What's new

Anyone growing in 100% Hydroton?

cyat

Veteran
rocks rock! 24/7 top feed.. double buckets .. the more water roots the more explosive... just a base , pk and drip clean for me

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Yeah they're doneit's manifolds, I want to build something like his. I hear ya Snype, I think I'll go ahead with a recirculating hydroton setup.

Thanks guys,
HGO

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
i like mine

i like mine

flood & drain linked buckets. rez on veg side of room for easy, anytime maintenance.
picture.php
picture.php

Zeke Varg

I have 24 3.5 L pots (just under one gallon) filled with hydroton in a 120cm * 90cm ebb&flow table. I flod the table every third houre for 15 minutes when the light is on, and one time for 10 minutes when the light is off. The last week before harvest, I run the system with water and add GH flora kleen in the water. I rinse my hydroton in a big plastic container which I drilled plenty of holes in the bottom. Then I shake every rootball so they fall apart. Then I wash the hole shit with hot tap water at the maximum pressure.

A

AshitMyself

best hydroton

best hydroton

I have used a lot of hydroton I like canna clay pebbles not as much dust as other brands...imo

Zeke Varg

what is the best brand of hydroton?

I use Gold Label's Hydrocorn. Dont know if they better or worse than other brands: Gold Label is the only brand of hydroclays my local hydroshop sell. But I cant complain, they work well for me..

I know that hydrocorn and hydroton are not exactly the same product. Hydrocorns do not have the same rounded shape as hydroton use to have. The corn is more irregular in shape and got a larger surface area which should be a little better for the aeration of the root system. But they are both clays and I think both will work well in a hydrosystem.

But cause the irregulary shape, hydrocorns may been a little bit harder to rinse than the traditionally hydroton...

doneit

Veteran
what is the best brand of hydroton?
The best i have ever ran was the big clear bag with a white label that said hydroton on it.. i believe they were one of the first?

A lot of the cheaper brands will give you tons of problems, CRAZY ph swings, ton of sediment breaking loose, ect..
Look for the original.

HGO.. just stick with what we discussed bro... you will love it.
If you have enough pebbles on hand to let one cycle sit while a new cycle is running, cleaning them becomes much easier.
pull the root ball out, give a shake or 2, quick rinse in ph'd water and they are ready to go for the next run.

Feed em every 6hrs with those rings like we discussed.. no need for anything else, from start to finish... DONE

You should also use at least 1" rockwool cubes, transplanting from a cloner to pebbles is very rough on em...

Get to it slacker!

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
I'm not slacking LOL, I have to take close to 500 cuts tomorrow. I'm gonna get 4" cubes of wool for the hydroton, i doubt I will be able to get the original hydroton......it's all knockoffs out there these days :(

Peace,
HGO

cyat

Veteran
hgo the new hydroton is much cleaner than the old clear bags less small pieces too

T

ThcGrower4life

the clear bags with white writing where made in Germany am sure think they stopped making it

marinemansf

As I said i also am growing in all hydroton, but I'm switching to all lava rock on my next run. Cravin Morehead told me about it, and his reasons for it are spot on. Much more of a porice material, gives the beneficial bacteria a better foothold to grow. But then again were both running bio buckets. If you want to see a good comparison between the two mediums, just check out the difference between our roots on my post. Link is in my signature. Not sure how well this translates to your method of growing. But it's worth looking into. Cause my current roots don't even hold a candle to his. His look pure white and you can't even see the black bucket at all! Comparatively, mine look like they've been smoking meth. I should say I'm fairly new to growing, but with cravin's help, I'm light years ahead of where I was when I first started.

doneit

Veteran
Stick with what gets you paid is my philosophy...

If i was 15 yrs younger and new what i know now? shiiiitttt

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
First run I did ever back in 95 was in lava rock with aluminum rain gutters pitched flood and drain all from HD. What sucked was they would hold disease it was before we knew about enzymes and such. It sucked washing them out when they were new as well. But I pulled the best numbers with just GH3part 1350 6.3
Good Luck HGO with your venture.

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
I plan to do a planter bed with a layer of lavarocks at the bottom for better flow but the bed top is going to be all hydroton.

ill edit this post with a link to the vid once I see that its been put up.