What's new

Any Amateur Astronomers here?

ozman

Well I guess my other hobby is astronomy.I didnt see any others in here so thought I would start a thread and see where it goes.
I started a long time ago with binos,I got my first scope 3 months ago,seeing the planets in our solar system is really awe inspiring,the first site of saturn and some of its moons was awseome,theye were just hanging there in space floating
I currently have a 10 inch scope from orion,its a reflector on a dobsonian mount.Ive looked at the moon so much I almost feel like I live there,lol.
There is a lot to learn in astronomy,the planets,the constellations,stars,well you get the picture.
I want to start a amatuer astronomy club here where I live.
So if there is any other astronomers here shout out,remember astronomy is always looking up.

:smoweed:

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
always been a interest of mine. Got a small telescope but i would really like to spend 15k and get a REAL telescope one day.

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
always been a interest of mine. Got a small telescope but i would really like to spend 15k and get a REAL telescope one day.

I would encouraged you to build your own. If you are even slightly handy with common hand tools, it can be done at a fraction of the cost of buying off the shelf. You can get bigger, and can customize to suit your needs.
This is my attempt at a Dobs mount. My wife bought me a 4.7" f8.3 newtonian on a crappy department store tripod. It glides smooth as butter on those white teflon pads :) I didn't spend more than $30 to make the mount.

I'm in the process of building a 10" f6.56 dobs. My design flaw wont be repeated LOL

Last edited:
Saw Venus on Saturday during the daytime at 14:20 and managed to take this pic later that night. (little white dot under the moon)

picture.php

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I'm into astronomy too! Watching Jupiter this month has been nice. Venus should be real pretty in the early early this month.
@vinter-building your own telescope is awesome! I'd really like to do that.

ozman

There is a program called stellarium it is a free program.install it it is a great prog for learning the sky.I've been using for a year now it has helped me to learn constellations and to understand what I see when I look up.I just looked up when I let my dogs out I noticed orion right off the bat.
Keep looking up

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good thread. My favorite thing to view is view the center of the milky way galaxy with bare eyes on a moonless country night.

Latest posts

Latest posts