What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Electricians?

EastCoast710

i found out that its setup where there is 5 upper breakers that control the house.. like instead of 1 main. i have 5.. old house wired in the 70s. no clue why.. i have to just turn off all 5 to turn off the entire house..

the 100amp.. the 60 amp. and the 2 30amps.. and a 15 amp i think are the 5 mains.. that controll the rest of the board.. i have no clue why this is setup like this

rykus

Doesn't make sense to me.... If you look at your house there is 3 big wires that connect to a mast and travel down to a meter, after this there is 100% some sort of main disconnect.

You should be able to visually see if you remove the cover the big copper cables mounting to the panel... The power then goes down the 2 copper plates the breakers attach too.. If there is room then just add the appropriate breaker, a small run of copper core wire to an outlet.

Pretty basic. I would guess the 100/60/ 2 30's are all either for larger appliances or sub panels. Wierd though I bet there is more somewhere.