What's new

Anyone use apple cider vinegar?

C

c-ray

some prominent ag consultants are recommending ACV as a flowering stimulator, when used in foliar applications at the beginning of flowering.. the say it helps plants produce more flowers than normal.. with soybeans for instance they say more pods per plant..

Coba

Veteran
I just Screwgled " vinegar as an Herbicide" and the first hit was the University of Illinois

Vinegar contains acetic acid. That's the weed killer. According to the EPA "Fact Sheet on Acetic Acid":

Acetic acid is found in all living organisms. It is readily broken down to carbon dioxide and water. Vinegar consists of approximately 5% acetic acid and 95% water. This is also the concentration of acetic acid when applied as a pesticide product. To be effective, acetic acid needs to contact the plant leaves; the acidity of the spray solution damages and dries out the leaves.

Vinegar is nonselective and may damage any plant tissue. It does not move within treated plants, so only top growth is killed. This means perennial weeds return. Vinegar is fast acting and most effective on young, actively growing annual weeds, and good spray coverage is critical.
sounds like the best substance to spray on my cannabis plant hoping for more flowers...

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had a pH meter once. A damn good one. I played around with Earth Juice Natural pH up and down in my solutions and teas. I would have extreme pH one way in stuff like seaweed tea and another way in guano tea. I would adjust the pH with that EJ stuff and continue to bubble to dissolve oxygen into the tea. After a few hours, the teas would go right back to where they were.
So, I experimented with mixing high pH teas with low pH teas to bring them around to a neutral pH. All the while keeping up with how much actual N-P-K was in the solution. Even with that, the pH would still shift after a few hours of bubbling.
After the fun of experimenting was over, I figured adjusting pH was foolish because it kept shifting back and forth. And I didn't feel that pouring a pH up or down solution into the soil was a good idea.
So, I ended up pouring the tea right in the soil. It always worked. BIG BUDS.
IMO if you want to play around and have a good time doing it in your garden, go for it. But this old washed up, has been has a 5 ft. X 5 ft. grow room that produces more than me and my friends can use. I spend my time with my family and friends instead of a PITA grow.
My two cents.
Burn1

Granger2

Veteran
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Vinegar-Apple-Cider-Vinegar-Cures_vq2365.htm

Here's what the Dirt Doctor says about ACV. He also recommends 3Tbl/gal as a fungicidal foliar spray.

Cray, what concentration for the bloom spray?

ACV, has live cultures known as "the Mother." Between the acidifying and the cultures, I can see how it would work as a fungicide. It also breaks down into CO2, so there's that.

I'm going to try it on by dog who is an obsessive scratcher in the summer. Takes the hair off just in front of his tail. He does this even when the fleas are under control and, my other dog isn't scratching. I'm going to start using it when I need to use pH down to see how it works. I'm always looking for more inoculants to have the most diverse herd I can. -granger

TLO

Does anyone use apple cider vinegar in compost teas, adjusting the ph of your water etc... Apple cider vinegar is supposed to have a ph between 4.5-5 and over 30 trace minerals. Im brewing one of my first batches of compost tea with some EWC, molasses and White Widow soluble mycorrhizal inoculant and the ph is at 8.4. Im using some apple cider vinegar to bring it down.

Screw buying ph down, anybody do this?

A compost tea should not have it's PH adjusted. It disturbs the microlife building in it. In a compost tea the PH will be constantly changing due to the fact of the microlife constantly consuming the nitrogen in the mix, consuming sugars, and multiplying. Due to my name I obviously use True Living Organics method and I threw my PH meter out over two years ago and not once have a problem. But there is things you will be looking for in your tea before serving to your plants.

1. Ensure it doesn't smell sour. If it's sour it's anaerobic.
2. Don't bubble it longer than 72 hours or it will most likely go anaerobic.
3. Don't use liquids in your compost tea besides water, mollasses, liquid kelp or seaweed. If your going to use a fish emulsion than only use about 1 tsp per gallon or it can become messy quick.
4. Never Ever Ever ph a compost tea even with vinegar you disturb the microlife in the tea due to the ph swing and the whole point of compost teas are to get as much microlife and biologically processed nutrients into the soil as possible.

V

vonforne

I had a pH meter once. A damn good one. I played around with Earth Juice Natural pH up and down in my solutions and teas. I would have extreme pH one way in stuff like seaweed tea and another way in guano tea. I would adjust the pH with that EJ stuff and continue to bubble to dissolve oxygen into the tea. After a few hours, the teas would go right back to where they were.
So, I experimented with mixing high pH teas with low pH teas to bring them around to a neutral pH. All the while keeping up with how much actual N-P-K was in the solution. Even with that, the pH would still shift after a few hours of bubbling.
After the fun of experimenting was over, I figured adjusting pH was foolish because it kept shifting back and forth. And I didn't feel that pouring a pH up or down solution into the soil was a good idea.
So, I ended up pouring the tea right in the soil. It always worked. BIG BUDS.
IMO if you want to play around and have a good time doing it in your garden, go for it. But this old washed up, has been has a 5 ft. X 5 ft. grow room that produces more than me and my friends can use. I spend my time with my family and friends instead of a PITA grow.
My two cents.
Burn1

I have been waiting for you to return. Nice post ohhh ancient one. lol

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been waiting for you to return. Nice post ohhh ancient one. lol

I'm here every day. I check on things like I'm paid so much to do here. :tiphat:
I just don't post much.
I got a PM from Suby. He broke his leg. He said he's doing well. Good to hear from him.
Burn1

V

vonforne

I'm here every day. I check on things like I'm paid so much to do here. :tiphat:
I just don't post much.
I got a PM from Suby. He broke his leg. He said he's doing well. Good to hear from him.
Burn1

Ya, lol the pay is great huh? I am holding out for the Health package!

Sub, left me a VM. He wants to delete his account. Looks like he will be leaving us for good before long. I was good to hear from him. His daughter is about 6 now. Damn how time flies.

Good to see you post.

V

TLO

I thought going for 72 hours resulted in mucho protozoa.

72 hours should be the maximum. You want to build up all the leaving microbial life in soil like the bacteria, fungi, protozoa and nematodes. They play important functions in organic growing in regulating nutrient uptake, processing of raw organic matter, feeding on the bad bad things in the soil and helping protect the plants root system. But allowing for a tea to go past 72 hours is asking for trouble unless you have enough air stones and air pumps to ensure the water is aerated enough for the micro organisms which is actually pretty hard to do with just one pump because the micro organisms begin to consume more air than one pump can provide and things tend to go anaerobic

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
used to use organic cider vinegar all the time with coco, tbh I actually think its better than using ph down. the only issue is you can end up using quite a lot if your ph is quite high. and the mix smells a bit vinegary but doesn't seem to have any neg effects.

Latest posts

Latest posts