What's new

Any Canadians know about Fernie?

emkman

Hey all, I am going to Fernie, British Columbia next week and do not want to risk taking medicine across the border. Does anyone familiar with the area know the best place to look for some, so I don't waste my time or get ripped off. Last time I was in Toronto people were offering it to me on the streets, but I don't think it will be that easy this time because Fernie is smaller. Any help would be much appreciated!

Storm Crow

Veteran
You might ask over at treatingyourself.com, a nice little Canadian medical cannabis site. The folks there are very friendly and helpful!- Granny

G

alright, i just posted but then lost my connection so here it goes again.......

There are soooo many stoners in that town. Its gettin a little too big and commercialized for my taste, but what can ya do. Just walk down the street and stop in a few of the skate/board/bike shops and you're bound to meet some chill people if you don't look like a straight up cop or act like a prick.

My favorite board shop there (can't remember the name) has a little loft thats always playing a ski/board film, complete with a little couch. THe ground floor has a backroom with a pretty nice sized miniramp that you can skate if you bring your own board. Youu need a helmet, but i think you can rent them for $5. Just have to sign a release form and you're good to go.

Check out Board Stiff clothing. The owner/operator is mad chill. Not talkin about scoring, but just an overall cool guy to talk to and ask questions about the area. while you're in you can always make it worth his while by picking up a few tees or something. The couple i got from there are still in good shape after a few years and maddd comfortable.

Hope you're hitting the slopes if you're goin there. Look around at the Grizz bar and you're bound to meet some chill people who can direct you pretty well. RIght at the base around the rental shop and restaurants and whatever there's a little campfire type setup goin that usually has some tokers around it. You'll smell the good smell if they're around :rasta: lunch hour is your best bet.

Make sure to get up early and hit it from open til noon. After that the snow gets a bit heavy and just isn't quite as fun. When i was there, i hit the main mountain and cheked out bowls and wome of the sick faces during the morning before the sun hit and the powder was fresh, then moved to the park (PITA to get to IMHO) in the afternoon since you'll need some faster snow to hit that well. WHen i went, they had it set up that you pretty much wanted to ride right through to keep enough speed, except there were little lines at the in-runs to each set so you prolly will piss off some people/break park etiquette if you just start going straight through. THey had a nasty lil 6 or 7 meter tall hip about 1/3 of the way down when i was there. If you hit that with some speed it'll be fun.

Try to avoid weekend if you can, as thats when all the Americans bus up over the border and crowd the resort. Its still pretty empty compared to most other places, but you go from no line at the base to a 10 minute line. You probably won't be hitting the base lift more than 2 or 3 times all day, even if you're out there for 6+ hours, just cause the better bowl rideing is towards the top.

Try to hook up with a local if you can. Plenty of people around there willing to show you some nice runs. WHen I was there, I just started talking to people in line/ on the lift rides and basically found free guides. There are some fun cat tracks to launch off of iif you get bored and f you find them/somebody shows ya.

Don't be afraid of hittin the rope tow to the top face, as that'll give you some of the best riding.

I guess that i focused a lil too much on the hill and not so much scoring, but it really shouldn't be a problem IMHO. Just don't be an asshole and don't be afreaid to approach a few people.

emkman

Thanks so much for the info! I am going to be riding Monday thru Thursday and I'm real excited. There is less than average snow right now: http://www.skifernie.com/conditions/snow-report.aspx but the base is solid and the snow is coming next week. Even where there is no snow in the forecast they still seem to get a few inches up on the mountain. I didn't think it would be hard to find herb, but I appreciate the tips. I take pride in having found herb in every country I have been to including Thailand. Thanks again, I appreciate you typing that again after losing it, we've all had that happen to us.

emkman

Oh and Storm Crow, thanks for reminding me about treatingyouself! I had forgotten it when going through the list of good canadian forums. Good thing ICmag is international, just like the name.

Latest posts

Latest posts