What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone ever get the urge to do math when high?

lord siva

If you add three thirds do you get a whole? I Can't.
1/3=.333333
+
1/3=.333333
+
1/3=.333333
=
1=.999999
=
?

jinxx

If you add three thirds do you get a whole? I Can't.
1/3=.333333
+
1/3=.333333
+
1/3=.333333
=
1=.999999
=
?

1/3 expressed as a decimal number has an infinite number of decimals. If you add those 3 together then you will get a number that's infinitely close to 1 (which makes it 1) or if you prefer:

x -> 1 for #decimals -> infinity

and since you have to consider an infinite number of decimals then x = 1.

lord siva

Jinxx, would you say that number one is not finite? I had always viewed one as a whole not a fraction of a whole no matter how small missing piece may be. Warning when blazed, trying grasp the magnitude of infinity may bring on panic attacks.

blackone

Veteran
Yes TomHill is correct - .9999... is actually 1. Else it would be the neighbor number of 1, and real numbers don't have neighbors - there will always be numbers in any interval unless the start and end of the interval is the same number. Since there are no numbers between .9999... and 1 they must be equal.
Never seen such an elegant proof for it though, props:)

Also a good explanation:
http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.0.9999.html

Tom Hill

Veteran
Master Shake,

Try looking at it this way.

If (A)=(B), and (C)=(D), then (C)-(A) = (D)-(B).

(A) is X, (B) is .999..., (C) is 10X, and (D) is 9.999...

So, (10X - X) = (9.999... - .999...)

9X = 9.000

X = 1

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
no not lately but now that we are on the topic does anyone have a good website that teaches math? i am absolutly aweful at math except the basics and lately the kids have been having homework that i havent been able to help them with. any idea hwere i can get educated?

Stevius

I always found hash to be somehow the best for mathematics, physics, and such.

However... some mind-washing-tripy strains where better for writing essays :laughing:

Anyone here heard of Ralph Abraham?

ralph2.gif

He's a professor emeritus of mathematics at UC Santa Cruz and a contemporary of Terence McKenna. He specializes in dynamic systems and chaos theory as well as developing methods for creating visual mathematics.

If he and McKenna got along at all, I'm willing to say that they smoked a ton of weed together. I heard in a podcast from Jan Irvin that he (Ralph Abraham) and another professor or researcher split a pound of DMT and smoked it over the course of 4 or 5 months.

Not a pound of mimosa hostilis bark or extract. A POUND OF DMT!

For those who don't know, DMT is one of the most powerful hallucinogens known. If you smoke it by the time you exhale you will already be falling into the visionary state and your entire world is nearly instantaneously replaced with another that can sometimes contain "aliens" or entities that seem foreign to yourself. And it all lasts about 10-15 minutes.

Very nice tool to squeegee that 3rd eye nice and clean.

Mathematics FTW!

John Allen

It just totally depends on the person, I've never been that "into" mathematics although I have no problem dealing with numbers while stoned.
I tend to want to read a ton while high tho.

Tom Hill

Veteran
That the square root of 2 can never be represented by the ratio of two numbers a/b is another one.

According to legend one of Pythagoras' students discovered this and showed the proof to Pythagoras, who then had him executed by drowning because it was blasphemy. He didn't want to believe in irrational numbers. I guess the word got out anyway. -T

NO I don't get caught up in that schizophrenic competition and don't expect things to be geometric!

dumb fucking college students!

predominately barred from Columbia or what! I just read fat on the drug and move away from all of you!

It seems I get creepy and have to live with the past~!

oh shucks seems you all lived it up!

Frozenguy

Veteran
still my favorite...

Let X = .9999...

then 10X = 9.9999....

subtract left sides and right sides of the equations

10X = 9.9999...
- X = .9999...
------------------------------
9X = 9.0000000

divide both sides by 9:

X = 1

.999 = 1

Q.E.D! -T

If x=0.9999
10x=9.999 not 9.9999

With 10x=9.999, it comes out true.

0.999 does not equal 1
Not in this sense anyways.

I think you're thinking about the limit of the sequence of numbers.

Where 9/10+9/100+9/1000+9/10000........infinite is summed up and equals 1.. (technically, for engineering purposes)

Tom Hill

Veteran
... = infinite.

9X = 9.000

X = 1

Yeah, they may call this online or in classrooms "the limit of the sequence of numbers" (I'm a high school drop out and saw that term first on the link Blackone posted). Shall we move on to vortex's where the exterior is measurable but the interior not? -T

IGrowTrees

okay... I was never good at math until I got to college and actually gave a flying funk...I actually listened in class and asked questions, solved problems on the board, did my homework, did good on all tests and finals...all while smoking the good herb..Im not saying weed gave me superpowers to do math, but I found that if I wake n baked when I got up at 8AM, I acutally relaxed and focused on math from 9 AM to 10AM when in class...I actually averaged a 98% in all my math classes in college.

Frozenguy

Veteran
... = infinite.

9X = 9.000

X = 1

Yeah, they may call this online or in classrooms the limit of the sequence of numbers (I'm a high school drop out and saw that term first on the link). Shall we move on to vortex's where the exterior is measurable but the interior not? -T

My bad lol. When I saw the "..." after you said "This is my favorite" or whatever, it confused me and I guess my sub conscious treated it as how you normally end sentences.. I usually use two periods. I don't know why..

i do this sometime but always thought of it as ocd. cant stand to see odd numbers.if i can i'll change them,either physically or in my head.

master shake

Master Shake,

Try looking at it this way.

9X = 9.000

X = 1

the only unknown is X, for that you only need 1 equation. not 2 equations for 1 unknown :p. gimme some DC then I might understand ;) does this just prove infinity?

Latest posts

Latest posts