What's new

ANYBODY KNOW WHAT KIND OF BIRD THIS IS

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
BE SIDES A DEAD 1 ,it flew into a window when i was walking down the street with my dog ,it hit really hard and broke its neck.i was thinking a falcon ,we have bookoo pidgeons here .if it is a falcon i think im going to call the encon people, they keep tabs on some of the bird populations .
its a shame its a beautiful bird up close.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

L

loc

You have a male,marsh hawk,and from the looks of him,he is a year or two old.The female looks grey.:joint:

G

GaneshaBast

I have a couple of those in my yard. I think you guys are right. I think it's a hawk as well. I have some pictures of one of them.

Attachments

• 100_3998.jpg
    100_3998.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_3990.jpg
    100_3990.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_3989.jpg
    100_3989.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_3996.jpg
    100_3996.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 22

NOKUY

Veteran
my 1st guess was a hawk...didnt know what one tho.

cool ass birds they are...thats too bad

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
eaze according to ENCON you are right and it does look very similar to pics of the sharp shinned hawk.did you know its illegal to posess 1 dead or alive ,the encon guy is like you are not in posession of it are you cuz its really illegal to even have its feathers ,he says im not recomending this but some people keep the feathers but again im not recomending it ,and i heard you should get some of its feathers

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

in most states it's quite illegal to possess even the feathers of birds of prey, having the entire bird in your possession isn't a good idea either, if somebody turned you in because you were showing it off before you took the time to inform the proper authorities you'd be looking at a big fine for sure. imo leave critters where they lay & call your local DNR (dept natural resources) or equivalent, however quickly they respond is the importance of the find.

btw, there could be some deer ticks on that bird, keep it bagged &
sealed, they're as tiny as the period on @ the end of this sentence.

L

loc

I looked it up in the field guide for north american birds.Heres some pics of marsh hawks.:joint:

Attachments

• hawk2.gif
    hawk2.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 18
  • marsh hawk.jpg
    marsh hawk.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 19
  • hawk1.jpg
    hawk1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 19
A

arcticsun

hey there..

what a beautiful bird, there is an easy way to determine whether it is a falcon or a hawk.

the falcons are special in the way that it is the only bird of prey which kills with their beaks rather then with their feet. therefor they have a special falcon tooth on their beaks. all falcons have this. in addition to that they have the "football player stripes" under the eyes.

All falcons have a few unique characteristics in common: malar stripes, a falcon's "tooth", nasal tubercles and long pointed wings. Malar stripes, or the “falcon’s mustache�, are black stripes that run vertically down the sides of a falcon’s face and provide protection from sun glare. The same principle is used by football players by applying black paint below their eyes.

A falcon's "tooth" is a small projection that all falcons have at the distal part of their upper beaks. A notch to accommodate the falcon's "tooth" is present in the lower beak. This "tooth" is used to help kill prey quickly and efficiently. The falcon's tooth fits neatly between the vertebrae of their prey and the bird clamps down to snap the neck of its prey.

.. so judging from these characteristics, id say its a hawk of some sort, definately!

which species i cannot say because that bird isnt found in my habitat im afraid

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
wack in on the barbie :yoinks:..joking thats a cool looking brid ,,,,,wee bring these (some kinda hawk) into my work to get rid on the guls and crows that nest on the roof..the handlers have to make sure there fed b4 thay let them go..if thay dont the hawk will kill& eat. there not there to kill just scare the other birds...holly shit these things are fast,no fear (guls x2 the size) and can turn as sharp as a european sports car....

keep it green
highlander