which you are obsessed. I suggest you start your own thread on climate change, instead of mucking up this thread, which is about the show, Cosmos. Your obsession with conspiracy theories on climate change is not really relevant here, and we've all heard it before. No one actually reads your lengthy conspiracy posts. A link would suffice....then we can just ignore the links without wasting bandwidth. I posted entire articles debunking your nonsense, just to illustrate to you how obnoxious it is. You obviously ignored them, as you continue to post the same nonsense.
Cosmos on TONIGHT. Last episode. For the haters, don't watch it! For those who like it, tune in.
no its different, showing you don't read either.
it's good tho.
I'm done.
you win.
save me a slice of that cosmic catatonia. :fartyparty:

RetroGrow

Veteran
Great show tonight! A fitting finale. I thought the inclusion of Carl Sagan's voice near the end was excellent, and his words were prescient and even more meaningful today then they were when he spoke them. He was way ahead of his time and brilliant in every way. The whole thing about the "blue dot", and having Voyager turn to photograph earth before it left the solar system was brilliant. I thought Neil also was excellent, and he has looked blazed the last few shows. Maybe he got that from Carl too?

O

OGShaman

I need to catch up on this show. Neil tweeted this tonight. Too funny.

Between scenes on #Cosmos. Hadrian’sVilla. Surely the cover art for my nonexistent album of love songs

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

picture.php

Space Toker

Veteran
He's blazed for sure! Look @ his eyes. They are worse than mine.

yeah in one episode he mentioned cannabis in an ironically positive light, acknowledged its enlightening quality or something like that (so yes he most definitely partakes and it helps him see new "dimensions" to the universe), the guy is an incredible genius and inspiring, more than the show, but like I said it's a start. Tyson is the man!

RetroGrow

Veteran
I guess it shouldn't be a surprise, as Carl was his mentor, and he blazed, and was outspoken about it. Neil definitely wasted in the last two episodes, which just goes to show that not all of us are stoned stupid. No question that our minds are expanded in some ways by psychedelics, and both Carl & Neil's minds are expanded just a bit more than the average guy.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Who knows, maybe Carl turned on Neil for the first time. :biggrin:

The show tonight was again superb. Anyone know if this show is only going to last one season? There is so much more science to talk about, they could do this show for a few more seasons....

RetroGrow

Veteran
‘Cosmos’ closes with a tough call for faith in science:

“What will happen the next time the mob comes?” Neil deGrasse Tyson asked at the beginning of the finale episode of “Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey,” which finished its meditation on the universe on Fox last night. Tyson, director of the Hayden Planetarium, was referring to the destruction of the ancient Library of Alexandria. While “Cosmos” has ranged through scientific history and across the universe, this latest stop in the timeline, like many others Tyson has made during the run of the show, was really about our present moment.

“Cosmos” had beautiful animation, a great score and a clear respect for Carl Sagan, who starred in the original “Cosmos: A Personal Voyage.” But what has ultimately distinguished the show, particularly at a moment where news and educational programs are often under pressure to give equal time to both sides in a debate, however unequal the case might be, is a tough-minded independence.

Ann Druyan, who collaborated with Sagan (her husband) on the first edition of “Cosmos,” said she had been gratified by how much the two networks that aired this series supported her intellectual independence.

“I was amazed that Fox and National Geographic, but more about Fox, never wanted to change a word in my scripts,” she told me in an interview last week. “That was revelatory. That Standards and Practices would write back to me after reading the script and say ‘Cannot wait to see this on television.’”

From its first episode to its last, “Cosmos” has staked out the idea that the pursuit of science can be an act of faith. “The Old Testament Bible comes down to us mostly from the Greek translations made here,” Tyson said last night of the Library of Alexandria, reminding viewers that the secular pursuit of knowledge can have benefits for believers, too.

He emphasized that his devotion to science had an element of religious awe to it. ”Some of us like it small. And that’s fine. Understandable. But I like it big,” he explained in the conclusion to the episode. “It matters what’s true.”

“For me personally, the most fulfilling spiritual experiences I’ve ever had have come to me via the insights of science,” Druyan told me, echoing Tyson’s on-screen sentiment. “And I have no argument with anyone and their belief, and I respect their right to believe anyone. And I hope that no one felt that ‘Cosmos’ was ever putting a finger in anyone’s eye. But what I’m trying to say in ‘Cosmos’ is that the universe that science reveals is more glorious than any of our ancestors anticipated. So I don’t understand why there should be a resistance to that more ancient, more vast universe than anyone dreamed.”

The final episode also suggested that science, in its own way, carries fewer risks for those who believe in it than religion does. ”It’s one of the things I love about science,” Tyson said. “We don’t have to pretend we have all the answers.”

In our conversation, Druyan acknowledged that there was no way to completely reconcile the two very different ways of thinking.

“There are ways in which they are antithetical, because faith is at the heart of many religions, and it’s really contrary to the methodology of science,” she told me. “So there are areas of conflict. But you know, the problems we face, the universe that we inhabit, it’s inaccessible without science. And I guess if you think of life and spirituality as being at home in the cosmos, then for me, science is the natural root.”

“Cosmos” spent its last episode making clear that scientific thinking faces real threats in the political climate. “Pretending to know everything closes the door to finding out what’s really there,” Tyson told audiences.

But Druyan closed our conversation on an optimistic note.

“I think [science is] less under threat today than it was seven or eight years ago, when I felt there was much more of a kind of palpable public hostility to science,” she said. “I feel that less. In fact, I was really surprised and delighted that the negative reaction to ‘Cosmos’ has been so meek and so fringe.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...loses-with-a-tough-call-for-faith-in-science/

Excellent article on Neil & the show from the New Yorker:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/02/17/140217fa_fact_mead?currentPage=all

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.anomaly.antarctic.png

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.anomaly.antarctic.png

posted twice for your benefit.

woulda posted it billions and billions of times, but you get it.

on the other end of the stick:

http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/meant80n.uk.php

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Sea Ice and Snow Cover Extent

Sea ice extent provided by the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) is available from 1979–2014 for the Northern Hemisphere, Southern Hemisphere, and Globe. Snow cover extent provided by the Rutgers University Global Snow Laboratory (GSL) is available from 1967–2014 for the North America + Greenland, Northern Hemisphere, Eurasia, and North America. All anomalies are relative to the 1981–2010 average.
Parameter: Region: Month: Place mouse on axis and left-click to pan; wheel up/down for zoom in/out (or shift key+left-click).
Source: National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC)

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/extent/sea-ice/S/6