What's new

Any way to increase bud density growing in organic soil indoors?

yaz828

Hello all,

Been away for a while and haven't had much time to scan through the forums for this particular subject matter, so I apologize if related content has been made available elsewhere. If anyone knows of a similar thread that I can refer to while I start parsing through past postings that would be much appreciated.

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully been able to increase the density of their buds using some method, ingredient, soil mix etc. while growing in fully organic soil indoors. To my knowledge (depending on the strain) organic soil grows generally tend to produce lighter, 'wispier' buds vs. those grown in a more synthetic, or even outdoor environment which can produce larger, heavier, and denser buds. In the case of outdoor, this may be due in part to a matter of scale (where space isn't as much of an issue and larger plants will grow larger/denser buds) or other elements of the environment ex sunlight, fresh air etc.

Fwiw, the strain will be Verdant Greens pre98 bubba which is a low yielder as it is.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hello all,

Been away for a while and haven't had much time to scan through the forums for this particular subject matter, so I apologize if related content has been made available elsewhere. If anyone knows of a similar thread that I can refer to while I start parsing through past postings that would be much appreciated.

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully been able to increase the density of their buds using some method, ingredient, soil mix etc. while growing in fully organic soil indoors. To my knowledge (depending on the strain) organic soil grows generally tend to produce lighter, 'wispier' buds vs. those grown in a more synthetic, or even outdoor environment which can produce larger, heavier, and denser buds. In the case of outdoor, this may be due in part to a matter of scale (where space isn't as much of an issue and larger plants will grow larger/denser buds) or other elements of the environment ex sunlight, fresh air etc.

Fwiw, the strain will be Verdant Greens pre98 bubba which is a low yielder as it is.
It all depends on the growing environment. One can grow big nugs using organics with the right light and soil mix. I love the way outdoor organic weed tastes. If it is safe for you keep us posted on your work because it would be interesting to see what you are describing. Thanks for the post friend.

I found myself stoned looking at my plants months back and realized the thicker branches had bigger buds haha. Seems so obvious. So my thoughts is feeding silica throughout the grow with every feeding. The sililic form of silica I believe it's called. I noticed a major difference but I'm still in veg. Every branch is thick like the main. With organics, rice hulls and even the corn from mosquito bits provide a lot of silica.

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
If the environment/lighting is on point, it doesn't matter a whit whether it's grown organically or with salts., assuming your mix is balanced. The genetics will express themselves with dense buds if that strain has that trait.

Correctly feed [lants in a good environment equals the best outcome.

This is an old argument that has been hashed out many times: Using organics doesn't mean sacrificing quality or bud density.

Edit: You might want to walk through the Organic Soil forum

lol...just reread that, sounds a bit prickly, not meant to be

Last edited:

Asentrouw

I think it comes down to genetics and lights.

Some longer veg time to create a bigger rootsystem, good airy soil and balanced watering will probably give better yields and maybe some denser buds.

Ofcourse some supplements like PK 14/13 etc. can puff up the buds. But don't expect miracles from this.

yaz828

It all depends on the growing environment. One can grow big nugs using organics with the right light and soil mix. I love the way outdoor organic weed tastes. If it is safe for you keep us posted on your work because it would be interesting to see what you are describing. Thanks for the post friend.
Thanks, any particular organic soil mixes/ingredients or lighting methods in your experience that have made a significant difference in low yielding strains?

I will definitely update this post in the future should my grower and I find something that proves its consistency.

yaz828

I found myself stoned looking at my plants months back and realized the thicker branches had bigger buds haha. Seems so obvious. So my thoughts is feeding silica throughout the grow with every feeding. The sililic form of silica I believe it's called. I noticed a major difference but I'm still in veg. Every branch is thick like the main. With organics, rice hulls and even the corn from mosquito bits provide a lot of silica.
Thanks, that certainly seems like a no brainer and worth exploring. Have you noticed thickening of stems consistently with silica over a certain number of grows? Are you growing in fully organic soil?

yaz828

If the environment/lighting is on point, it doesn't matter a whit whether it's grown organically or with salts., assuming your mix is balanced. The genetics will express themselves with dense buds if that strain has that trait.

Correctly feed [lants in a good environment equals the best outcome.

This is an old argument that has been hashed out many times: Using organics doesn't mean sacrificing quality or bud density.

Edit: You might want to walk through the Organic Soil forum

lol...just reread that, sounds a bit prickly, not meant to be
Appreciate it, will have a look through some threads there. Optimal environment being strain dependant, I'll look through grow journals on VGs pre98 bubba as well and hopefully pick up some pointers on how to adjust soil mix, lighting, rh etc.

Have you by chance grown this strain in organic soil and if so are there any specifics top of mind you might recommend?

yaz828

I think it comes down to genetics and lights.

Some longer veg time to create a bigger rootsystem, good airy soil and balanced watering will probably give better yields and maybe some denser buds.

Ofcourse some supplements like PK 14/13 etc. can puff up the buds. But don't expect miracles from this.
Thanks, I'm trying to avoid any synthetic nutrients which may prove to be a difficult endeavour for significant yield improvement. Need to do some more research on if/how its possible to dial in for bigger/denser buds on this strain with organic soil, lighting, or other factors of environment.

Genetics wise I know this variety is a low yielder hence the motivation to try and improve on it. Any specifics you might have top of mind for lighting tips with this strain or similar indica dominants?

Last edited:

yaz828

Grow organic under led.
Some strains definitely stack up with bigger dryback during the end of stretch.
Less heat if you are using hid.
Use organic nutrients that are salty (IE guanos and beet vinasse).
Appreciate it, growing under LED is preferred over the alternative of lowering temps with HID?

Any specific ratios or %'s top of mind that would be helpful on how much salty nutrients to add?

yaz828

I have overall smaller buds in organic. However I feel they shrink less when drying and my yield are quite the same.
Interesting, I wonder if this is common sentiment among growers who've done both. So the above methods you have tested over several grows and found consistency with?

Last edited:
Thanks, that certainly seems like a no brainer and worth exploring. Have you noticed thickening of stems consistently with silica over a certain number of grows? Are you growing in fully organic soil?
With rice hulls, it takes a bit before it becomes available, maybe mid grow cycle? But as a foliar spray in veg, I honestly see results in a few days. The leaves even thicken like pepper leaves. Probably over doing it but hey, science! have two plants from the same seed pack called ocean fruit. The one in flower has thinner petioles than the one Im feeding silica consistently in veg. After a couple days, the stems doubled thickness with the foliar spray. It could just be what it was gonna do but idk, seems legit.
Screenshot_20240321_154502_Gallery.jpg

20240321_153838.jpg

20240321_153944.jpg

Attachments

• 20240321_153741.jpg
    20240321_153741.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17

yaz828

Over-watering in soil is a common culprit as well. Typically needs 5% of soil volume per watering.

This was my limiting factor when I first started.
Thx, good to keep in mind. I've not heard of that rule of thumb yet but I'm sure optimal watering plays important role to some degree in yield size.

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
Appreciate it, will have a look through some threads there. Optimal environment being strain dependant, I'll look through grow journals on VGs pre98 bubba as well and hopefully pick up some pointers on how to adjust soil mix, lighting, rh etc.

Have you by chance grown this strain in organic soil and if so are there any specifics top of mind you might recommend?

No, I haven't had the opportunity to grow any of VG's genetics. He's had some special offerings like the pre98 Bubba.

Watering is key like @jroadytoady said. I'm On board.

In Living Soil. I never allow my containers to dry out. It's about keeping the microbes alive. They die when you allow the soil to dry back. Plants can/will show deficiencies despite enough nutrients in the mix.

5-10% of the soil volume for potting soils.

Small Containers with bigger plants need daily water.
Here's how I measure the amount of water per gallon of soil.

How much water is 5% or 10%?
Use your soil volume to multiply by 5% or 10%
For example: 30 Gallons of soil = (30 gallons of soil x 5% = 1.5 gallons of water)

For instance. You have 10 gallon soil containers. You’ll probably water half of a gallon per watering, and you could even use a little less if you do this daily or the plant is not large yet.

Think of soil moisture on a scale of 1-10. 1 being bone dry and 10 being muddy wet. We want to operate in the 3-7 range all day long, day in and day out. You can do this by calibrating automatic watering systems or by hand watering with a little intelligent thought.

I prefer less water and more often. I hand water, usually every day or every other day, depending on container size, plant size, etc.

A large container with a small plant, error on the side of less water. A large plant in a small container, error on the side of too much water.

As far as soil mixes go. There are some proven organic recipes here: Organics for Beginners.
Also, google ClackamasCoot. He's a wealth of information on Living Organic Soil.

Lately, I've been lazy and bought my last soil mix from buildasoil. They claim it's water only, start to finish.
I always top-dress and will continue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts