What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any tips on "cobbing" ?

Cactus Squatter

I do cobs every harvest now. Makes storage way easier especially long term.
The best tip I can give you, is make sure it isn’t too wet when you roll the cob. There’s a very fine line between an excellent cob cure, and a weird over fermented rock stick of funk. 😂 I was going to wet on a few of them and they’re weaker and weird tasting when compared to the same plant done right. You should smell the bud plus a fermented/pickle kind of smell, if it’s just really super-strong pickle smell and nothing thing else go a little dryer on your roll next time.

I would roll a few up over a varying time period of drying and see which way ends up best to you. Too dry it doesn’t work, too wet it over ferments. Just right and they're freaking amazing.

When I roll mine, I try and cut as much stem out as possible. I’ve seen where some people just cut the buds from the main stem and compress them all together, but I wasn’t fond of all the little stem pieces doing it that way.

When you compress them, make sure you really compress them tightly and evenly for best results. A loose cob can get weird, that’s the only way I’ve ever had one mold on me was when I missed getting it tight enough.

airplane

I do cobs every harvest now. Makes storage way easier especially long term.
The best tip I can give you, is make sure it isn’t too wet when you roll the cob. There’s a very fine line between an excellent cob cure, and a weird over fermented rock stick of funk. 😂 I was going to wet on a few of them and they’re weaker and weird tasting when compared to the same plant done right. You should smell the bud plus a fermented/pickle kind of smell, if it’s just really super-strong pickle smell and nothing thing else go a little dryer on your roll next time.

I would roll a few up over a varying time period of drying and see which way ends up best to you. Too dry it doesn’t work, too wet it over ferments. Just right and they're freaking amazing.

When I roll mine, I try and cut as much stem out as possible. I’ve seen where some people just cut the buds from the main stem and compress them all together, but I wasn’t fond of all the little stem pieces doing it that way.

When you compress them, make sure you really compress them tightly and evenly for best results. A loose cob can get weird, that’s the only way I’ve ever had one mold on me was when I missed getting it tight enough.
Thanks @Cactus Squatter - good info - have some buds that are cured for 2 months now (jared) going to "cob" a few

Cactus Squatter

T
Thanks @Cactus Squatter - good info - have some buds that are cured for 2 months now (jared) going to "cob" a few
That doesn’t work unfortunately. It’s too far into curing/drying to properly ferment. If you do it with buds that have already been curing, especially for that long, you’ll just get smashed up buds that don’t have the cob effect. They need to cure as a cob the entire time, and go through the initial heat ferment process first.

The time to cob is when the plant is first going through the initial drying process.
For me, the best cobs are made when I first get that “I should trim these” vibe from the plant where they feel dry enough to trim and jar but really aren’t. Where they’re still too wet inside to safely jar. Then it’s a fine line of exactly how much moisture you want for the level of fermentation you want to occur.

airplane

T

That doesn’t work unfortunately. It’s too far into curing/drying to properly ferment. If you do it with buds that have already been curing, especially for that long, you’ll just get smashed up buds that don’t have the cob effect. They need to cure as a cob the entire time, and go through the initial heat ferment process first.

The time to cob is when the plant is first going through the initial drying process.
For me, the best cobs are made when I first get that “I should trim these” vibe from the plant where they feel dry enough to trim and jar but really aren’t. Where they’re still too wet inside to safely jar. Then it’s a fine line of exactly how much moisture you want for the level of fermentation you want to occur.
OK I grt it now - haver drying I sweat them then I will cob

Latest posts

Latest posts