What's new

Anybody here lease their vehicles?

RetroGrow

Veteran
I actually rent cars on an "as needed" basis.
Enterprise...they pick you up and drop you off. My credit card covers insurance, and they let me slide on the gas if it's not a lot. So...no gas, no maintenance, no insurance. Always a new vehicle which the feds can't seize. This works for me because I only drive one or two days a week and live close to the rental place.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

a favorite book of mine:

The Millionaire Next Door: Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
Thomas Stanley (Author), William Danko (Author)

explains the subtle living and spending habits of the discreet millionaire that you don't know lives next door to you.

I haven't read it in awhile but I do recall it mentions that "they buy a dependable moderately priced automobile (no high end imports) that they maintain very well and keep for 10 years."

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
the main thing here is....if you get pulled over with a few LBs in your trunk, and you OWN the car...they can charge with felony transportation or something like "using a vehicle to transport drugs" on top of the other felony possessions. if they really wanted to be dicks, they can SEIZE your vehicle, and then you dont have shit.

if you are gonna be driving around with your harvests....a leased vehicle is a good idea. another good idea would be getting a used but reliable car for cheap...buy a 2004 camry for 10k and call it a day...but then you gotta deal with the 60k, 75k, and 100k maintenance...whereas your lease is just oil changes...

i literally spent a whole year of 2010 honda accord lease payments to fix up an earlier model honda accord......maintenance sucks if you cant do the work yourself....i dont have time or the knowledge to install new engine mounts, bushings, wheel bearings....

i buy and sell a ton of used cars...sometimes things work out good and the car is reliable and the money looks right, but more times than not a car turns into a total shitbox by 100k and pretty much needs most things replaced....then you gota sell the car at reduced price due to all the work it needs, or fork over a shitload of money to fix it to bring it up to the KBB...

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Better yet, buy an off-lease premium. Some other sucker took the depreciation hit and you have a stellar car at 1/2 the purchase price.