What's new

any other CHDK users here?

WasntMe

I was just wondering if there were any other CHDK users here?

If so, what model canon are you using?
which firmware?
what has been your experience with it?

I started with a SD890 with 1.00d firmware ... I have a couple others now too.
I use the time lapse, fast motion capture, long exposure and star time lapse scripts mostly.
Now that I am once again sailing more I hope to get something light enough to do some KAP video while out on the boat .... a little scared at trusting my kite skills with my camera around salt water though.

Oh, and for those of you that may be unfamiliar with CHDK and own a canon P&S do yourself a favor and check out... http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK and http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_in_Brief

:pumpkin:

WasntMe

images

Bueller Bueller ... Beuller?

ganja_hasi

natural mystic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi there WasntMe,
I had no idea about the existence of CHDK. A few weeks ago I had a photo-conversation with a good friend
and he drew my attention to CHDK. Yesterday I had the time to download the CHDK and try it out a bit.
I use it on a Powershot SX200is - FW 1.00d .. so far I have to say: Simply Ingenious :yes:

Really easy to install, and it works without to change something on the cam software..
it works direct from the SD card...I really like the option to shoot in raw.

However i noticed that there are enough hidden functions which CHDK brings on light and
i wonder why the manufacturer disables these extras and the very useful functions..hmmm..oooohm..

:gday:

WasntMe

Ganja_Hasi ... glad someone else is on board :D
It's amazing right? You can even take a $50 camera and turn it into something very special with not one worry that the software will "brick" your camera.

I think, like most manufacturers, that Canon tiers there features so the more money you spend on higher models the more features you would get. The great thing was, that unlike most manufacturers, Canon open sourced there firmware and base programming which allowed CHDK to be developed.

Yes the RAW ability is tits!

The SX200is you have is a really nice camera to use CHDK on. Are you trying any of the scripts yet or just using the unlocked main and overide features?
I like the zebra function too.

I'm glad I am not the only one here anymore ... maybe others will jump on board too now.

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've got a canon s5 - can't remember the firmware, but i've used chdk w/ it

i mostly scripted shot bracketing and time lapse stuff, but got kinda frustrated w/ the physical limitations of the camera w/ the time lapse (the battery bay is underneath...right next to the connector for the tripod - you could script an all night time lapse of a sky rotation, for example, but the batteries would die before it finished...requiring moving the camera and fucking up the shot)

it's been at least a year since i've fiddled w/ it, tho - this is as good of a reminder as any to see what other trouble i can get into with it ;)

ganja_hasi

natural mystic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi there chdk bro :biggrin:
it's an amazing tool for sure..I'll take a closer look on it this WE and I'll let you know about my experience with it :)
I think, like most manufacturers, that Canon tiers there features so the more money you spend on higher models the more features you would get.
exactly :yes:

bye for now
:gday:

WasntMe

I have a couple of A480s which only have auto focus UNTIL you add CHDK.
The A480s you can get refurbed for about $50 and CHDK unlocks tons of features on it ... turning it into a few hundred dollar camera.

How to manual focus the Canon A480 using CHDK

some other stuff you can do with an A480 using CHDK

to be honest there are still a lot of features, like the histogram a zebra graphs, that I do not know what their purpose is. I like the zebra function but don't know the best way to apply it. There are a bunch of feature that their uses are more advanced then my photography knowledge.

WasntMe

I think my next 2 photography DIY projects will be to make a usb remote trigger to use on my CHDK cameras and maybe a Time Lapse motion rail to move the camera during a time lapse sequence.

I definitely need to make the usb trigger. Being able to remote trigger a P&S will get rid of any small shake, even when it's on a tripod, that causes blur in my macro shots.

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
until you get the trigger figured out, a delay can avoid the shakes in the interim

Latest posts

Latest posts