What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Hermits On IC mag?

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
It's a dream of mine..a small organic farm in the country. Not a 100 miles from any civilization but just that i dont have to deal with the crowds..and grow my herb and food in peace. And hey..if you feel the need to socialize..get an apartment for a month or something.

N

NZjay

with the way the world is, and the way alot of people are nowadays, its not suprising to read that most of us here really like solitude to a high degree.
but noone has said "i keep to myself coz i grow" or anything. its all a personal thing.

myself included though. ive lived alone since i was 14.. and loved it.
i like being alone. i was married for 2 years..(2 years ago) and i did enjoy the family life. A step Son, A beautiful Wife, would have been perfect if only us 3. but she has a HUGE family.. i hated having 3 familys visit over on weekends... and pretty much 1-2 family visits a day.... man... i just wanted to be alone, (Alone with Wife and kid would have been fine) smoke a bowl, and relax by myself SOOO many times.

Some family members smoked too, which helped sometimes.. lol..

now im divorced.. and keep to myself while im full time growing. i prefer it this way.
me and my girls - no dramas - plenty of "relaxing" time. :joint:

i could very easily, live in the mountains, with little human contact.

Last edited:

PhantomPower

As an introvert myself, I too fantasize about living in solitude one day. My wife calls me "mountain man" and says I should go live in the hills.

Honestly, I get more than enough social interaction from my wife. If I didn't socialize at work, she would pretty much be the only person I interact with.

We're making plans to move to the country in the next 5 years.

marx2k

Veteran
Stoner4Life said:
thats me mostly....... I live so far in the country that the nearest interstate is 130 miles from me, it's 75 miles round trip to the cinema, so far in the country that I pass a sign warning you to stop at this McDonalds as the next one is 93 miles away & if I turned around and went the other way it's over 85 miles to the next McDonalds, that's 3 McDonalds in a 178 mile span. I get my mail at the general store, a town with a population of 60 or so doesn't rate a real US post office. And that's my 13 pound walleye on one of my dusty log walls. Fireplace & tin roof too, you gotta hear that rain fall.
HPIM1871.jpg

But yet you have no trouble getting internet access?! :)

marx2k

Veteran
I've done my time living in NYC for 20+ years. You only realize how awful it is when you move OUT of the city.

Now I live a few miles outside of a town with about 170,000 people in it (capital of the state). I don't see anyone on a daily basis except for the people I work with and the people I go to school with and my girlfriend. At work, I don't talk to anyone the whole time. Cubicle job...

At school, I talk to classmates but only about school related stuff.

So really, I only talk to my girlfriend and that's fine.

For the past couple years, people have started to become strange to me. If anyone's read Nabokov's "Invitation To A Beheading", you'll understand what I mean. It's as though everyone is constantly just playing out their parts in a grand play. Like everyone is just reading from a script.

It's kind of hard to explain, but everyone seems to be sticking to a very certain set of social roles. Whatever situation in life people are in, they act like actors playing out that situation in life. They don't seem like real people. They all seem like poor emulations of actors you'd see on TV or in the movies.

I really can't explain it any better than that, sorry. :( But I just choose to stay away from all of it. The people I tend to hang out with don't usually show their personality by the clothes they wear, the car they drive, the home they own, etc etc The people I tend to hang out with transcend material possessions and focus on other aspects of life.

Maybe that's what my issue is with most people. Most people seem to be caught up in "the game". Living their life to own more things, constantly comparing themselves to their peers, constantly feeding that addiction which in the end does not bring happiness. So I guess the people I hang out with realize that the best things in life are not things.

Last edited:

marx2k

Veteran
rkrone said:
marx2k, they do have satellite internet you know :D

Damn, had to play the satellite card! I forgot about that. But last I heard, that's EXPENSIVE.. I don't know how you'd earn the money to run satellite internet living in the middle of nowhere.

G

good post marx2k, and although i have never read the book you mentioned i know exactly what you mean in your description of the people that surround you. i feel the same way sometimes...

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
marx2k said:
Damn, had to play the satellite card! I forgot about that. But last I heard, that's EXPENSIVE.. I don't know how you'd earn the money to run satellite internet living in the middle of nowhere.

well if you lived on a good sized farm..you would make a lot more money than in a cubicle..:D

And they are not THAT expensive..i've even seen some cost 50$ a month + equipment.

Satellite internet is what i hope to be using one day :D

Last edited:
D

daisy jane

b8man said:
Just wondering.

I know if i've got some good weed I don't need much in the way of human contact - and even without i'm pretty introverted. I wondered if any of the posters on here are recluses? And if so - why? And if not, does the idea appeal?

Could you live in a log cabin, up a mountain far far from the maddening crowds?????

de dum de dum

b8 :joint:

Oh I could definitely live in a secluded place. In fact, that is what I am hoping to do fairly soon. I have lived in big cites my entire life. I hate it. Living in the mountains is ideal for me. Very, very far away from people. I guess I am considered introverted. I like seeing my friends, but I am not dependent on them. That is my main problem with girls, if you don't call a girl, who is your friend, at least 2 times a week then you get in trouble. My old best friend was this way. She would complain that I didn't call her or hang out with her enough. I wanted a friend, not a girlfriend. Someone who you can not talk to for weeks and call them up and you two are still great friends.

Why? I don't like to hang out with a lot of people because the majority of them are very stupid. It sucks when you start to notice that one of your friends is the biggest idiot around. Hahaha.

R03

Yeah i'm not much of a people person either. In the mountains, or forest, with no one around and i'd be perfectly happy.

Some people go crazy being alone, and need to go out with friends all the time. Yet they have nothing to do, so they go to the bar and form an addiction to alcohol. So then they make up some excuse about Thursdays being the new Friday, and they all get together and drink. They're shitfaced and work the next day, it's all just an excuse to get together and drink themselves silly one more day ontop of fri, sat, sun.

I'm a loner, I have quite a few friends but I like my space. The one exception would be with my girlfriend, but I am single. Though most girls i go out with are not my type, they are always forever calling me as well. I rather be alone, then with some girl who i don't even like. I need my space, though I think if they were the right type of girl I wouldn't mind spending all this time, since they're not I don't call them. They get sick of this quite quickly and start nagging me, once I hear nagging I'm gone. I have to say I find most of the girls I've met really boring, incapable of having conversations that are mildly interesting or thought provoking, and none smoke pot, let alone grow.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
b8man said:
Wow! Stoner4life I gotta say, I do kindof envy you. It sounds like you're pretty happy too. Ever miss the madness of civilization? And do you live with people or on your own?

I'm not sure how much of a substitute having a good internet connection would be, but is there that much of a difference chatting with friends in person and doing it online??? A girl, a cabin, a view, an internet connection, access to TV.... I really wouldn't miss shopping and malls.

B8
Live on my own for now, hoping to find the next 'MsStoner4Now' soon. Hi speed net just got here 2 yrs ago, thank God. As far as missing the rat race... I get back out to NYC area every so often.

Toking up my meds while watching the sun set over Bad Medicine Lake is a real plus though.......

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
marx2k said:
As mentioned above I just recently got hi speeed net service along with cable TV, I live 35 miles from the provider & was one of the last to get those services.......

& yes I had sattelite service for TV & just dial up net previously.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Solitude is seductive, and can be good for your spirit, I find it to be so. But being a hermit sucks ass chaps. No women, no friends, no phone, no pizza delivery, hehe. I have grown in exile, in a city, for over thirteen seasons now, and being a hermit sucks.
H

b8man

Veteran
Great posts ppl! You're making me feel that bit more normal.

I really thought there was something a little wrong with me until recently when I catagorized myself as an introvert. The following is an extract from a post on http://briankim.net/blog/2007/10/top-5-things-every-extrovert-should-know-about-introverts/

I urge you to read it - it's an interesting observation and something that does seem to correlate with stoners.

Here are a few extracts:

"Extroverts tend to be those who are more energized when around other people. They are the ones who will reach for the cell phone when alone for more than a minute, the ones who love to go out every weekend, the ones who love to chit chat, mingle, and socialize.

Introverts tend to be those who are more energized when alone with themselves. They are the ones who have to be dragged to parties, who are the first ones ready to leave after a short period of time, and who generally enjoy solitary activities such as reading, writing, and daydreaming.

The qualities and characteristics of introverts are often held in a negative light in today’s world, so it’s only natural that the majority of people seem to think that there’s something wrong with them."

"Introverts have more brain activity in their frontal lobes and when these areas are activated through solitary activity, introverts become energized through processes such as problem solving, introspection, and complex thinking.

Extroverts on the other hand tend to have more activity in the back of their brain, areas that deal with processing sensory information from the external world, so they tend to search for external stimuli in the form of interacting with other people and the outside world to energize them. "

- the rest of the article totally hits the nail on the head for me. Extroverts are like another species. It's just the world we live in values the loud and proud rather than the quiet and thoughtful.

B8 :redface:

marx2k

Veteran
I really cannot relate to people who always have to be in constant contact with everyone they know all the time via cell phone, text messaging, instant messaging, email, etc. I keep my cell phone off, I check my EMail once a day, I have text messaging turned off (since my phone is off) and I rarely use instant messaging.

I can't imagine wanting to ever be that accessible. Besides, people recently have completely lost comprehension as to what is considered rude in relation to cell phones in public situations. So much so that we are now seeing signs forbidding cell phone conversations in public places (at the DMV, for instance, there are signs to not use your cell phone while being attended to by a DMV rep). Things that were common sense just a few years ago have been completely lost in the shuffle of the "fast paced, hypercapitalistic" lifestyle of most Americans.

NPK

I live in an urban locale with my soon-to-be wife, so I can't really say I'm a hermit in any literal sense--but yeah, I am an introvert. I work from home and spend most of the day alone. I detest crowds and organize my day such that I get shopping and errands done when most everyone else is at work. I enjoy my own company very much--always have. I even get a little irritated when the phone rings.

I have to admit that my keep-to-myself ways worry me a little. Sometimes I wonder whether it's a little unhealthy--humans are social by nature, after all. Sometimes my thoughts turn toward the macabre, and I wonder things like, will there even be anyone at my funeral? Yeah. A little unhealthy. Still, I prefer to be alone.

bizar4u

Great thread. I work alone, and usually find interactions with others to be energy depleting rather than energy sustaining. But not always. Sometimes I like to go out and I always deeply enjoy my family and close friends.

All of which is to say that for me, and for most folks I expect, there's a little of both -- it's not one or the other.

When I was a kid, my dad used to say: "you're a loner," and he said it in a way that was approving, even a bit admiring. And I've done a lot of travelling alone. I like that a lot.

B

DoubleJ

Born and raised in the metropolis, its all I know really.

My long term plan is to retire to somewhere I can grow my own herb, food and live in peace though. At this stage in my life I couldnt live without the hype/buzz of the big city.

b8man said:
Great posts ppl! You're making me feel that bit more normal.

I really thought there was something a little wrong with me until recently when I catagorized myself as an introvert. The following is an extract from a post on http://briankim.net/blog/2007/10/top-5-things-every-extrovert-should-know-about-introverts/

I urge you to read it - it's an interesting observation and something that does seem to correlate with stoners.

great article!
as you said it hit the nail on the head for me

Latest posts

Latest posts