What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Clever or alternative 3x3 Flood tray Ideas?

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Usually I see people come up with alternatives to a lot of things around here. The 3x3 tables are crazy on shipping and I'm wondering if anyone has found alternatives like shower trays or Washing machine trays or something along those lines that have worked out well.

I know there are a lot of people in different professions that see things on a daily basis that give them alternatives to mainstream ideas/items.

Any suggestions would be grateful. I hate driving to grow stores and the shipping is just robbery.

Mister_D

Veteran
I build tables out of plywood and 2x8's, then line them with pond liner. The white grate is normally used to diffuse light in flouroscent fixtures. These can be scaled to any size.

picture.php

I've built a few beds like that too. I just filled them with soil and planted. I've done them both with drains and without. They didn't look as tight at Mister D's though. Nice job dude!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Home Depot has a "Cement Mixing Tray" or somesuch... I believe it's about 3x3 but It's been a while since I used it. Needs support but you can drill it for e&f and it's at least 6" deep.

Mine was $15

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Mister_D

Veteran
Alot of you are liking my table idea. If anyone would like i'll dig out some construction pics, and explain how it's put together a bit better.

S

SeaMaiden

I was going to suggest the deep cement mixing tubs, but Lowe's and Home de Pot don't always carry consistent sizes. I like that big ol' bed Mister D posted a picture of.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
Just get the Botanicare flood tray...in the end....you will be glad you did. I have used the cement mixing trays...and they are flimsy...and cheaply made. Do it once...do it right....will always save you $$$$ and grief down the road. Pick the tray up at your local hydro shop.

TpM

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Just get the Botanicare flood tray...in the end....you will be glad you did. I have used the cement mixing trays...and they are flimsy...and cheaply made. Do it once...do it right....will always save you $$$$ and grief down the road. Pick the tray up at your local hydro shop.

TpM

This is what I would do in the future... yes. :D
Very sound advice.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Try an RV salvage yard for either 'Fresh water holding tanks' or Grey water holding tanks. They tend to be pre-plumbed for and are made to go down the road with water in them... so you just have to saw the top out of them.

Mister_D

Veteran
Lots of interest in how my tables are built. My room is full right now, and I don't have the pictures I thought I did. Give me a week or two and i'll shoot some pics when I setup a new table in my breeding room.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Bumping this back up. I need 16 3X3 trays and don't like $75 price tags.

The cement mixing tubs I use have an OD of 3'x 2' Got those at home depot, Those are much cheaper. I have zero problems, even if they are ABS plastic.

I also use a shower drain, I can just cut one penetration, plumb my hose through that, with a little cutting of the mesh, and its so big I'm not worried about the pump over filling the tub. If you were to cut holes for a drain.

Joint Lock

Concrete mixing trays use 2 one inside the other for durability if u don't use heavy duty ones . Ive ran these for years a 50 gallon Rubbermaid underneath and a pump with a roll of hose ....

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Yeah I've seen those. I really need a 3X3 to maximize my space though.

Finding the exact dimentions is hard.. I've also seen sleds that can be used as a tray that are close to that size but they tend to be rectangle than square.

I'm looking for a prefab solution too, Id rather garden than build but I can build..

Finding the exact dimentions is hard.. I've also seen sleds that can be used as a tray that are close to that size but they tend to be rectangle than square.

I'm looking for a prefab solution too, Id rather garden than build but I can build..

Well said. I called a few plastic supply companies gauging price as I was going to build my own tubs but it doesn't make cents. Might have to just fork over the cash for the damn 3X3 trays if I don't find anything in the next few weeks. What sleds are you talking about?

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Well said. I called a few plastic supply companies gauging price as I was going to build my own tubs but it doesn't make cents. Might have to just fork over the cash for the damn 3X3 trays if I don't find anything in the next few weeks. What sleds are you talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Terrain-90030-Utility-Sled/dp/B003Z74GKU

I've seen them in my local walmart, but this is snow country.. I was looking at them a few years ago for a grow I was building. The wash tub that you linked also looks alot like it.

coldcanna

Veteran
If you just need a table to put pots on metal roofing onto a 2x4 frame is slick, you can slope it so everything runs off the table. Obv if you need a flood table this doesn't work