What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any reptile/amphibian people out there?

starke

Had a Nile Monitor at my motorcycle shop for eight years. He was about 14" long when we inherited him from our tattoo artist. Seven feet long and a nasty tempered MF when he died. Had a custom enclosure/parts counter made to house him. You can't have them at all here in FL now. When we had him he had to be registered/permitted by Florida Fish and Game and we had to have him chipped by a vet in case he ever escaped.

St. Phatty

I was very impressed the first time I saw an Oregon tree frog. It was also in the bark of a tree I knocked down or was moving.

It was amazingly strong for something its size. I grew up thinking amphibians hibernate in the winter. And they're out there singing when it's 32 degrees F !! In the snow sometimes.

Then the wild cat came along ...

I wasn't used to having cats so it took me a while to get in the habit of feeding it.

Eventually I realized that it was REAL quiet tree frog wise.

About 20 years ago I read an article about a Vietnamese man who found a healthy diet eating 30 to 35 frogs a day.

I think that cat was trying the same diet.

Bwanabud

I raise 6 species of frogs here, have 4 large ponds supplemented with cattails, lilies, cows tongue, etc...Built an extensive pumping system from a large cistern, that collects rainwater-filters it-pumps it 400 feet-dispenses it evenly to ponds and waterfall features. I collect approximately 180k gallons of rain water a year here, so may as well use it effectively for the environment. I installed 4" pvc baffles into the mud banks for the frogs to winter over, obviously above the water/freeze line or they'd drown hibernating.

I also have painted turtles and muskrats, no fish because I kill any that enter the pond system....any fish that hatch are shot with a BB gun. I have blue herons that stop by for a quick snack, and shoo them away before nesting takes place(they bring the eggs of fish attached to their legs from wading in other lakes/ponds.. Building the eco system is key, and really fun to watch take hold and all bug/amphibian life flourish.

I probably have 1000's of frogs by early summer, then they go on journeys to other water filled locations to continue life and breed unchallenged...so I supply the area with croaking sounds of frogs and toads. The worst part is cutting the grass on my property, about 5 acres of lawn and small frogs/toads running from my tractor...I have to stop and move them out of the way constantly, before they get chopped to bits :)

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Other than frogs, the only reptile I've ever seen in the wild here are Eastern Newts.

They are very small and normally as adults hide under leaves and logs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_newt

I even caught a pair breeding in a minnow trap once and let them go.

Newts are very cool. Saw my first pair of salamanders last spring. Amphibians in general are a sign of a healthy environment.

Had a Nile Monitor at my motorcycle shop for eight years. He was about 14" long when we inherited him from our tattoo artist. Seven feet long and a nasty tempered MF when he died. Had a custom enclosure/parts counter made to house him. You can't have them at all here in FL now. When we had him he had to be registered/permitted by Florida Fish and Game and we had to have him chipped by a vet in case he ever escaped.

Seems like Florida has had to crack down on reptile ownership, especially on the big reticulated and Burmese pythons. The place is a perfect habitat for many invasive species. Kind of sucks when you get people who just dump their pets.

I was very impressed the first time I saw an Oregon tree frog. It was also in the bark of a tree I knocked down or was moving.

It was amazingly strong for something its size. I grew up thinking amphibians hibernate in the winter. And they're out there singing when it's 32 degrees F !! In the snow sometimes.

Then the wild cat came along ...

I wasn't used to having cats so it took me a while to get in the habit of feeding it.

Eventually I realized that it was REAL quiet tree frog wise.

About 20 years ago I read an article about a Vietnamese man who found a healthy diet eating 30 to 35 frogs a day.

I think that cat was trying the same diet.

Ever have frog legs or alligator? Delicious!

I raise 6 species of frogs here, have 4 large ponds supplemented with cattails, lilies, cows tongue, etc...Built an extensive pumping system from a large cistern, that collects rainwater-filters it-pumps it 400 feet-dispenses it evenly to ponds and waterfall features. I collect approximately 180k gallons of rain water a year here, so may as well use it effectively for the environment. I installed 4" pvc baffles into the mud banks for the frogs to winter over, obviously above the water/freeze line or they'd drown hibernating.

I also have painted turtles and muskrats, no fish because I kill any that enter the pond system....any fish that hatch are shot with a BB gun. I have blue herons that stop by for a quick snack, and shoo them away before nesting takes place(they bring the eggs of fish attached to their legs from wading in other lakes/ponds.. Building the eco system is key, and really fun to watch take hold and all bug/amphibian life flourish.

I probably have 1000's of frogs by early summer, then they go on journeys to other water filled locations to continue life and breed unchallenged...so I supply the area with croaking sounds of frogs and toads. The worst part is cutting the grass on my property, about 5 acres of lawn and small frogs/toads running from my tractor...I have to stop and move them out of the way constantly, before they get chopped to bits :)

Very nice! Frogs are definitely in need of help at the moment. Have heard/seen fewer over the years. When the toads come out to breed I've passed over them with the mower without seeing them and they do this thing where they curl up into a ball and tumble out underneath unharmed. Has freaked me out before. I'm looking forward to hearing their songs when spring breaks.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
When we were kids we would go camping and gig frogs with a hook and a piece of red cloth. They couldnt resist it. The big frogs you could eat the legs and the back as it had some meat on it. Smaller frogs were legs only . Frogs legs, a little wild watercress, wild onions, sometimes cattail root roasted on the fire. We all had .22's and maybe someone had a shotgun so we never went hungry. Good times.

I was once accused of being a reptilian, but that lady was wearing a garbage bag as a cape, literally had bugs in her hair, and smelled like sewage and death.

Latest posts

Latest posts