What's new

Anyone out there still spinning vinyl?

G

Guest50138

Hey M8 I'm just in the process of restoring a pair of valve amps and am looking for a turntable I've had Goldmund , Sota ,Oricle, Forsell air bearing and linear tracking air bearing arm, I would like one of these but I don't have 300K
picture.php

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Wow,
I bet the platter weighs 50 pounds.

I'm running a couple of Hafler amps and a 915 preamp with the Dual on a pair of old Polk 7C (4 ohm monsters). Not quite McIntosh, Krell, Conrad Johnson stuff, but it fits my budget.

Vinyl is the shit...but with innovations like the serato you starting to see less and less vinyl. the serato is great, you no longer have to carry crates of records anymore. Just 1 labtop and two blank records. Of course you still need the tables, mixer, etc..

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
right now i'm sipping joe and spinning a disc of Cat Stevens, Catch Bull at Four.
i been converting all my vinyl to mp3 (ipod just too convenient to ignore).
most impressive album that i've listened to lately was Led Zeppelin III, so many good cuts on that one...all the pops and hisses too...
:biggrin:

Kreamy

Ha. I think I may be from a younger generation from you Sgt. but I think you'd be happy to know that there is a movement in the alternative music scene moving back to LP's. I always try to pick up new albums I'm purchasing in vinyl. The sound is a lot purer on vinyl IMO.

Tuhder

Sold my tables years ago, Had two Technics 1200's and a DJM 600.

I still have hundreds of vinyl in storage though.

SKAGITMAGIC

Anyone remember there very first LP?

Anyone remember there very first LP?

Mine was Jeff Becks Truth, I heard it on the radio, and went out the next day to white front Thats like a kmart or walmart, and bought it, man did that really start something, I bought hundreds of them eventualy

Attachments

• P1070270.jpg
    P1070270.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 11

put the needle on the record
when the song beats go like this

smokefrogg

Veteran
i found an awesome used record for $0.49 the other day, called "sounds of hawaii", each side has about 1/2 hour of the ocean and birds and whatnot from hawaii, really awesome stuff, i love crate diggin' for gems

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My first hi-end system included a TT and tape recorder. I got stoned too many times and due to either f'ng or zoning, I would forget the record was on and wore deep groves in the end of records. I also destroyed a few hi-end needles. My hi-end sales buddy used to say "TTs don't destroy needles, people do." Guilty.

Tape has it's issues with oxidation and stretching. Over decades I have upgraded CD players in search of TT type sound. You can get a Raysonic 228 for less than half the price of good high end cartridge, many run well into $10k+.

Hi-end down loads is the newest direction. The reviewers say they can sound even better than a absurdly priced TT, offering all the info (album art work, liner notes, etc). Selections (songs, or entire albums) are made from a touch screen. Google PS Audio, or Memory Player, but the competition is heating up

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Sarg..thanks for stoppin by my Best Live LP Vinyl Only thread. I'm using an old Marantz turntable which I revived with a new belt recently. A Sansuii amp, and newer speakers..love the stuff, love the scratches and skips to...some of them are sentamental and bring back as many memories as the song..DD