What's new

Any Chefs? Culinary School grads?

C

chefro420

ehhe

Also gotta love massive amounts of stress , alcohol , cocaine , grass , maybe some opiates , dirty front of the house/kitchen girls , lack of sleep , no personal life/weekends/holidays off , shitty pay ,unless your a chef maybe , but then your working 70-120 hours and it really isnt much money when you think about it , constantly beating yourself up physically and mentally , tendonitis or carpal tunnel is in your future , aching back/knees/feet , shitty bosses and co-workers , lay offs in the off season , 110 degree kitchens , shit bags stealing your prep on a saturday , and assholes like me heckling ya

RUN BOY!!:tiphat:

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
ah my brutha so i see U really have been there.....
and EVEN with all that and more......greed owners....UNIONS....and corporate devils.....number crunching accountants and even more scare....food horror stories......

would'nt have it ANY other way.......liv'in the dream, they say....

BUT MOST NEVER MAKE IT THAT FAR.... seriously

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
ah my brutha so i see U really have been there.....
and EVEN with all that and more......greed owners....UNIONS....and corporate devils.....number crunching accountants and even more scare....food horror stories......

would'nt have it ANY other way.......liv'in the dream, they say....

BUT MOST NEVER MAKE IT THAT FAR.... seriously

Alas...

Some light at the end of the tunnel... LOL

Ojo

yortbogey

Veteran
that light is cause sum dam waitress ....left the walk in door open all night.....AGAIN.......

C

chefro420

oooooops forgot that , slow , semi retarded, un-appreciative waitstaff that will stand there and haunt you for there food ! I'd just stop cooking and look at them till they walked away :) Oh yeah , don't piss off the frustrated guy cooking your food or the server he is banging atm . You won't believe the things he may do to your food

yortbogey

Veteran
we use to make'm cry and scatter like cockroaches......

this is the end all of the end all for ANY disbelievers......

ITz....Simple ......"Name me a Famous Chef"......everyone knows @least one....from sum show, restaurant...or sumthang......name just one....

then step back and ask them to name ONE Famous waiter.......

NOT gonna happen

C

chefro420

we use to make'm cry and scatter like cockroaches......

this is the end all of the end all for ANY disbelievers......

ITz....Simple ......"Name me a Famous Chef"......everyone knows @least one....from sum show, restaurant...or sumthang......name just one....

then step back and ask them to name ONE Famous waiter.......

NOT gonna happen

My friend and I were just talking about that . How do they make so much money ? and for what??

P

Puddin'tane

What completely sickens me is the amount of ignorance and apathy in both f&boh employees, that runs right up to the top where it flourishes like ecoli in the sprouts..
These fool t.v. chefs have a crew of hundreds behind them getting NO credit except in the fine print on the back page or at the end of the credit reel. The only way to make it these days as a 6 figure chef is to 1. be an asshole 2. have a pr manager 3. contract in to big money from day 1..

but famous waiters?? wtf you talkin bout willis? :laughing: those poor bastards..what? no slip? NO FOOD. SCREW. ..go do some sidework and I'll think aboout throwing chicken fingers at you one at a time..maybe.

C

chefro420

Chicken fingers that they would eat off my plate when I walked around the corner? SOme dave insanity sauced mixed into ketchup on the plate always fixed that !

yortbogey

Veteran
we once breaded and fried a piece of cardboard ..... and feed it to the WAITRON's......just too prove a point.....

C

chefro420

Or a urinal cake all painted up with anglaise and coulis , whip cream , etc for the bartenders bday?

And the crazy eccentric, drunken coke head owners!

yortbogey

Veteran
don't forget the jack leg..... dumb-ass "sales" people.....or food rep's.....

and don't even get me started on Food Shows or Competitions......

P

Puddin'tane

lmfao..we had a dishwasher liked to save food from plates coming back in. We battered 4 dinner napkins we had trimmed to a basic fish shape and dropped em in the fryer and slipped it to a waitress and told her to come back in bitchin that all the guy ate was his fries and didnt even touch his fish..sure to form..this kid grabbed that fried napkinfish threw it in a styro, dropped a handful and snagged some tartar..day or two later we asked him how his fish was the other night and he said "I brought it home to my mom..she said it was good but a little dry."
:laughing: :laughing:
We poured drawn butter on this same kids windshield one winter just for shits and giggles..he finally quit when we took him out for a highride after work and loaded up the backseat with shrimp..:muahaha:

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
worked the "line" for many years...

never went to culinary school. worked my way up by being on the job.

tough industry but it can take you a lot of places and i wouldn't trade the

relationships for anything.

D

Durdy

Get some strong coffee :) and some good Herb, you'll be fine!!

Can't wait to start my 3rd semester of culinary school this fall :)

PS. Get a wet stone, Once you've used a sharp knife, you'll realize how shitty 99% of the knives in the world are

D

Durdy

God, I really feel like I should give you the advice all of my buddies who went to J&W or the LCB program told me they wished they had received...."DON'T GO TO SCHOOL!"

You'll leave with $40k+ in debt and the best you're gonna get for the first few years without a great connections or significant practical experience is $15 an hour...and that's if you really luck out. The best Chefs I have ever met never spent a day in culinary school.

N0t necessarily true, My entire two year program costs a little over $2000 including knives and what not, plus its real easy to get scholarships that cover ALL the expenses. It's a fairly well known program as well, while our facilities may be pretty shitty (but most kitchens are!) the knowledge there is top notch.

C

chefro420

That is good advice . Better off trying to work for free in the best kitchens you possibly can . If your good, the connections you get will be worth 100x more then any school .

Also in school there isn't really the feeling of stress and urgency you get in a real kitchen .

yortbogey

Veteran
That is good advice . Better off trying to work for free in the best kitchens you possibly can . If your good, the connections you get will be worth 100x more then any school .

Also in school there isn't really the feeling of stress and urgency you get in a real kitchen .

school also DOESN'T.....prepare U for the Heat, and Extreme Behaviors
most kitchen has.....

U gott get thick skin to make it.......

ps.....forget about making the BIG ... Bucks.......just focus on
learning the CRAFT
the rest will follow if U'r g00d enuff........MOST fail .....
and become sumthang other than a Chef....

hear me know and believe me later

Latest posts

Latest posts