What's new

Anti's MicroStealth Cab Design (Dr. Bud Method)

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
1-24-11 ***UPDATE WITH PICS***

1-24-11 ***UPDATE WITH PICS***

I don't often show pics inside the cab anymore... figure it's just better for people to wonder than to know, I guess. Safer maybe.

But I wanted to share this with you.

I've been growing for awhile now in these MT2510 "TreePots" and I for the longest time have been using ones that are cut down to hold about 18oz of water. (Doc Bud used 20oz soda bottles with the tops cut off...18oz is approximating that.)

I had a few extra treepots from my original order that i did not cut down and I've been experimenting with them for a couple of cycles now... wanted to share some results.

The plants in the pictures are all in the same soil (peat/sphagnum/perlite) and get the same nutes (floranova bloom) at the same time in the same way and they are getting the same lights and etc. (Everything is as controlled as I am able on my somewhat hectic schedule.)

Anyway... plants in the full sized containers (about 36-38oz if I remember right) are .... well, I'll let you see for yourself.

Included in the following pics is the AK47 MOM in the original round's 32oz half & half containers. She's a first gen clone of the original AK47 from round one. The other two plants are her clones.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The bigger plant was flowered when it was 2" tall. The smaller plant was flowered when it was 3" tall. The smaller plant is exactly 7 days younger than the first. But as you can see, the slightly larger, significantly deeper container has a significantly fatter cola.

I'm going to continue experimenting with different containers while I prepare for my next adventure. I'll share anything I find and I will help anyway I can.

Thanks for taking this ride with me!

Voidling

Wow, bet your kicking yourself for ever cutting them down in the first place huh? I would be. It looks good. I've got to get some of those pots soon.

Skunkfish

The stuewe website that sells the MT2510 tree pots says the pots are 2.5x2.5x10 & 52 cu in (~29 fl oz). Is this what you have been using?

In the above picture with the fullsize pot, how far above the top of the pot does the plantlet extend? Did it reach the glass barrier of the light?

Are you seeing any decrease in bud density/maturity at the bottom of the plantlet, right above the soil/pot lip?

...I'm just curious as to how far those CFLs are penetrating.

Thanks

SmokinErb

Sweet, man. I just got all caught up on your thread. Been considering doing a perpetual SOG myself, and what do you know - I been looking at the same treepots. I was considering the MT38's, but I became somewhat concerned with overcrowding issues, and I think I'm opting for the MT46, and running 9 plants per sqft rather than 16.

CMH will be the lighting (It's been decided!) for flower. I figure that extra elbow room would be of an added benefit with HID as opposed to CFL's, My question is, would you do the same thing I'm doing - choosing larger pots and slightly fewer plants for more intense lighting? I understand the purpose of the 16-plants-per-sqft is for growing main colas only with CFL's as they cannot penetrate well.

I'm guessing with that little extra space and HID lighting, I'd be able to grow some 18" baseball bats. I'll be growing some Sativa-dom strains out for this purpose - Mandala's Krystalica and Satori which have similar growth traits to AK47, I believe.

Basically, I know you mentioned switching to HID lighting, my question is, based on your experience, would you opt for bigger pots and fewer plants like the MT46? Or would you stick it out with 16 plants per sqft with something like the MT38?

SmokinErb

The stuewe website that sells the MT2510 tree pots says the pots are 2.5x2.5x10 & 52 cu in (~29 fl oz). Is this what you have been using?

In the above picture with the fullsize pot, how far above the top of the pot does the plantlet extend? Did it reach the glass barrier of the light?

Are you seeing any decrease in bud density/maturity at the bottom of the plantlet, right above the soil/pot lip?

...I'm just curious as to how far those CFLs are penetrating.

Thanks

I can't answer for the plant size, but he's using the MT2510's. Venturing a guess, from the size of the pot, I'd assume the plant was around 14 inches.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I can't answer for the plant size, but he's using the MT2510's. Venturing a guess, from the size of the pot, I'd assume the plant was around 14 inches.

That s about spot on. If you notice, its bent over slightly. This is because it grew into the glass and I had to tie it down. Glass is about 23 inches off floor of chamber. When I was using soil, I could veg six inches or more without hitting the glass. In light mix, these plants are hitting glass when I flower at two inches.pretty awesome.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
what is the light mix composed of? is it just a lot more aeration?

Afaik, light mix is pro mix without any ferts. I wanted to have total control over feeding, so I went with light mix. I believe it is sphagnum and peat with perlite. I also add chunky perlite at about a thirty percent ratio.

Skunkfish

Are you seeing increased yields per plantlet from the light mix or just faster growth/finishing time?

Are you still using the same liquid nutrients & schedule?

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Feeding schedule and harvest date remain unchanged.

(Feeding every other day, 1.5-2 tsp per gallon. So in 4 gallons of water I might alternate between 6-8 tsp of FNB.)

(Clearex Flush beginning 10 days before harvest.)

(Harvesting at 65 days of 12/12 +/- a few days, on an individual basis. Still experimenting to find the perfect harvest time.)

Changes:

Increased container volume by +13ozor so. Mostly in height. Not in length, width. (I believe this may influence budsicle development, based on limited personal convo with DocBud.)

Switched to Light Mix/Perlite from Perlite/Soil/Lime/Earthworm Castings)

Switched to FloraNova Bloom

Still not PHing anything.

Results:

Substantially bigger, fatter, longer, denser bud.

I just got back from being out of town for several days, had my recent harvest drying in the meantime, I'll take some shots of dried stuff tonight and let you guys see the difference for yourself.

I did switch to flora nova when I was using up the last of my old soil mix, so I don't believe that the change is mostly the nutes, but it is a very unscientific comparison. There have not been any controlled experiments done.

But the results.... substantial increase in yield per plant. Broke my effing scale but I would not bat an eyelash if these things are 14g or more EACH. (Instead of my previous best of 9g, from seed.)

Some plants were grown in the old size containers as a comparison. They have a slight increase in density but similar yield (as far as I know without a damn scale!) But the bigger plants are definitely bigger. Leads me to believe that it's the added medium that is making the biggest difference.

I think having a tall but thin container is influencing the plant to concentrate fully on the main cola (almost no popcorn or larf in these harvests, nearly no lateral branching except for a few buds near the bottom which stretched out slightly looking for light.

Way too early for me to say anything for sure, though.

Just sharing my experiences as I have them.

Last edited:

Skunkfish

Thanks for all the info...very thorough!

Also, when you chop these plants, are they excessively root-bound? Or are these long narrow containers encouraging the plant to grow more feeder roots, throughout the whole depth?

I'm very intrigued by perpetual SOGs; they are perfect for the recreational user with fluorescents or leds.

I know it would be helpful to first-timers, like myself, if everything was consolidated on the first page instead of spread over 32 pages. I guess that's how forums go, though.

zbenjii

Thanks for all the info...very thorough!

I'm very intrigued by perpetual SOGs; they are perfect for the recreational user with fluorescents or leds.

I know it would be helpful to first-timers, like myself, if everything was consolidated on the first page instead of spread over 32 pages. I guess that's how forums go, though.

if you want to see alot of pages, read Dr. Bud's original threads

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran

One day, if I find the time, I may condense a lot of stuff into the first post. But if you take the time to read through the thread, a lot of beginners questions are encountered and answered from multiple perspectives. Therefore, much like Cliffs-Notes vs. actually reading the book, there is more to be offered (including mistakes to be avoided) by careful reading of the entire body of the thread.)

If you are looking for the 'abridged' version youc an click on the first post, go to my user icon and select "filter posts by this user". This will show you ONLY my own posts in this thread from beginning to end. This may give you the info in a more concise fashion, if you are so inclined!

Thanks for reading.

I have already updated the 1st post a few times, but this has not been done in the last year or so. I will try to get to it again as time permits.

zbenjii

Maybe what is happening is there are less secondary root formations which translates to more primary growth. So as a plant grows, it's stem and roots simultaneously grow. I wonder if forcing the plant to focus more on the primary roots will create less lateral branching.

For anyone that is trying to find the Mini-treepots, the link is below

http://www.stuewe.com/products/minitreepots.php

660 pots for 108 bucks. Probably come out to like 130 with tax and shipping.

tozxiz

Hi Anti,

This thread is fantastic, so much useful info here. I'm interested in building a system very, very similar to yours, but my problem is I am not going to be able to water my plants every day as I pretty much will only have access on weekends. I was wondering if you had any ideas on how I could modify your design so that this wouldn't be a problem. Some kind of automatic watering solution? Or am I just not going to be able to do this type of perpetual sog grow? I dont mean to hi-jack the thread or anything but I figured this question might help someone else out too. Thanks again, this thread is already helping me a lot in figuring out how to get started

zbenjii

Hi Anti,

This thread is fantastic, so much useful info here. I'm interested in building a system very, very similar to yours, but my problem is I am not going to be able to water my plants every day as I pretty much will only have access on weekends. I was wondering if you had any ideas on how I could modify your design so that this wouldn't be a problem. Some kind of automatic watering solution? Or am I just not going to be able to do this type of perpetual sog grow? I dont mean to hi-jack the thread or anything but I figured this question might help someone else out too. Thanks again, this thread is already helping me a lot in figuring out how to get started

i think your question is the most pertinent to this style of sea of green or any sea of green for that matter. This method can be infinitely more productive if you can water the plants once or twice a week and get the same results.

Latest posts

Latest posts