What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone from N. America moved to the Dam?

Megas

Hi so not sure if this is the right section to put this in or not but here we go.
Curious if any of you have actually given it all up sold everything to move to the Netherlands and if you have whats your story/ experience been with this? Good/Bad whatever I'd like some insight. Also curious if you knew any Dutch before you went too.

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
I applied for the paperwork (when i was like 16 haha) to be an expatriate in the netherlands. I knew 2 years of basic high school German.

I got the packet, and from what i read (in english), they want you to offer something of value to their country. So, working in a coffee shop doesnt count, i dont think. Also, i'm pretty sure that many/most europeans speak English nowadays, but its pretty pretentious of us to expect them to know English and put forth no effort to learn their languages. Bottom line, its expensive as hell there, they value their jobs for life, and the "language barrier" is enough to make most rethink moving to a'dam...

Just my two cents
ArcticBlast

Megas

I applied for the paperwork (when i was like 16 haha) to be an expatriate in the netherlands. I knew 2 years of basic high school German.

I got the packet, and from what i read (in english), they want you to offer something of value to their country. So, working in a coffee shop doesnt count, i dont think. Also, i'm pretty sure that many/most europeans speak English nowadays, but its pretty pretentious of us to expect them to know English and put forth no effort to learn their languages. Bottom line, its expensive as hell there, they value their jobs for life, and the "language barrier" is enough to make most rethink moving to a'dam...

Just my two cents
ArcticBlast
Understandable, I'm a dual citizen myself so know how much the paperwork can start. I'm also not 18 and looking to move somewhere to work in a coffee shop all day. But if there was something nice or good job offering for people who speak english I'd be tempted.

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
you'd better know german and/or dutch, seriously!

But good luck man!
ArcticBlast

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
Why would you go to Holland? There are many more cannabis-tollerant countries out there that don't require so many hoops to jump through and so much money to spend.

Want Europe? Check out Spain or Switzerland.

Australia is another option.

Many parts of Central/S America and of course, Canada.

My point is that the time it will take for you to learn dutch, and the effort involved in finding a company that will sponsor/send you there (almost necessary in this economy) you could easily go somewhere else with just as lenient of laws.

That being said, if you want insights from people who have expatriated to the Netherlands, do a google search on "expatriat amsterdam blog" or similar. You will find plenty, most of whom were transfered by work or had a spouse native to the country.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
petrol taxes mean that europeans have been paying in excess of $5.00per gallon for years already, income tax there will break your heart & wallet.......

I say go for it!

Megas

Why would you go to Holland? There are many more cannabis-tollerant countries out there that don't require so many hoops to jump through and so much money to spend.

Want Europe? Check out Spain or Switzerland.

Australia is another option.

Many parts of Central/S America and of course, Canada.

My point is that the time it will take for you to learn dutch, and the effort involved in finding a company that will sponsor/send you there (almost necessary in this economy) you could easily go somewhere else with just as lenient of laws.

That being said, if you want insights from people who have expatriated to the Netherlands, do a google search on "expatriat amsterdam blog" or similar. You will find plenty, most of whom were transfered by work or had a spouse native to the country.

Canada one city I'm a citizen of is only soso in terms of laws, and it was getting much better but now ehhh.... Maybe if Emery gets let go or we get rid of Harper. Other cities would be interesting. I'm kinda surprised Spain is tolerant of it since they are fairly conservative I thought. I just like gardens and coffee shops in general so I think Holland would be fun. Of course I'd visit before I'd move.

El_Kabong

you'll be homesick in a matter of weeks, the novelty will wear off, the language barrier will exclude you from even friendly conversation never mind when people intend to talk around you, i could be wrong here but unless you have a strong friend/family base abroad even some of the smallest failures might be too overwhelming to overcome.

please understand that even the simplest of problems or issues will be amplified, none of that working to your advantage.

Megas

you'll be homesick in a matter of weeks, the novelty will wear off, the language barrier will exclude you from even friendly conversation never mind when people intend to talk around you, i could be wrong here but unless you have a strong friend/family base abroad even some of the smallest failures might be too overwhelming to overcome.

please understand that even the simplest of problems or issues will be amplified, none of that working to your advantage.
I've been living away from home right now for 5 years, I don't miss it much and I hate where I am now even more. The way I see it I doubt it could get much worse lol

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
petrol taxes mean that europeans have been paying in excess of $5.00per gallon for years already, income tax there will break your heart & wallet.......

I say go for it!

but they have AMAZING public transit systems>>>

metro,,,taxis,,,,train,,,tram,,,

you can get around quite easily. most people i know in EU

do not even own vehicles....

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Of course people that relocate to another country are going to experience some culture shock and miss some things they use to enjoy in their home country but it is an obstacle that can be overcome. If your desire to leave your place of residence and/or your desire to live elsewhere is strong, you will make it. Dont let fear talk you out of it, if relocating is what you really want for your life. It IS do-able. IMHO, Holland is worth it! :joint: Peace n Love.

Prof Sublime

Hard working pothead
Veteran
My boy moved to DAM this was a few years ago but this is what I remeber on how you do it. You gotta 1st get your 6 month visa and within that 6 months you need to have a dutch bank account with 5000e in it. You also need to make a good business proposal plan. From what I gather the Dutch want you to give locals jobs and the goverment tax dollars so if you do that they will let you stay. After those 6 month you go before some people pay like another 300e take a test and hope they like your business propsoal. Then every year you have to get ur Visa renewed then after 5 years you get a permenate visa. I might missed a few things and things might of changed, my friend moved there Sept 06...

B.Grant

Go for it! If movin' to Holland's your dream? You follow your dream man! Don't ever let'em crap on yer dream, man! You can friggin' do it!

*mr.mike*

If you want to check out what it's like to move someplace in europe, and you're not sure about it, then consider educational/student visas.

You could go to study a language in a country where you thought you wanted to live. That would get you the visa easy. Also, living as a student means you get very cheap housing through the university.

Once you have that "base" you can start to figure if and where you would fit in. You can start to meet people and get contacts for work, and then the other things that make life fulfilling.

Six years ago I went to a european country that wasn't even in the EU. I went to study the local language because I wanted to live there. Within two years I was married and had employment.

If you can do it now, do it. Or, live with the regret of never trying.

Megas

citizenship or just a long visa?
Citizenship heck I got 2 already whats one more. Have experience in this dept?

If you want to check out what it's like to move someplace in europe, and you're not sure about it, then consider educational/student visas.

You could go to study a language in a country where you thought you wanted to live. That would get you the visa easy. Also, living as a student means you get very cheap housing through the university.

Once you have that "base" you can start to figure if and where you would fit in. You can start to meet people and get contacts for work, and then the other things that make life fulfilling.

Six years ago I went to a european country that wasn't even in the EU. I went to study the local language because I wanted to live there. Within two years I was married and had employment.

If you can do it now, do it. Or, live with the regret of never trying.
I think whats scaring me a bit too is the fact that if I did go to a University there, the bureacracy and such of it would be the scary part since I dont know the language. Granted I hear many Dutch people know english, but how well I Dunno. So makes me nervous when going to school there I'd just hate to get frustrated because I couldn't even fill out my class list.

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think whats scaring me a bit too is the fact that if I did go to a University there, the bureacracy and such of it would be the scary part since I dont know the language. Granted I hear many Dutch people know english, but how well I Dunno. So makes me nervous when going to school there I'd just hate to get frustrated because I couldn't even fill out my class list.

Most Dutch people, except the very old and very young speak Dutch fluently. Most are very helpful towards English only speakers. Dont let fear rob you of a dream. Pot n Peace.

Latest posts

Latest posts