What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any way to ignore threads in the New Posts sub, so they're not even visible?

CharlesU Farley

I know everyone views a forum / BBS system differently. And I don't expect the technical experts here in ICM, ZenForo, etc. to alter software just for my personal preference.

And the mods here do outstanding job of keeping the blatantly political posts in the cesspool (Speakers Forum) where they belong. And there's no more vocal advocate of political freedom of speech than _me_, just not in a _cannabis_ forum.

Every time I see the "Biden: no guns for weed smokers" thread, in the cannabis laws and legislation sub, I want to respond... most vehemently. Even though I know it won't change anybody's opinion and will just make more work for the mods.

So is there any "ignore thread" function that I'm not aware of? I've dug around in the options, filters, etc. and don't see the option.

Maybe the back end tech responsible for maintaining the Xenforo s/w here on ICM can see if there's any switch or any mechanism I could use.

The US political situation is just getting ready to really get cranked up to full blast, and I don't want to dread doing a scan of the New Posts sub and see blatantly political posts. I really like this forum and don't want to avoid it, just because I don't want U.S. politics pushed down my throat.

Thanks y'all.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I know everyone views a forum / BBS system differently. And I don't expect the technical experts here in ICM, ZenForo, etc. to alter software just for my personal preference.

And the mods here do outstanding job of keeping the blatantly political posts in the cesspool (Speakers Forum) where they belong. And there's no more vocal advocate of political freedom of speech than _me_, just not in a _cannabis_ forum.

Every time I see the "Biden: no guns for weed smokers" thread, in the cannabis laws and legislation sub, I want to respond... most vehemently. Even though I know it won't change anybody's opinion and will just make more work for the mods.

So is there any "ignore thread" function that I'm not aware of? I've dug around in the options, filters, etc. and don't see the option.

Maybe the back end tech responsible for maintaining the Xenforo s/w here on ICM can see if there's any switch or any mechanism I could use.

The US political situation is just getting ready to really get cranked up to full blast, and I don't want to dread doing a scan of the New Posts sub and see blatantly political posts. I really like this forum and don't want to avoid it, just because I don't want U.S. politics pushed down my throat.

Thanks y'all.
Thanks for your opinion friend.

revegeta666

Thanks y'all.
Can't you just ignore the threads without an ignore button? I have never posted once in a political thread and I just skip past them when I'm looking at the latest posts. It's not like threads are taking you hostage and forcing you to respond lol. If you are in a forum for adults, a big chunk of users will have different or opposing political views to your own. That's just how the world works isn't it. When I go to a restaurant and the people in the table next to mine are expressing views I disagree with or find stupid, nobody is forcing me to interact with them 🤷‍♂️ Just do your own thing it's not that hard.

CharlesU Farley

Can't you just ignore the threads without an ignore button? I have never posted once in a political thread and I just skip past them when I'm looking at the latest posts. It's not like threads are taking you hostage and forcing you to respond lol. If you are in a forum for adults, a big chunk of users will have different or opposing political views to your own. That's just how the world works isn't it. When I go to a restaurant and the people in the table next to mine are expressing views I disagree with or find stupid, nobody is forcing me to interact with them 🤷‍♂️ Just do your own thing it's not that hard.
I understand your point of view, it's just not mine. :)

I feel an international cannabis forum should _not_ be dominated by U.S. politics and I don't want to see it, _every_ single time I go to the New Posts section.

I think one of the best things that was ever done in this forum (I'm a FNG here, so what do I know?), was to keep the Speaker's Corner posts isolated and separate from the New Posts section.

I was taught long ago as a child, never discuss religion or politics, especially around strangers.

RobFromTX

I agree about ignoring the threads. The speakers corner is fun for a few laughs but it gets old real fast. I mean you're not going to change peoples mind about what they believe anymore than they're going to change yours. Its just one big stitch and bitch festival. I hardly go there at all anymore. I will say im surprised that thread is still in the grow forums but oh well

revegeta666

I understand your point of view, it's just not mine. :)

I feel an international cannabis forum should _not_ be dominated by U.S. politics and I don't want to see it, _every_ single time I go to the New Posts section.

I think one of the best things that was ever done in this forum (I'm a FNG here, so what do I know?), was to keep the Speaker's Corner posts isolated and separate from the New Posts section.

I was taught long ago as a child, never discuss religion or politics, especially around strangers.
Ok but you're literally saying in the last paragraph of your original post, that you might stop using the forums, if the administrators don't fulfill your request of an "ignore thread" button. Do you think this is reasonable? I have the same distaste as you for american politics, but I am unable to relate to anything you are writing in this thread.

You are experiencing such a level of distress, not even by seeing people actually arguing about politics, but by the mere sight of thread titles on the new posts sections? Really? To the point that it will make you quit a forum?

If you will accept my opinion, I think you are hurting yourself in the long term by acting this way. If you have such a low tolerance for discomfort, I would honestly seek professional help. Because if you are showing this level of avoidance for something so trivial, I think it's safe to assume you must be also using avoidance as your standard coping mechanism for real life problems.

Avoidance is not a good way cope with discomfort, it works as a quick solution, but longterm it creates an anxious fight/flight response which then feeds back into more avoidance and it ends up growing and getting out of control. If seeing people talking about american politics causes you such discomfort, a healthier way to cope with this would be to open these threads, read what people say, and have a laugh about it. To prove to yourself other people's opinions on a forum are harmless and can't hurt you. You don't even have to participate. This is called exposure therapy and is the standard way to reverse unhealthy avoidance coping mechanisms. Just have a laugh mate, it's just a forum for smoking joints 🤷‍♂️

Young people nowadays are told how they deserve to have a safe space and to block and ignore people who make them uncomfortable on the internet. But exposing ourselves to the things that make us uncomfortable, is the way we build a strong character. There is no ignore button in real life. Just skip over the threads that don't interest you, they won't chase you or throw stones at you.

CharlesU Farley

Ok but you're literally saying in the last paragraph of your original post, that you might stop using the forums, if the administrators don't fulfill your request of an "ignore thread" button. Do you think this is reasonable? I have the same distaste as you for american politics, but I am unable to relate to anything you are writing in this thread.

You are experiencing such a level of distress, not even by seeing people actually arguing about politics, but by the mere sight of thread titles on the new posts sections? Really? To the point that it will make you quit a forum?

If you will accept my opinion, I think you are hurting yourself in the long term by acting this way. If you have such a low tolerance for discomfort, I would honestly seek professional help. Because if you are showing this level of avoidance for something so trivial, I think it's safe to assume you must be also using avoidance as your standard coping mechanism for real life problems.

Avoidance is not a good way cope with discomfort, it works as a quick solution, but longterm it creates an anxious fight/flight response which then feeds back into more avoidance and it ends up growing and getting out of control. If seeing people talking about american politics causes you such discomfort, a healthier way to cope with this would be to open these threads, read what people say, and have a laugh about it. To prove to yourself other people's opinions on a forum are harmless and can't hurt you. You don't even have to participate. This is called exposure therapy and is the standard way to reverse avoidance mechanisms. Just have a laugh mate, it's just a forum for smoking joints 🤷‍♂️

Young people nowadays are told how they deserve to have a safe space and to block and ignore people who make them uncomfortable on the internet. But exposing ourselves to the things that make us uncomfortable, is the way we build a strong character. There is no ignore button in real life. Just skip over the threads that don't interest you, they won't chase you or throw stones at you.
Lucid, eloquent, thought-provoking post. I'd like to discuss it further with you, because I can tell you're a reasonable debater.

But I have much too much to do and since I'm almost 70, not a hell of a lot of time left to do it. Gotta make sure my kids / g kids / gg kids understand what I've done with cannabis, why I've done it, and how I've done it. They have no earthly idea.

Discussing non-canabis matters on a cannabis forum is just not a priority for me.

Good post, respect.

CharlesU Farley

Ok mate, no disrispect, but again, in your original post you are not complaining about discussing politics. You are complaining about seeing title threads that no one is forcing you to click on, or even read. Anyway if you don't want to argue it's fine, have a good day (y)
Quick reply, at least for me, so maybe you'll understand why I put it in the Web Support sub and asked the question to begin with.

I'm definitely a fucking dinosaur, did not even know how to DM, IM, whatever the fuck y'all call it, when you communicate privately on a public forum, without other people knowing about it.

A Mod helped me out providing a direct link in my profile.

I actually tried to RTFM, but it's not real easy with this specific of a question. I'm not asking the mods, ZenForo, or anyone else to tailor or modify the software package to my specific desires.

But if there was a easy checkbox where I could select _ignore_, for a political thread that shouldn't be in a cannabis forum, I'd check it. :)

The Biden and the weed thread keeps on coming up, _every_ time I check new posts. I could easily compare and contrast the previous administrations policies on cannabis versus this administration's policies, and linguistically eviscerate those who don't feel as I do, with actual, verifiable _facts_.

But that would only fan the flames and make more work for the mods, and drive potential new users here on ICM to other fora.

And the cynic in me thinks that anyone who puts either of the major political presidential candidates _directly_ in a subject title, it's going to be about more than just cannabis.

I respect your opinion, just don't agree with it.;)

revegeta666

Quick reply, at least for me, so maybe you'll understand why I put it in the Web Support sub and asked the question to begin with.

I'm definitely a fucking dinosaur, did not even know how to DM, IM, whatever the fuck y'all call it, when you communicate privately on a public forum, without other people knowing about it.

A Mod helped me out providing a direct link in my profile.

I actually tried to RTFM, but it's not real easy with this specific of a question. I'm not asking the mods, ZenForo, or anyone else to tailor or modify the software package to my specific desires.

But if there was a easy checkbox where I could select _ignore_, for a political thread that shouldn't be in a cannabis forum, I'd check it. :)

The Biden and the weed thread keeps on coming up, _every_ time I check new posts. I could easily compare and contrast the previous administrations policies on cannabis versus this administration's policies, and linguistically eviscerate those who don't feel as I do, with actual, verifiable _facts_.

But that would only fan the flames and make more work for the mods, and drive potential new users here on ICM to other fora.

And the cynic in me thinks that anyone who puts either of the major political presidential candidates _directly_ in a subject title, it's going to be about more than just cannabis.

I respect your opinion, just don't agree with it.;)
We can agree to disagree, we don't have to kill each other like the speakers corner people 🤣👍

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I had no idea the posts from the Speaker's Corner didn't show up in the "New Posts" search. LMAO I guess I just figured a new Golden Child of Love was born (obviously the old one was killed by the Dark Child of Hate) and people just stopped posting hate stuff. LMAO I feel like.... DUH! LOL

Damn, now I have to go over there and see what kind of ignorance I've been missing.

On a serious note, very nice feature, by the way.

Cvh

Supermod

Thanks y'all.
I discussed it with the admins and the thread you've talking about got moved to the Speakers Corner.

I hope this solves it for you.

Unfortunately there's no option to ignore threads.

CharlesU Farley

I discussed it with the admins and the thread you've talking about got moved to the Speakers Corner.

I hope this solves it for you.

Unfortunately there's no option to ignore threads.
Didn't mean for this to blow up and be a problem for anybody, especially mods, y'all got your hands full as it is. That's why I posted on this sub, didn't figure it would be very visible, wouldn't generate controversy, etc.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a checkbox somewhere, very deep within a menu, or something like that.

Thanks for the response!

Latest posts

Latest posts