What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone else find Cannabutter revoulting?

talos4

I love the high you get from eating cannabis, but can't stand it otherwise. The smell of cannabutter cooking literally makes me want to gag, and the flavor does make me gag. The last time I made cannabutter I made it in a crockpot and simmered it for about 16 hours. Definitely the strong way to make it.
The other time I made it on the stove with butter and water, you know the procedure. Not as strong but still tasted horrible. Just recently I put a half ounce in a batch of brownies with regular butter, and there it was, the brownies had that sickening gagging cannabutter flavor.
Am I making this stuff too strong or does the taste and smell of cooking with cannabis make you sick? Anyway, because it's such a great stone, what I've been doing is putting a large pill sized piece of cannabutter on a plastic spoon, then I put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes, then I take it out and swallow it with milk like a pill. Works great, but wish I could find a way to enjoy cooking with cannabis.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
How much weed to how much butter? I just tried the 1 oz of weed in 1 lb of butter recipe. I found it weak, probably due to using low quality trim rather than decent bud.
I'm going to either double the trim weight or try an oz of actual bud next time.

I didn't find the smell bad with the stove method but, like you, I'm not wild about the taste either.

talos4

I put one ounce in with 2 lbs of butter and simmered in crockpot with no water, definitely the strng way to make it. The stove method I used 1/2 ounce for a pound of butter, simmered for about 45 minutes, then then fridge and seperate. Weaker but more normal. Still smell and tastes was horrid. Browniews with .5 ounce and normal butter, could taste that crappy flavor. Damn there must be a way to make it taste better.
I heard soaking the bud for 24 hours in water first can clean some of the chloraphyl out, but don't think it would make that much difference.

talos4

Oh dude I love your freezer, wish I could find an old one and make it into something like that for a seperate second grow

KindBudKid

I've found that you have to use at least 4oz. per 1lb. of butter for decent effect.. My friends told me that it was rather strong and the high lasted a good 24hrs.. My last batch of bbutter had 157grams of trim/bud to a lb. of butter.. It was awesome.. Felt like you were floating...

MedTokeRx

I make butane honey oil right into a mini crock pot i have and then let it dry till its goey. then i melt butter or chocolate or whatever into it and stir. you have to stir for quit a while to get it all. that stuff is sticky. you can still taste it but not half as much as when you simmer the weed in the butter.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
I've only had really good potent results when I made it in a crock pot over 2 full days. On high when I can tend to it and add more water, on warm or low when I'm gone or snoozin'. Gets really strong tasting then but it'll make you giggle to yourself for a little bit while realizing that you've lost some bodily function. he he he...

I'd like to try that bho method up to there.

Toad

I've put about an ounce of bud into a pound of butter and had great results - potency and taste. The butter turned a light green color.

When I added about a cup to a recipe of blueberry muffins, the high was killer.

I just finished another batch of butter using a higher quantity of trim leaves that I ground up - probably about 1.5 oz.

FallenBuddha

Chat Mod
Veteran
I plan on doing some experimentation with water curing the trim before i make my next bit of butter. The funky flavor is pretty much the chlorophyll and a few of the other compounds that actually make up the leaf matter. A suggestion if you dont lake the flavor, using it in say spice cake chocolate based products or other intensley flavored items will mask it.

peace -fb

JRace

I cannot stnad the taste. Ever since I ate too much of poorly prepared cannabutter I cannot even smell it without the gag reflex.

To combat the tast I would first boil the herb. THen I would drain the water, add new water bring back to boil and then add the butter. Boil for a couple more hours then let it sit in a cool area. The butter rises, the herb sinks. Scrape off the butter and your good to go.

My brain still kicks in the gag reflex though. Did a blind taste test, and was told that the cupcake had cannbutter (when it did not) and the gag reflex kicked in.

Now I just use cannabrex.

GrassRoots

what about clarifying the butter. I've read about people doing the boiling water on the stove method. Then getting the chunk out after it solidifies in the fridge and remelting the butter in simmering water for like a half hour, then solidifying it again. Repeat this 2-3 times and your butter looks normal and tastes better (according to others).

Ipsissimus

Good idea on the water cure FallenBuddha!

Watch your temperatures when cooking the butter. You get a much stronger bad taste with rolling boils. The better the material, the less you have to use too. Try low heat and good nuggets, it will taste awesome.

grumio

How about tincture? Green Dragon is quite strong tasting, but the taste is different from c-butter & might not be as gag-inducing to a particular person, and it's used in such small quantities (3-5 ml/half tsp- 1 tsp) that it's pretty easy to mask.

Also, it's best taken in one shot (mixed with an ounce or two something to mask it), so it's down right away - you don't have to sit there chewing & swallowing something you hate for several minutes.

I soak cracked cardamom seeds & broken up cinammon stick in the Everclear for a couple of hours, strain, & then make the tincture; that GREATLY improves the taste. Sometimes I'll use it just like bitters in a mixed drink.

boroboro

Another tincture fan here :) I cook 1-1.5 ounces into 750ml 151 proof Bacardi. You can definitely taste the weed, but I enjoy it. Then 90 minutes later I really enjoy it.

Seriously, though, tincture diluted in coffee, tea, beer, etc. I find enjoyable. The taste reminds me of the smell of the plants.

Hello!

The butter I make water method tastes horrible. Once I tried to eat sandwiches with it, and I almost thrown out. Maybe it's because I used mostly leaf material, and after-hash waste.

More experienced friend told me to dissolve butter once again with water, then put it into the fridge to harden, pour out the water, and so on for few times. He says the butter looses its ugly taste after such treatment, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Edit: hehe, it was all said before, sorry GrassRoots I haven't read your post, my head starts to ache when I read or write too much english. Peace.

Best way to cook with cannabis I find a brown pastry, made with honey, cinnamon, clove and other spice, its very aromatic, and a taste of weed is almost imperceptible in it. In Poland we call it piernik, is it the same You call brownies?

All the best!

Last edited:

RAGGA MON

MAKE A TING
Veteran
GrassRoots said:
what about clarifying the butter. I've read about people doing the boiling water on the stove method. Then getting the chunk out after it solidifies in the fridge and remelting the butter in simmering water for like a half hour, then solidifying it again. Repeat this 2-3 times and your butter looks normal and tastes better (according to others).

Bingo!!! this gets rid off all the clorophyll that may be remaining,,leaving the butter with a much better taste.

tobaaaac

I like the clarifying idea. I'm going to try that with my next edibles. I also like the water curing idea and thought of it before I read it, but clarifying sounds like the deal.

Latest posts

Latest posts