What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone using RocketMass heating for your greenhouse?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Figures I would run across new implementations of old technology when searching for heating solutions. I'm looking for working examples if possible, though the tech looks simple enough.

Here is a great video explanation...

Douglas.Curtis

The roman baths architecture used "hypocausts," which are open areas under a floor which can be heated. Here's a photo of a roman bath system partially exposed (source britannica.com)
Ruins-hypocaust-floor-Rome-villa-source-britannica.jpg

You can see the floor is a simple build, channeling heat under it. The important bit is having the exhaust pipe/chimney (which is at this point would be full of only cold air) located where the furnace can heat it back up. It looks like the original methods did not include this part of channeling the exhaust to where it can be heated back up. How cheap is concrete again? Wow...

There are thermally activated pistons for opening greenhouse windows. I'm curious what non-electronic tools like these could be used to control temperatures. Perhaps a system of dampers which control the flow of air under the floor? Bypass/Shunt ducting of sorts?

A nice concrete pad on top and a small rocket stove and it would take very little wood to heat the greenhouse. I also saw a post somewhere on 'fuel' for rocket stoves from young trees and branches you can cut with pruning shears. Basically grow a bunch of small saplings each year, and taking trimmings from them after a couple years of growth. Hedgerows of tightly packed seedling trees. No chainsaws or logsplitters needed. :)

Last edited:

Hellablaked

Yeah that part seems clutch as it seems it would also suck the cooling hot air out at a much more forceful rate there by just getting that heat moving around better and keep me quicker sorry for the lack of punctuation I'm using to talk to text

Douglas.Curtis

Wondering how many years of operation would repay the construction of an above ground (say in a small shipping container) sand based mass?

Using a rocket stove to heat up the mass of sand, with ducting through the sand piped into the greenhouse for winter heating. Sand is usually cheap, it's the moving of it from place to place which is expensive. Rocket stoves produce significant heat from small fuel sources. Sand holds high heat levels very well, which would allow keeping a rather large greenhouse warmed.

I live in a dry climate so, theoretically, this could be used as a climate battery during the summer using swamp coolers or misting systems to chill the sand. Keep the temps down below 95 during the peak of summer.

Latest posts

Latest posts