What's new

anyone not using coco specific nutes?(can it be done?)

N

NachoConQueso

You'll probably be all right, depending on your genetics. My girls haven't been asking for it much, but I have one strain that likes 5ml/g extra weeks 3-6. If you're running some hogs, then they'll be asking for it. It's also useful to have if you're in expanded blocks, seems to get everything ready much faster.

All in all, very impressed with the D-G line. It's a really nice, cheap, no bullshit, and easy system to run. They don't hide anything either, very upfront and professional.

Thanks for the info Sam87. I'm looking forward to trying something different.

Sam87

Cool man, I hope you get everything dialed in quick, and knock it out of the park. Happy growing!

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another rezipe/h3ad runner here after years of coco specifics. Calmag+ through veg to week 3 of bloom and pro-tekt (potassium silicate) as pH up. Switching to PBP soil/coco around week 5 for flavor country. pH is pretty much spot on, maybe tweak .1-.2 down with advanced pH down.

ambertrich

Veteran
Lots of ways to skin that cat. Lucas 8/16, Rezipe 6/9, or KISS Maxibloom 1tsp/gal. Have done all and all will work just fine. Just gotta listen to what your plants tell you they need.

Last couple runs have been:

Maxibloom 3/4-1 tsp
Potassium Silicate 1-2ml
Cal/Mg occasionally (using tap won't need as much or as often) - Epsom Salts alternative
Drip Clean 4 drops (grow in recirculating E&F)
Jungle Pond Clear-Zyme - just enough to be able to see on a knife point
GH pH down - as needed

Kool Bloom - per Rezipe

And here are the results:

ECSD @ 50 days

picture.php

Kandy Kush @ 50 days

picture.php

Camelot Kush @ 50 days

picture.php

The Prophet @ 50 days

picture.php

You get the idea. It works.

So, to answer the question in the title of the thread- YES!!

Good luck on whatever way you decide to go, and keep us updated on how it works for ya.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah i been growing with coco mostly organically for few years.

Prefer about 5 parts coco/ 3 parts diamatecous earth (sold as kitty litter) + zeolite (sold as fat trap for bbq) plus about 1 part compost/soil. Mix in some dry pelletised organic ferts and feed with molasses teas/plant soaks like comfry, nettle and yarrow.

Outdoors urine is good in the teas but it stinks too much for me indoors.

Have had some cal/mag issues in flower but mostly been easy and nice sticky buds. From the organics forums learned how to make calcium phosphate by roasting eggshells and soaking in vinegar for a couple weeks. This was used at beginning of flower to good effect. Really cleared up some ugly stripy leaf deficiency i had from some imbalance. Turned out to be my best plant and way early finish :smoke:

Biggest issues i have had is of underfeeding with nitrogen to begin with and also beacause the organics can hold a lot of water it is very possible to get too soggy. Allowing the plants to dry right out never seemed to do them any harm in fact they look superhealthy.

I had some hempy pots under a drip system outdoors this season in 100% coco. Did use a mineral fert that had crabshell, composted fish and seaweed in there for the chitin (crab) as topdress.

Worked well and needed lots of watering.

Lowman

I have been growing in coco for about 4 years. I have never used coco specific nutes till recently. Always had good results cause coco is so forgiving.

I have recently switched to Hesi coco nute line...and so far I love it.

I would hold off on the cal/mag unless you see an issue when using tap water. Of course it wouldn't hurt to add it once a week for maintenance. Adding a little extra mag instead seems much more beneficial for me.

One thing I have learned is to keep the ph between 5.8 & 6.1. I used to listen to all the so called gurus saying 5.5ish is the right ph for coco. Wrong!

O

OneTokeOver

I am running a tent of clones with 2 res. 1 with full H&G line one with Maxigrow + roots excel + drip clean in coco.

2 weeks in and both sides look identical.

Man, I hope this continues, I could save a lot of money, time and heart ache. Less potential for screw-ups too. I hate having 8 bottles in front of me mixing up 3 different ratio's. I know I fuk it up sometimes.

N

NachoConQueso

I am running a tent of clones with 2 res. 1 with full H&G line one with Maxigrow + roots excel + drip clean in coco.

2 weeks in and both sides look identical.

Man, I hope this continues, I could save a lot of money, time and heart ache. Less potential for screw-ups too. I hate having 8 bottles in front of me mixing up 3 different ratio's. I know I fuk it up sometimes.

Yeah I'm getting away from H & G myself. They produce quality nutrients, but I feel like there are better regimens out there that are more suitable for cannabis plants. I wouldn't be surprised if the Maxigrow gave you a better final product. I can't wait to try out the Dyna-Gro to see how it compares with my H & G.

Wav3F0rm

Thanks again everyone for all the input, a lot of good info here.

@SilverSurfer_OG what size pots are those??

GH down, and a very small application of Fruit Fresh (ascorbic and citric acid). The Ascorbic acid drops PH down a few points, and eliminates the pesky chloramine. From there, I make the big adjustments with phosphoric acid.

This is tap water starting at 8.5 and 200ppm. Found out the hard way that every time it rains, ppm jumps to 500+, and kills plants dead, hahaha. So regardless, sometimes I get forced into buying water.

hmm.. thats interesting, the water around here is around 120ppm, but regardless, seems to have some high alkalinity. Thats curious about the rain water runnoff, that makes sense, i bet i have that same issue, there is prolly a crap ton of sodium in the water at points. thanks.

Sam87

Yeah dude, municiple water sources jump up and down any time the watershed gets a lot of runoff.

Especially if you live in a snowy state. Here, they salt the roads with a magnesium salt, and it makes our water supply go crazy!

NotaProfessor

I use Technaflora nutes, which aren't coco-specific. I go for the full strength recommended dilution with the mod of about 50% more Cal-Mag*.

*I grow an indica, which seems to really like lots of cal-mag. When I began growing I used third- or half-dilution rates (the common recommendation for coco growers I read in lots of threads here) and my plants showed deficiencies. When I cranked up the concentration the deficiencies disappeared. I only mention this to highlight what I believe is the golden rule for growers: dial in your strain. Be sure to try to color outside of the lines.