What's new

Anyone else think the zombie apocolypse would be a cake walk?

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
I wouldn't mind the target practice,,, and I have always wondered how a headshot with my crossbow would be..320fps 119 fpsi..yeehaw...field tip vrs broadhead and maybe expanding tip just for fun as it prob wouldn't penetrate skull far....yeehaw

:laughing: practice makes perfect.

BigJohnny

Is it proven that only a zombie can turn you into a zombie?
What if the disease is not spread only by the zombies, but by something else too.
Lets say rats, or fleas. Or marihuana plants!

Nice tread ;)

Well since I can really only base my thoughts on the current run of zombie fiction, I don't think that would be an issue.

In pretty much all zombie fiction animals are never affected. This isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility either as animals generally can't contract human diseases/virii as our DNA is so different.

Now maybe some animals like monkeys or things with similar DNA (rats too perhaps) would pose a threat, and I have to say an 800Lb silverback gorilla would be a pretty terrifying zombie animal. But zombies turn into brain eating cannibals, so maybe zombie rats would only attack other rats?? Rats are prey animals as well so how would their instincts to run and hide be affected by a zombie virus?

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love zombie genre movies/games/etc, but the more I think about it, the more I think that we wouldn't have too much to worry about.

Here's why;

Firstly, the zombies would rot. Since we know it's a virus and not magic then it stands to reason that after the muscle tissue has rotted to a certain degree the zombies would lack any form of locomotion.

Even if the virus/mutation somehow slowed rotting, even by a factor of 100, that would mean that eventually the zombies would "die" on their own. But, other people could become infected helping to keep the zombie population going, however because the population would be so sparse the number of "dying" zombies would outweigh the number of newly infected.

Secondly, they are slow moving, I don't care what any fiction has come up with, due to the lack of muscular structure there is no way that zombies could be runners.

Stay away from swarms and I'm pretty sure you could mow down zombies all day with relative safety.

Here's the big one though, something I haven't really seen mentioned anywhere, WINTER!

People down south, you're screwed..... but anywhere the temperature drops below freezing there would be frozen zombies.

Even if those zombies maintained consciousness they would be frozen and immobile, leaving them open for humans to slaughter them.

Add to that the fact that there would be no snow plows or any kind of snow removal services so it would be nigh impossible to move through the snow as a clumsy zombie, thus ensuring the non-infected's survival.

Now food obviously becomes an issue, but I think humans are smart enough to be able to work that out and there are ways to grow your own food....so I don't even think that would have as great an effect as you see in fiction.

So what are your guys thoughts on this matter?

my thoughts???

as soon as you underestimate your enemy you're doomed.......

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
So if one eats some zombie, is there some immune response?

Like in one of the Alien movies Riply had some alien dna which
kept her from getting eaten or used as a host.

Zombie concept is a great tool for writers looking to avoid any
stigma connected to an actual adversary.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think anyone can really argue with that statement, but since, for the time being, zombies are fiction we can't really over or underestimate them....can we ?

really???

if your response to any opposing viewpoint is to claim that zombies don't exist then what would be the purpose to this thread in the first place???

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
I agree with the premise that zombies are a metaphor, but don't agree with the conclusion of them being humans in bad situations willing to do anything...

Keep in mind that zombies are after your brains, not after food, clothes, shelter and basic human rights, on the contrary.

We already are in the zombie apocalypse, in case you have not noticed...what is it that the brain signifies again?

Hehehe...

Peace and watch your ass, I mean, brain!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Every city has their zombies...

most of em sit around their houses watching Maurie Povich or Oprah or Ellen or...
They're leaches on society due to their apathetic lifestyles.
They don't give a shit about anybody but themselves & sometimes that's even questionable.
They typically reach their ultimate goals early in life & have nothing to look forward to for the future.

They're zombies because they are thoughtless!
They reside among the wealthy & the not so wealthy.

When/if the shit ever does hit the fan,
They will not last long because of their lack of resources & their inability to think in a stressful situation.
The zombies are currently running the ground show but the tide is quuckly turning.

Everything I said is bull...

Goldberry

When/if the shit ever does hit the fan,
They will not last long because of their lack of resources & their inability to think in a stressful situation.

You mean spending three hours a night calling in votes for singing "reality" competitions isn't a survival skill? ಠ_ಠ

Maybe I've spent too much time around the type of zombie you mention. In fact, I was raised among them...

LuvBuds

I live out in the sticks, indulge in my second amendment rights, and have plenty of space for growing food...and weed to make me smile.

If you are into this kind of thing may I recommend The Zombie Survival Guide-Complete Protection From The Living Dead by Max Brooks (Mel Brooks' son) the guy who wrote World War Z, it includes weapons and combat techniques, defensive/offensive/on the run strategies. If you like that also check out Closure Limited by the same author it has some good short Zombie stories.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Y'all in the US are screwed...up here in the great white north we will be just fine...

Frozen zombie head vs 870 with 00 :)

Now the zombie mice (Z nation) or zombie wolves might be another story.

Tho since the body temp of zombies is whatever the ambient temp is they will freeze also :p

Seriously tho...There are already Zombies among us.....Visit a crack shack sometime...nothing but zombies in there.....and the brain equivalent is anything of yours they could sell for some rock

Goldberry

Seriously tho...There are already Zombies among us.....Visit a crack shack sometime...nothing but zombies in there.....and the brain equivalent is anything of yours they could sell for some rock

You guys are slaying me with your loose interpretations of what it means to be "zombified". :biggrin:

JointOperation

what kind of zombie we talking about .. walking dead.. or the strain.. or old school zombie type shit.. because I think it really depends if it zombies...

but zombie appoc is more or less the same as a huge ebola outbreak.. or mass starvings like if we had a huge food shortage or something like that.. or water.. its all going to cause the same panic and looting and just animalistic results.. lol