What's new

Any Thru Hikers out there?? any LD trails

Fast_Pine

Some of my best friends are through hikers..I would immagine the grow would have to end or be lrft in anothers care..The trip would be a nice chance to gather some different strains from the different people you come into. If you do the CDT stop in at Chama New Mexico or Tierra Amarilla. Some trail angels there that will help out, if you are seen hiking the highway.

As far as stash goes, I would bring pressed hash, and a small hash pipe. Green weed would get smoked too fast and crushed to dust in my pack..
Maby you could have someone send green weed to a town youre about to hit?..

Props to all through hikers, Yall are a rare breed. Keep pressin on.

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
What is a thru hiker? Im interested what is it...

a person who tackles a long-distance trail in one go should constitute a thru hiker.

in the US the three most famous LD trails are the Appalachian trail, the Continental Divide Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail. All of these trails are 2000+ miles.

basically it is a really long walk.

peace
jip

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
they make backpack for dogs :yes:
make your pooch carry the green
sadly i smoke to much(cigs) to enjoy the long hikes i used to take as a young man

grew up in Potter Co PA and i could literally get lost for a few days and just LOVE it !!

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
On though hikes I carrry a wide mouthed mason jar full of pre rolled joints of sativa weeds for the day time. I just keep a few in my pocket. Also in the jar I also have a small glass hash pipe with a couple grams of Indica based hash to burn mixed with sativa nug at night. It makes it way easier to sleep on a thin backpakers pad. I keep the jar stuffed up in my sleeping bag when I'm hiking.

If it wasnt for pot I coulndnt backpack because of my bad stomach. It is the only thing that works.

N707

I got into hiking about 3 years ago. There are some awesome trails around here. The most Ive covered on foot in one outing (consisting of several days) was about 40 miles or so, it sounds pathetic but its pretty intense terrain.
If you have a nice trail bike like a supp'd up 125 you could get from the vallejo area to past berryesa without using a single paved road in really good time. I like to take my dirtbikes out pretty far and hiking out from there, with a range of about 30-60 miles/day with the help of my petrol friend...= ) depending on the terrain. Lots of valley and foothills, but no tru mountains....damn close though. Ild consider my self a decent hiker.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My favorite place to hike probalby is rocky mountain national park in early september, or late may. the crowds are a little thinner, but the weather is nice. there are strorms most days all summer anyway including these times. There are some hardcore hikes out there.

Here are some tips for everyday hiking there
start early like get up at 5 or 6 am to do a long hike. you dont wanna be near a peak in a storm.
always have in your pack- Rain gear. extra socks. fleece. gloves. knife. 2 ways to make fire. water filter or tablets. at least a half gallon of water per person. tarp. nylon rope, or tent stakes. first aid kit. There is no poisonous snakes in the park so you dont need a snake bite kit.

It may sound like alot, but you should always be prepared to spend a night out doors. It is eaier to get lost, or get hypothermia than most people think. Summer storms in the high passes make snow and hail year round. I was hiking to the key hole this summer in the longs peak area, and saw 14 people day hiking up there with out rain gear, and got caught in a summer storm and all got hypothermia and had to br rescued.

I dont reccomend this for most, but I always have a trail gun. I dont care if it is a national park. If I'm in the wilderness I have a gun. It is a last restort fail safe. to get food, or use as protection. I know that there is many other options to scare away bears and mountain lions, which I would always use first.... but if they dont work, then I refuse to get injured or killed in the wilderness. I am at the top of the food chain.
Also it is really hard to get lost in rocky mountain national park, you would most likley be found with in 24 hours. I just live by murphy's law.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wanna go to cascades next, but I have never been there. anyone else been there?

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^Ya but dont think I'm just some nut.

I carry a gun everywhere but government buildings and bars. I am lisensed. Your not sposed to in a national park, but I dont care. If I'm in the wilderness I have one. It is to be viewd as an 'life or death emergency only tool" with multiple benifits that nothing else can gives you. I dont take the reponsiblity of a firearm lightly. I am not a crazy gun nut. I am a gun saftey nut. I have been handling guns my whole life, and am more responsible than most cops with my guns. I am also a very very good shot. I think most people should not do as I do, just because they do not have the same experience to safley do so.

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
well I am Eastern Hiker, never been in Grizz territory.

Personally I would never carry a gun to hike. Way too much extra weight. No perceived benefit for me from a safety standpoint.

You would really need to carry it in a holster on your pack or person so that you could get to it in an emergency.

peace
jip

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a special holster that I can conceal the pistol with, and still access it quickly. And I carry a titanium framed stub nosed .38 special. the first two rounds are snake shot most of the time. there is lots of rattlers as well where I live. The gun is very light. The other three rounds are plus power hollow points. They dont go through things, and dont ricochet usually. In remote areas where there is no people but lots of bears, and mountain lions I carry a springfield xd .45. It is a polymer framed semi-auto that is just as just as tough as any glocks. Hollow point amunition as well. It is just safer. I have only had to kill a rattle snake once, because it corned me. I ate it. I highly doubt I would ever have to shoot a bear. I have encountered them many times and scared them away by banging my pots togetherm, or yelling. I have never seen a mountain lion. Cyotes just run when they see you most of the time. But I am still prepared.

gtbuds2332

i just recently got into backpacking and last summer i flew to California and hiked the first 70 miles of the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevada Mountains...it was my first time out there and my first hike that lasted more than one day so i didn't do enough to really call it a through hike

it was some of the most beautiful scenery i have ever seen and i cant wait to get back out there and finish the entire trail

the one through hike i have to do before i die is the Pacific Crest Trail

as for the grow, i left at the end of a run so i just started a new one when i got home...as for the stash, i had to fly with it so i ground up a quarter of good bud and compressed it into the corner of a baggie until in was about a 2 inch square and 1/2 inch thick and wrapped it in a few layers of surran wrap to stop odor...then i strapped it to my very very upper leg and wrapped it with athletic tape...worked like a charm, they would of had to make me strip naked to find it

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ wow. 70 miles qualifies. I have done some through hikes that are only halfe that distance. you should be proud of your self. great accomplishment.

Hike along the lost coast in northern cali, you will love it.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^that's fucking awesome! post up some pics. I think I'm going to that area this summer, or fall. Tell me about it man

Well I've always loved the outdoors I came to Switzerland with a summer camp twice when I was 14 and then 15 and we went trekking on the Alps, I loved it!

I guess I'm not a hiker cause the only trails I've done were when I was on vacations, and I haven't spent no longer than an entire day walking, I mean I have but not sleeping out in the "wild".

Well I recently moved to Switzerland and now that I'm here living alone and getting my own money, I'm gonna start hiking a lot there are A LOT of awesome places, mountains and lakes to go to! I can't wait to start hiking and trekking on a regular basis and of course I'm gonna take my friend Mary Jane with me!!

AT hiker

AT hiker

I hiked the at a couple years ago for about 5 months and oh yeah i hiked Springer to Damascus this year with a friend 450 miles. I have a hellacious time blowing people up on the trail. I carry a bag of cannacookies, bubblehash, and an ounce or two of 5 strains-oh yeah i like to roll about 10 J's before i leave town so i have the quickie bad weather smokie fix.

Add a bottle of whiskey or shine to the mix, maybe some shrooms and boom!!! no hiking today...finish off with steaks and bacon, real veggies and potatoes hellz yea...

I vac seal my herb for down the road (months away). It's always hard to find nugs on a long hike-it does turn up from time to time and angels will give some to you from time to time, but it's rare you have to plan(t) ahead lol.

I love the trail!!! heading to the whites new hampshire to do the pemigawasset loop this summer for a few days woot woot ! happy trails