What's new

Any beekepers out there?

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi there! as a secondary hobby I'm practising beekeeping.
Any other ones?
Bee loves cannabis pollen...
So humans....

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
LOL, My buddies up in the mountains are suffering from Bees ! a Rogue Beekeeper [ I am not joking...] is stacking way too many hives in places around there, near peoples houses and they are causing trouble. The local beekeepers are up in arms about he new guy and his pushy practices, it is the main gossip going on around there, the goats providing the rest.....

The Zamal and friends in my 09 gallery were almost impossible to approach due to Bees drinking from the Coco at the base of their pots, 100s drinking at a time made looking after the plants tricky and risky. Another buddy has done a deal with one of the cool bee-keepers to allow some Hives on his finca in return for some of his own once he has learnt what to do, so I may well be having a play soon myself and may have to use the kit round at Mr Zamal's place too.

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bees are a so complex animal...
Drinking bees... if the area si very dry, they look for water anywhere, probably your pots were the only source around (think that honey is made of water by 20% and a lot of water is needed to fly and to keep temps down in the hive during summer...)
Dont be afraid of them if it happens again, thirsty bees only care of water, they won't bother you or your friends, human or vegetable....

Usually bees don't care about houses too. They definitely prefer woods, trees an fields...
Maybe that beekeepers is not so experienced to make bees live well.
They get nervous if they're sick or live in dirty old hives.
Maybe some good advices may let cool down and cohabit well.
Maybe he's using some nasty cross (domestic bee x wild bees) that enhances aggressivity.
Go and learn from beekepers, usually they're very friendly. Good luck.
Dr Penthotal

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Fascinating stuff dr.penthotal, yes I know they are complex, but none of what you said, and I guess that is just the tip of the iceberg... I will pass on the information to my friends. 2 of them are very friendly with the local beekeepers which is how we hear the beekeepers gossip about the rogue !

If you get the impression not a lot goes on up in the mountains round here you would be entirely right :)

Latest posts

Latest posts