What's new

Any Marathon Runners?

SEPlantMan

What's up everyone, I've been lurking for awhile and got a few grows under my belt thanks to the info here. I've also been training for my first marathon. I've got 5 weeks until I run it. I've always been a runner but have never really run competitively. My training is going very well and I smoke out 2-3 times a week, two days prior to my weekly long run and the evening before the run. I was wondering if there are any marathon/ultra-runners here that smoke moderately during training and if I should take a week off or so from smoking prior to the race? I haven't felt any problems on my long runs from cannabis, but I've also never done more than 15 miles when I wasn't using cannabis. My goal is a 3:19:00 so that I can qualify for the Boston Marathon, so if I'm hurting my performance by smoking then I'll refrain from smoking prior to the race. The thing is I enjoy smoking too much to stop during training especially when I'm meeting my training goals!

SEPlantMan

It was actually the Detroit Marathon, and deaths in races are rare. There are .8 deaths per 100,000 marathon participants. MSM likes throw crap out like this out there, but they never mention the millions of people that finish marathons nor do they cover the winners of marathons.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I used to think marathons were a big deal, 23 miles is a long way though, until is saw people racing 100 miles off road through the mountains on foot. I saw this in trailrunner magazine, absolutely amazing.

I like to run fast short duration runs, like a 4 mile run in like 25 min. It seems to be less taxing on the body and a great exericse. I tried the long distance stuff, but I turn into a bean pole and lose muscle mass, not good for me at 6+ ft tall.

SEPlantMan

I guess this is why I lurk....
Marathons are a big deal and aren't to be taken lightly no matter your fitness level. Trail running is a whole different beast than marathon running. I also trail run and that is my running background but I've never done more than a 20 mile trail run. In trail runs different muscles are used and their use is in bursts (due to changes in terrain and grades) versus a marathon road race you're using the same muscles over and over. The road race is more about speed where as the trail run is not. The 50 mile and 100 mile races are pretty amazing. And I plan on doing a 50 mile trail run next summer. Also I've actually added 4 pounds muscle mass since I started my marathon training 4 months ago as I incorporate strength training in my program. And if I lose any of it, then that means my diet is improper and I will adjust. So have you competed in any 5k races? Do you smoke regularly 2 weeks out from the race? But that doesn't really give me any insight as I used to smoke hours before cross country meets in high school. I can run 5 miles a day at pace without following any real diet plan or sleep schedule.

C6H6

heres my .02
if youve already trained while smoking and the race is comming up, it probably wont make a whole lotta difference. your body will take time to adjust to no longer smoking and only after consisintly not smoking and running will you see a difference.

Croissant

yeah a marathon is not to be taken lightly I walk/jogged one about a month ago to replace someone injured in a 1000 mile relay run. I would suggest quitting smoking for a a bit especially since this is your first one unless toking gets you into some sort of meditative state that helps you run a marathon... try smoking when you run a half marathon and see how it goes compared the the other half marathon in your taining...

G

gogoplata420

im not a marathon runner but i have alot of respect for those who are

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got mad props for people who run marathons, but the training plus the race itself is hella impact on your body. Especially the training. Getting prepped to run 26 miles is no joke. A lot of serious long distance runners develop problems. Like I said, respect.

anikas88

I use to be a long distance runner a couple of years ago, i use to run about 8-9 miles a night, with alot hills. I tried running at night the air felt alot cleaner and it was cool but not too cold like some mornings.Although i lived in the perfect place to run, a small beach town in socal with alot of hills and not alot traffic. I didnt smoke often but whenever i did it didnt impact me at all. But now i would recommend a vaporizer or maybe eating edibles and smoke before bed. moderation is probably key. when i ran i would get really faded off the smallest amounts of bud, probably because i would run and drink alot water.

SEPlantMan

heres my .02
if youve already trained while smoking and the race is comming up, it probably wont make a whole lotta difference. your body will take time to adjust to no longer smoking and only after consisintly not smoking and running will you see a difference.
I have a co worker that is running the same race(it's his 4th or so marathon) so I asked him about it and he said he knows someone that smokes quite regularly and does not change anything. He said not to change anything this late in the game especially with me meeting my training goals.

JBlaze

I used to race in sprints and half ironmans. I'm a full time stoner and smoking has never affected me adversely as using alcohol. I believe the cannabis helped me deal with the rigors of training and healing.

Wish you the best of luck. Also the best advice I can give you is the moderately train for your race. A lot of guys I know burn themselves out with their training routine, they're absolutely done by race day.

SEPlantMan

I use to be a long distance runner a couple of years ago, i use to run about 8-9 miles a night, with alot hills. I tried running at night the air felt alot cleaner and it was cool but not too cold like some mornings.Although i lived in the perfect place to run, a small beach town in socal with alot of hills and not alot traffic. I didnt smoke often but whenever i did it didnt impact me at all. But now i would recommend a vaporizer or maybe eating edibles and smoke before bed. moderation is probably key. when i ran i would get really faded off the smallest amounts of bud, probably because i would run and drink alot water.
Yeah I smoke moderately which is about 3-5 bowls a week, and that is between 2 days. That's good to hear it didn't affect your running either.

I smoke between 5-7 fatties each day and did that for 10 years. In november last year , the 12 november , i took some shoes on and run 8 km. Now i have finshed 2 trail maratons and still training for maraton running. i run 3-4 times each week and i always smoke before and after the run. I belive Mary J helps me big time and she make my lungs bigger so i can take more air inside 4 my body to use.. if your training 4 maraton u have to run 40-50 km each week. I have plans about ultra runs also but atm i cant get the time to run that much each week..maybe next year ...big ups to all smoking runners. Dont ewer belive or think ganja isent healthy when you run cuz she is ..shes importent as pasta party before a maraton. Runners high and Ganja is almost the same imo

I used to race in sprints and half ironmans. I'm a full time stoner and smoking has never affected me adversely as using alcohol. I believe the cannabis helped me deal with the rigors of training and healing.

Wish you the best of luck. Also the best advice I can give you is the moderately train for your race. A lot of guys I know burn themselves out with their training routine, they're absolutely done by race day.

Amen :woohoo: rekreativ use it is

Btw . the 20 april Me and some others runners around the world run 42 km. We call it the Global Ganja run and its becuz we want to make focus on Cannabis and health. We made some shirts we all will run in that day..hopefully in a few years i will see many of theese shirts around the world

B

Brauer

in okt there is a amsterdam marathon .ill be there .would be cool if someone from icmag would join 2

I guess this is why I lurk....
Marathons are a big deal and aren't to be taken lightly no matter your fitness level. Trail running is a whole different beast than marathon running. I also trail run and that is my running background but I've never done more than a 20 mile trail run. In trail runs different muscles are used and their use is in bursts (due to changes in terrain and grades) versus a marathon road race you're using the same muscles over and over. The road race is more about speed where as the trail run is not. The 50 mile and 100 mile races are pretty amazing. And I plan on doing a 50 mile trail run next summer. Also I've actually added 4 pounds muscle mass since I started my marathon training 4 months ago as I incorporate strength training in my program. And if I lose any of it, then that means my diet is improper and I will adjust. So have you competed in any 5k races? Do you smoke regularly 2 weeks out from the race? But that doesn't really give me any insight as I used to smoke hours before cross country meets in high school. I can run 5 miles a day at pace without following any real diet plan or sleep schedule.

It took me half a year to train my self up to a Trail maraton..Now i did 3 and 3 regular maratons..I been running in 14 months and i knewer did run before...Im also now turning my eyes towards Ultra runs..I also build up mucsels and gained wieght..I run 100 -150 km each month but the last weeks i al ready up on 120 km..i have my 7 maraton race on saturday..Maratons is pretty cozy when u get used to it..My PR is 3 hours and 56 min..I run "bare feet"..Im going to france in septemper and i will run a maraton but i need a guide so i wont get lost? Is here a french ganja runner thats up 4 a run in September ?

Latest posts

Latest posts