What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any bowyers?

Timj

Here are a few roughed out bow blanks I made. I'm very happy with the one in the front. I got a little thin on one of the limbs on the one in the back. I used my chainsaw to quarter the tree. I used my bandsaw to rough the majority of the blanks and finished the basic shape using a draw knife on my bowyers bench.
blanks.jpg
20240401_170102.jpg

hfm

Here are a few roughed out bow blanks I made. I'm very happy with the one in the front. I got a little thin on one of the limbs on the one in the back. I used my chainsaw to quarter the tree. I used my bandsaw to rough the majority of the blanks and finished the basic shape using a draw knife on my bowyers bench. View attachment 18981828 View attachment 18981829
You're off to a great start by the looks of it,that's awesome! What type of wood are you using?
Please continue to show your progress :)

Timj

You're off to a great start by the looks of it,that's awesome! What type of wood are you using?
Please continue to show your progress :)
Thanks, Black walnut. I needed to remove a tree from the back of my shop. I have Ash and some Black Locust on our property too. But, the Locust is huge.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
they closed my local Woodcraft store, pissed me off. had damn near anything you might want, from tools to REALLY pretty pieces of exotic wood for laminations.

hfm

Thanks, Black walnut. I needed to remove a tree from the back of my shop. I have Ash and some Black Locust on our property too. But, the Locust is huge.
Will hunt some locust,non native mulberry and maybe an osage up this year.Also tried to start some mulberry cuttings and did some osage pruning to grow a few with some purpose.Besides if you never get to cut on it you atleast grew a tree ;)

Timj

Will hunt some locust,non native mulberry and maybe an osage up this year.Also tried to start some mulberry cuttings and did some osage pruning to grow a few with some purpose.Besides if you never get to cut on it you atleast grew a tree ;)
I have Mulberry trees on our property. But, they are all multi trunk larger trees. The smaller seedlings are full of small branches. A neighbor is going to Iowa in the fall and is going to pick me up a few Osage blanks to work with.

hfm

I have Mulberry trees on our property. But, they are all multi trunk larger trees. The smaller seedlings are full of small branches. A neighbor is going to Iowa in the fall and is going to pick me up a few Osage blanks to work with.
Sounds like a good neighbor to have :)
very cool stuff!

Timj

why, i'd help someone like that rake their leaves in the fall... and i HATE raking leaves! :bow:
I'm sure we'll even the score somehow. In our area, neighbors just help each other out without expectations of anything in return. I give away a lot of free weed. I had tree roots grow into my leach field last summer. On a Saturday, two of my neighbors showed up and hydro-jetted out my entire leach field. This kind of thing is normal where I live.

hfm

Got out some fiberglass tape and wow is that stuff the stuff now,really makes a great backing or it sure feels springyer :)

buzzmobile

Veteran
@buzzmobile Yeah I'm just learning and blowing alot of them up still.Sometimes they shoot real nice but until I have the feel for my limits in the wood (knots,twists etc.) but also how far you can push each one during tillering and at which stages they are best to mess with.Should start finishing them to use before long.Thank you for sharing though :)
I appreciate the information and the photos, and all of the other replies to your thread. I hope you get to have a close encounter with Old Tom, @armedoldhippy

armedoldhippy

Veteran
looks like my turkey season may already be over. :cry: got a family fiasco brewing in western KY that is gonna force me to go there, then to Louisiana and stay for possibly 2 or 3 weeks. by then, it's gonna be too hot for my old ass to be climbing ridges chasing turkeys... the state pushed the season back two weeks this year, and the latter part of the season was too damn hot even before they changed it ! :toohot:

hfm

looks like my turkey season may already be over. :cry: got a family fiasco brewing in western KY that is gonna force me to go there, then to Louisiana and stay for possibly 2 or 3 weeks. by then, it's gonna be too hot for my old ass to be climbing ridges chasing turkeys... the state pushed the season back two weeks this year, and the latter part of the season was too damn hot even before they changed it ! :toohot:
Oh no!Thats a bummer man!We had issues here also.My dang neighbors have a bait station with an electric call.Spent hours calling this hen an tom up the valley,20' from the fence to me they stopped and started looking back at a corner theyd been flocking to off and on,then off they ran and i figured they seen me or scented me.The next day went and looked at what they ran over there for :(...At least they didnt know I was there..Heres another one I started on the other day
1000018764.jpg
1000018763.jpg

Timj

Nice looking bow. Mine doesn't look anything like that. But, mine is a flat bow. It's also my first time making one, so I'm sure it will be a learning experience if nothing else. It should be dry enough to start the tillering process in about a week.

hfm

Nice looking bow. Mine doesn't look anything like that. But, mine is a flat bow. It's also my first time making one, so I'm sure it will be a learning experience if nothing else. It should be dry enough to start the tillering process in about a week.
Thank you!Thats rad!I'm excited to see your work :)
The thing Ive learned most about tillering is always take less then you think and check your progress often.Card scrapers were the best to take small amounts,for me. ;)