What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anybody here SIM race?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to play quite a few driving games in my youth. Then I got a job driving everywhere and suddenly driving wasn't fun anymore. But lately I have been really missing rowing through gears and clipping apexes. But race cars are expensive. Hell, even wear and tear on a daily driver you autocross is expensive. But digital race cars are cheap (after initial purchase) and easy to maintain. And with technology the way it is I have decided to go down the rabbit hole and holy cow, I have missed a lot.

I'm slowly going to be building a rig over the next few months. Still deciding on a base/wheel, but most likely end up with a Simagic Alpha or the Moza r16. Pedals I've narrowed down to the Simagic P2000s. Cockpit will be some sort of 8020 rig, though I may try and save a few bucks here and build my own out of unistrut. It does not need to move at all, so weight isn't an issue. My computer I already have will work lovely with a CPU swap. Sticking with a single screen for now but will eventually move to triples. I get motion sickness really easy so VR is out for me.

So anybody else?

Brother Nature

Nice, I used to contract for an IT company that did a lot of these builds, from personal setups to training rigs for race teams. It's been too long for me to speak on equipment but all the frames were generally custom made and ended up a lot cheaper that way. Some of the high end setups were pretty cool, full g-force emulation and some crazy sounds setups. I haven't used one in years, but from what I've seen there are some really good single curved monitors out there, you may not need to do a multi setup, Samsung make some pretty crazy ones for this type of use.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've thought about a higher resolution larger ultra wide, but everybody I've talked to seen online go with triples, even if they are a lower resolution or a smaller screen. Triples work better it seem for immersion because the mirrors are where they are supposed to be and your peripheral vision is on par with a real car. You can't duplicate that with an ultra wide screen yet.

You can do it with a larger wide screen but you'll be more competitive with triples. Not that I'll be competitive, lol.

Brother Nature

That does make more sense for the true sim feel, hadn't really thought of that. Good luck, I'd be keen on knowing what racing sim you find the best, since reading this thread I've started thinking about doing one of my own, would be nice to get that rush again.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I'm mostly set up now. Still a few bits and bobbles to get yet until it's race ready imo. But so far I'm having a real blast driving a Miata of all things. Learning car control on tight tracks where you only hit the top of third once on the straightaway is exceedingly challenging and fun. It's a lot easier to feel the car start to slide through just the steering wheel than I thought it would be. It's kind of crazy. But I've only had it set up a couple of days and I've already put several hours of practice laps in. I'm not good. but I'm getting better and having fun.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah. If you like watching car racing and think it would be fun to try a sim rig out, I highly, highly recommend it. Head to your nearest MicroCenter. They have display systems you can try out. So you don't necessarily have to drop $4k on a system like I did to find out if you're going to like it.

But holy shit am I having fun. I finally get to race cars and it doesn't cost a fortune. Just a small one at the outset. After that you're good.