What's new

Anybody using an XL extraction tube?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Understood, the SS turkey baster I used for my first few runs worked well though in small quantities and I never had anything to worry about when extracting or emptying/cleaning. Whereas I am now wary of using glass after my only experience with it. As I mentioned though this one is much thicker, and well as having a dome shaped injecting end which appeared to be uniformly thick. If it has these qualities and is annealed, should I give it a shot?

I have to weigh my options...return the XL and wait two weeks for a smaller model SS extraction tube. Return the XL for the glass extraction tube. Use the XL (I would be able to do runs immediately) and do a few things to alleviate the problems associated with it's size. What do you think?

Thanks for the help.

I personally would return the XL for a smaller diameter tube, stainless or glass.

Long term, I think you will be happier with a stainless one. I really like glass ones, but I've also chipped a few.

All of my metal ones, despite being whacked with a rubber mallet, and some even a board, are still pristine.

A quick way of emptying really long columns, is a large diameter electricians flex bit in a battery operated drill. I mark the bit with white electrical tape, to show how far it should go in, and work it back and forth in columns as long as 4', while periodically whacking it with the mallet.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh okay I thought you were saying that using the wadded up filters on the injecting end helped prevent blowback from that end. But as I understand now, it only helps to distribute butane uniformly over the material and you do something different to prevent blowout on the extracting end. Is blowback on the injecting end something to be worried about without a secured or stationary cap? The rubber plug on mine that you push down with your hand has me a little worried.

With the thermos method, you put in the freezer then take it outside and pour though some type of filter, then purge as usual?

Yes you can also blow the stoppers out of the top of tubes, that are constructed that way. I would secure it so that it couldn't blow out, if it isn't already.

To my discredit, I've also blown the whole filter assembly off the discharge end more than once, by not securing them tight enough. It makes a real mess of a pot of oil.

Yes, after the soak, I just pour it through a fine chinoise strainer and coffee filter it again after redissolving in alcohol for winterization, or pour the butane through a large restaurant sized coffee filter.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it would be difficult to secure.. I can only think of 1 way right now ans that's to used a long thin bolt. Drill through the tube and stopper bolt it down. I think the Tane should still go through..Got any other ideas??

Thats incorrect the Okief has a rubber stopper on the intake with a hole for the butane to enter..I have never had a blow out using it.

I thought it was secured but I took another look at the okief website and you're right they're all push down rubber stoppers like mine, even on the XL (though their XL isn't quite as large as mine from extraction experts). Good to know you haven't had blowout, do you push it down at all while blasting or just go for it? Do you pack tight, loose, somewhere in between? Do you just shoot tane through til you're done or shoot in increments?

Mine does not...

that what is shown on there website.. The single tube I got has a rubber stopper ... I bought an extra kit here it is... You might have got a modified one KB did you buy yuor direct from Okief?? When you get your camera I like to see how they mad it and how it attaches..

http://okief.com/bho1.html

What you get:
( x2 with x-tractor II)
1 base with tube(s)
1 rubber stopper
2 pieces of 120 micron stainless mesh
1 hose clamp (secures mesh)
1 free oil vial
Detailed instructions
Lifetime unconditional warranty
Lifetime product support
Please note: 5/32 allen wrench not provided

That's strange that krunch's okief came with a secured stopper. It appears that the x-tractor l and ll come with a rubber stopper and it looks like their XL does as well. I'd like to see how krunch's is made too, or if bought directly from okief. As I understand, they only sell it on their website. If you look at the faq's it says their prices are already wholesale and they can't sell any lower to retail stores.

it would be difficult to secure.. I can only think of 1 way right now ans that's to used a long thin bolt. Drill through the tube and stopper bolt it down. I think the Tane should still go through..Got any other ideas??

That would work. I was also thinking some type of heavy duty rubber band that you could strap around the legs on each side of the stand and over the top of the tube. The force of the band attached to the legs and having it strapped over the stopper pulling it down should be enough to keep it in place.

I personally would return the XL for a smaller diameter tube, stainless or glass.

Long term, I think you will be happier with a stainless one. I really like glass ones, but I've also chipped a few.

All of my metal ones, despite being whacked with a rubber mallet, and some even a board, are still pristine.

A quick way of emptying really long columns, is a large diameter electricians flex bit in a battery operated drill. I mark the bit with white electrical tape, to show how far it should go in, and work it back and forth in columns as long as 4', while periodically whacking it with the mallet.

Wow that's a great idea. The kind of thing you only think of when you've been working with this stuff for a while and run in to problems that need to be solved. Love the ingenuity!

I think I'll be happier in the long run have a stainless tube as well. glass has given me nothing but problems at this point and I'd rather not deal with it. If only they had something the same size as the glass one they have in stainless steel! I'm currently trying to sell the XL but if it doesn't happen soon I'm gonna return it and wait the two weeks for the x-tractor ll.

I continue to be impressed by the abuse I hear stainless tubes can withstand and just have to go with it. It will put my mind at such ease compared to working with glass. Do you purchase stainless tube setups or construct your own?

Yes you can also blow the stoppers out of the top of tubes, that are constructed that way. I would secure it so that it couldn't blow out, if it isn't already.

To my discredit, I've also blown the whole filter assembly off the discharge end more than once, by not securing them tight enough. It makes a real mess of a pot of oil.

Yes, after the soak, I just pour it through a fine chinoise strainer and coffee filter it again after redissolving in alcohol for winterization, or pour the butane through a large restaurant sized coffee filter.

Okay, sounds like a solid process. I like the idea of redissolving in alcohol for winterization, I am actually purging alcohol from a small batch of bho as I type this :dance013: How long does the winterization step take? Does that have to be in a thermos or will a glass jar work?

The stopper is NOT secured and I am indeed worried about butane blowing out the injecting end. Blowing bud all over a dish of fresh oil sounds like a good way to ruin a day but mistakes are bound to happen after doing as many runs as I'm sure you have. And blowout is always something I'm worried about when securing my filter.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow that's a great idea. The kind of thing you only think of when you've been working with this stuff for a while and run in to problems that need to be solved. Love the ingenuity!

I think I'll be happier in the long run have a stainless tube as well. glass has given me nothing but problems at this point and I'd rather not deal with it. If only they had something the same size as the glass one they have in stainless steel! I'm currently trying to sell the XL but if it doesn't happen soon I'm gonna return it and wait the two weeks for the x-tractor ll.

I continue to be impressed by the abuse I hear stainless tubes can withstand and just have to go with it. It will put my mind at such ease compared to working with glass. Do you purchase stainless tube setups or construct your own?

Okay, sounds like a solid process. I like the idea of redissolving in alcohol for winterization, I am actually purging alcohol from a small batch of bho as I type this :dance013: How long does the winterization step take? Does that have to be in a thermos or will a glass jar work?

The stopper is NOT secured and I am indeed worried about butane blowing out the injecting end. Blowing bud all over a dish of fresh oil sounds like a good way to ruin a day but mistakes are bound to happen after doing as many runs as I'm sure you have. And blowout is always something I'm worried about when securing my filter.

We like to winterize for at least 48 hours, and use a Kerr fruit jar.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Mine does not...

Okief XL is all metal. The smaller tubes they make have rubber stoppers on them. Extraction experts' XL tube also uses a rubber stopper as well as all their smaller tubes.

Edit: I just checked Okiefs site and yeah they are sold with rubber stoppers now. All four of my XL tubes are solid metal. That sucks I am glad i got these four i got now.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Okief XL is all metal. The smaller tubes they make have rubber stoppers on them. Extraction experts' XL tube also uses a rubber stopper as well as all their smaller tubes.

Edit: I just checked Okiefs site and yeah they are sold with rubber stoppers now. All four of my XL tubes are solid metal. That sucks I am glad i got these four i got now.

SHIT!! wishes i would of knows they stopped, would of bought a few more...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They probably did it to save on costs. They changed this a long time ago. I bought my Okief about 2 years ago..

Im waiting for my Tane to get here im all out of oil.. GW or anyone that knows I would like to do this winterize. What do I need and how do I do it..Step by step so I dont make any mistakes..

I normally make BHO then use it.....

slimjoint

The XL does have diminished yeilds, but sometimes it makes me happy to pack so much it makes the batch go by quicker

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did do a search on it. There Are to many threads with the word winterize in them.. This would be a good sticky to have the instruction's on how to do this..

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So this is what I did temporary until I can drill the stopper..This wont last long. The more I take these out the less it will hold.. I push the stopper in as far as I could by hand then I hit it with my ruber mallet. Once I drill the stopper it should be good. I recessed the hole so the flat head Alan bolt will be flush on that side. I cant do anything for the other it will have lock washer and nut..

picture.php

picture.php

vertigo0007

That must have changed recently, my buddy bought 3 with solid caps in the last 60 days.

NorCalZero

Glass 8 x 1 inch on ebay for about $15 fwiw.....For those that use steel, it's not like smoking steel vs. glass is it, meaning the steel does not affect taste (I would have to assume it does not if experienced people like hammerhead & krunchbubble use it)? Does anyone have any homemade stand ideas for glass tube users? If I were to use a 120 or 160 micron screen instead of a coffee filter will it come out blonder? Hopefully that wasn't too many questions, I think I got everything else figured out well enough after a few runs.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW has more experience with BHO in his pinky then I will ever have lol..

Like I mentioned I bought my Okief at least 2 years ago it came with a rubber stopper. I have never seen a Okief any other way.. can someone post a pic of this metal top..

NorCalZero

GW has more experience with BHO in his pinky then I will ever have lol..

Like I mentioned I bought my Okief at least 2 years ago it came with a rubber stopper. I have never seen a Okief any other way.. can someone post a pic of this metal top..

I meant to add gray wolf, good ol' adhd will get ya 2 out of 3 everytime! So, no metal taste?

NorCalZero

One very reliable methods of fixing the lid on a metal tube, is threaded connection.
Here in the photo - a tubular extractor, made from standard plumbing fittings.
View Image

I have access to a welding machine, but for the home viewer I wonder if a simple butane or propane soldering torch could weld & seal it permanently? Even with a threaded connection, just for "hyper-redundancy" doomsday prepper style :badday:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No metal taste lol... GW recommend SS tubes...Jump is that just pipe from like HD?? Thats not a Okief right??

How are you going to pack to tube if you seal it.. I like the threaded Idea. I wounder if I take my tube to HD if they will thread it for me??