What's new

Any Experience With Seed Morphology Predicting Dominance?

Eleutherios

So, it is pretty simple, I have noticed that some of the landraces/heirlooms, that I am working with, produce seeds, with strikingly different morphologies. For an example I have Tashkurgan x (Sinai x Kumaoni) that has seeds, that are completely dominated by the influence of the Sinai. The color is dark and fairly uniform and they are very small. Where as the other two cultivars, have strikingly large seeds. I have definitely observed the Sinai to have heavy dominance in it's crossings. On the other hand, I have a number of crosses with an Afghan Kush plant. (I'd guess Nuristan Province, based on the list and the fact that it is SO similar to the Chitrali, and considering the historic, ethnic connection between the two regions) Anyways, it is a fantastic plant, but for better or worse, is CBD only more or less. In almost every cross, that I have with it, the seeds are very large. I'm very curious as to how that plays out both in terms of general phenotypical dominance, with the offspring, but also in predicting the resulting chemotype, in terms of THC vs CDB dominance, or some combination. I'm also wondering how much a particular plant expressing a THC or CBD chemotype predicts the offspring being the same is true. When they themselves are part of a population, that contains both. Just wondering about thoughts and experiences from your collective end.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
What does morphological mean in biology?
morphology, in biology, the study of the size, shape, and structure of animals, plants, and microorganisms and of the relationships of their constituent parts. The term refers to the general aspects of biological form and arrangement of the parts of a plant or an animal.

Eleutherios

What does morphological mean in biology?
morphology, in biology, the study of the size, shape, and structure of animals, plants, and microorganisms and of the relationships of their constituent parts. The term refers to the general aspects of biological form and arrangement of the parts of a plant or
Are you asking why I used that particular term? I mean it is relevant. Since it is a question about the seed's size, shape and color reflecting the dominance of other characteristics, once germinated.