What's new

Anyone else really hate cloning?

scurred

I dont get cloning, was helping my friend yesterday who is a caregiver... took 8 cuttings and put them in root riot cubes with clonex gel and solution. Today they all look dead. Stems are bent over, leaves are wilted. He has been spraying inside the dome a couple times a day, and has 1 26w blue cfl over it. We've tried in the past with similar results, is this normal??

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some strains are really hard to clone,ive tried all the different methods.The water cloners ,the cubes ect.I always go back to dirt in a pot with a dome,high humidity.Ya do have to check it every 3 days.Remove any bottom leaves if they yellow,to prevent rot.

Some will wilt over ,sometimes i think this is strain dependant or not having a big enough cutting,often these will perk up after 5 days or so.I usually go with the strains that are easy rooting.I have a kush and several sweet tooths ,that stand up and start growing the day they enter the dome.This is great when ya want to do 50 at once with %100 success.

I hope you get good results ,i bet your cloning one of those finicky types...good luck

nomaad

Veteran
I love cloning. Come mid February i will be doing it 10 hours a day running 240 sites worth of aero and countless trays of clonex plugs (rapid rooters will work fine too).

pH is very, very important. make your cuts under water and put a few drops of hormex or cloning solution into the water... keep it pH'd as close to 6 as possible... that's a general rule... some specific strains like it a little higher or lower, but generally 6 will keep things happy.

use a humidity dome (for the trays) and wipe it clean every day. keep the root zone between 80 and 85 for solid state and your water temp at 65-70 for aero.

Don't overwater your medium and give me a little schpritz of something with rooting hormone to the leaves on the first day.

With aero, i use a Botanicare Aquashield to keep the water in my cloners from getting nasty. Forms colonies of beneficial microbes that you can watch grow in the rez. never any stink problems.

good luck. a little practice and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
:plant grow:Its not so much about laziness I have notice it has alot to do with temp.I have a home made cloner bucket like the areocloner and if my temps are between 72 and 76 i get my clone in 7 - 10 days rooted and for each degree I drop it takes a extra day or 2:watchplant:!!like for example if my bucket temp is at 70 they will take 2 weeks!!!Temp is super important on a clones survival!!!and when your temps go up and down even a couple degrees clones will not flourish!!!!!:wave:

MrBlue2

Make sure you cut off all the fan leaves. i find that if i leave to much vegetation on my clones they will wilt a bit in the beginning and i will have a lower success rate overall. My friends actually make fun of me for how small my clones are, but if i take really small clones they never wilt and i usually get a 100% success rate. experiment a little bit and you'll get the hang of it, its really not that hard.

kcbudz31

My cloning method is so dumb simple I can't complain. Insert cut into chunky perlite cup, keep moist but not soaked, place under 13w cfl. On the 7th day water with 1/4 strength nutes. In two weeks the clone will be just shy of rootbound if you start with an 8oz cup. If you're doing no-veg sog you can just clone straight into your solo cup or soda bottle and never have to worry about transplanting billions of cuts

BPJR

You might have a look at the cloning tutorial I put together. It has been successful for me after lots of trial and error. Its just one of many ways to clone.

Most importantly though don't give up.

Cheers,
Bobby

C

CANNATOPIA

Some times they bend over for me & would appear to be suffering or dead but in a few short days they pop back up as if nothing were wrong. Some do this less than others & some are much faster at reproducing roots than others. Assuming everything is correct with temps etc I would say leave them in there longer & see what happens. Also don't forget to "Burp" the dome every once and awhile. Fresh air is a good thing. ;) Also Over watering is a bad thing. I use soil & can let it get rather dry. Just get it damp. No more. Then I put about 1/4 cup water in the dome tray which makes it like a sauna in there which the plants love & I never have to spray. ;) Best of luck to you friend.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
I use rapid rooters and rockwool depending on the day, but lately I've been liking rockwool a little bit more given the amount of cuttings I've got on hand.

the trick is to keep em MOIST not WET. (the rootzone area, I NEVER mist)

on the 2nd day I take off domes until I see more than one plant showing signs of a light wilting going on, this can be anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple hours on brand new plants (depends on your environment), then I re-dome. Next day, or even later that evening, I take it off a little longer.

aggressive hardening off (dome removal) will lead to faster roots.

I've got clones that dont need a dome after 3 days from being cut, regardless of not having roots, they are absorbing more through the stem than through the leaves from that point forward, thus inducing rooting faster.

oh btw I use Clonex, have for years, however I JUST picked up some Dip N Grow on the advice of a colleague that has cloning down pat. I'll let ya know how it goes.

C

CANNATOPIA

Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing these results. I do & find basically the same thing as you. Only diff is I use soil & Clonex not cubes.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Anyone else hate cloning ?

Tx for reminding me ....got to go take some more $#@!&*@$ clones !!

and i'd really rather be sailing in Baja ...

* secret is -->happy moms , happy clones ...all else being equal like
proper temp humidity control.

** also like what Zen Master & nomad hav to say but use Dip N Grow ,
u can root a tooth pick with that stuff ;)

*** Canatopia , how does ur candy kush smell?

I kind of like taking clones actually. Keep it simple here, razor sharp fiskars, rockwool cubes, Dip'n'grow, GH nutes, superthrive, PH to 5.8 and remember your spray bottle:)

Take the hood off a couple times a day and let them breathe for 5-10 min on day2. Take it off a bit more day 3-4, by the 5th day day the hood can be taken off completley and some nice explosive roots should be a few days away.

opt1c

Veteran
3 days water before taking cuts helps me; i also run a big ez120 with an aquarium chiller; i never empty it out; once the water chemistry is on point i just replace rooted clones with new cuts as necessary... sucks and uses a grip of power/space (the cloner has its own 4x4 tent) but i'm able to clip; dip; and walk away till i need em :joint:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
CLONERS- a collection of various methods Pick a method, any method.

No other area will such disparate results from identical procedures. What saves my crop wipes yours out and vice versa. Domes are the prime example. Many say Domes and 90% humidity are required. Many say domes are death incarnate and should never be used.

The most important thing is resolve. Don't give up, tweak your method till it works or toss it out in favor of another. The day will come when 100% success is the norm and you'll laugh at these days. Really.

ciboha

Clonex, perlite, pure water, no humidity dome, no spraying, basically 100% success rate and I usually wait until week 2. Maybe I just have easy to clone strains.

P

Purple Monster

I use rapid rooters and rockwool depending on the day, but lately I've been liking rockwool a little bit more given the amount of cuttings I've got on hand.

the trick is to keep em MOIST not WET. (the rootzone area, I NEVER mist)

on the 2nd day I take off domes until I see more than one plant showing signs of a light wilting going on, this can be anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple hours on brand new plants (depends on your environment), then I re-dome. Next day, or even later that evening, I take it off a little longer.

aggressive hardening off (dome removal) will lead to faster roots.

I've got clones that dont need a dome after 3 days from being cut, regardless of not having roots, they are absorbing more through the stem than through the leaves from that point forward, thus inducing rooting faster.

oh btw I use Clonex, have for years, however I JUST picked up some Dip N Grow on the advice of a colleague that has cloning down pat. I'll let ya know how it goes.

that sure seems like alot of trouble for cloning, hardening off a clone?

im just curious if you've tried without a dome at all? i have never used a dome and i get near 100% in like 10 days or something, in rockwool, pure peat, pure perlite, rapid rooters, jiffy pellets, anything. my RH ranges from 40-50%

peace and puffs

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
oh god, i hate cloning with a PASSION!!!!!!

that reminds me, have to cut four trays today, fucking excited!