What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anti Anxiety & Anti Depression Strains?

Tommy G

:|Sweet Seeds®|:
Vendor
Veteran
215Z said:
If, like me, your anxiety is a result of your depression, a clean straight sativa will keep you functional and social, and with a positive disposition such that anxiety does not later arise.

If your anxiety is independant of your depression, then I think you should be looking at calming and relaxing indicas. For me, indicas make me very calm but do nothing to help my depression.

Just by reading your first paragraph I was starting to get scared, but after reading the whole post (including what I'm quoting from you), I'm much more relaxed now, hehehe. I'm really glad to read your explanation since I'm not sure if my anxiety comes from depression or from something else, but I know that I can deal with Indicas much better than with Sativas, so it is a very good clue to confirm that I'm not depressed and that my anxiety comes from something else. Anyway I'm still not even shure if it is anxiety... I don't feel the hart racing and sweating hands as most of people usually claim to feel, mine is like loosing consciousness and getting nervous from feeling like that.

I'm going to keep with Indicas...

chimei

Psychotropic said:
Just by reading your first paragraph I was starting to get scared, but after reading the whole post (including what I'm quoting from you), I'm much more relaxed now, hehehe. I'm really glad to read your explanation since I'm not sure if my anxiety comes from depression or from something else, but I know that I can deal with Indicas much better than with Sativas, so it is a very good clue to confirm that I'm not depressed and that my anxiety comes from something else. Anyway I'm still not even shure if it is anxiety... I don't feel the hart racing and sweating hands as most of people usually claim to feel, mine is like loosing consciousness and getting nervous from feeling like that.

I'm going to keep with Indicas...

Like the other poster said if you anxiety comes from depression I guess it could be hit or miss treating your symptoms with marijuana.

If you suffer from just plain anxiety, you don't necessarily have to have a "panic attack" most people that have anxiety have their bodies go into "Fight or Flight" mode. Usually in men the scrotum or balls will pull up very close to your body, your glands will start to release adrenaline which will make the heart race, person sweat etc.. But that is not everyones response to "Fight or Flight" mode. You might be fealing the loosing consciousness because your blood preasure is rising. I bet it still is because that switch whatever controls it in your body is getting switched on.

That is usually why a couchlock over done plant can have such a positive impact on those that suffer from strictly anxiety. (Or a body that is more apt to go into fight or flight mode) The narcotic effect of the pot basically mellows the body out like a benzo or something and the person is less likely to have something trigger that effect. But a pure sativa is more likely to totally make a person go into that fight or flight mode if they are sensitive to it.

Another thing that can trigger anxiety is adrenaline, anyone that gets racy after a dentist vist that involves numbing with a shot is due to the epinephrine in the novacain or lydocaine or whatever is used these days. If you are one of those then you probably would really benefit from a overdone indica.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
chimei said:
Like the other poster said if you anxiety comes from depression I guess it could be hit or miss treating your symptoms with marijuana.

If you suffer from just plain anxiety, you don't necessarily have to have a "panic attack" most people that have anxiety have their bodies go into "Fight or Flight" mode. Usually in men the scrotum or balls will pull up very close to your body, your glands will start to release adrenaline which will make the heart race, person sweat etc.. But that is not everyones response to "Fight or Flight" mode. You might be fealing the loosing consciousness because your blood preasure is rising. I bet it still is because that switch whatever controls it in your body is getting switched on.

That is usually why a couchlock over done plant can have such a positive impact on those that suffer from strictly anxiety. (Or a body that is more apt to go into fight or flight mode) The narcotic effect of the pot basically mellows the body out like a benzo or something and the person is less likely to have something trigger that effect. But a pure sativa is more likely to totally make a person go into that fight or flight mode if they are sensitive to it.

Another thing that can trigger anxiety is adrenaline, anyone that gets racy after a dentist vist that involves numbing with a shot is due to the epinephrine in the novacain or lydocaine or whatever is used these days. If you are one of those then you probably would really benefit from a overdone indica.

Very informative post as I am too sensitive for anxiety and nervousness. Too much bodystone can trigger anxiety too. Your cheast might start feeling a little heavy thus making breathing heavier which is not good since fresh air is what you're longing for at this point.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Flo produces an extremely positive and motivational outlook, without any of what you might call the 'anxiety' symptoms produced by some strong sativas. Closest I've come to a 'designer drug' in cannabis - very specific indeed.

muddy waters

Elevator Man I'm just curious if you find the Goldfinger phenos you've selected to share the Flo's effects and characteristics...

Tommy G

:|Sweet Seeds®|:
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks chimei!

Although you don't know me, every information on this subject is precious to me. As I said I feel nothing like pressure on my chest, nor hands sweating or hart racing fast. It's all in my brain, strange feelings up there like I'm starting to loose consciousness or going crazy and then is the fear induced by those thoughts that gets me nervous and anxious. It only happened twice, in the beggining, now I can control it much better by smoking less and avoiding Sativas. Anyway, sometimes I get 1 or 2 weeks off when I don't smoke anything and the feeling is always there, there's always a bit of nervousism in me since it first happened 3 months ago, specially after waking up in the morning. Well, I still hope it will all go away soon and that I can come back to be normal again as I've always been...

The conclusions I'm getting support almost everything you said in this quote:

chimei said:
But that is not everyones response to "Fight or Flight" mode. You might be fealing the loosing consciousness because your blood preasure is rising. I bet it still is because that switch whatever controls it in your body is getting switched on.

If you are one of those then you probably would really benefit from a overdone indica.
I'm doing better with Indicas than with Sativas, but I can only get a pure overdone Indica in a couple of months after I harvest my plants that are in the 25th day of flowering.

I hope the user who started the thread can benefit as well from our posts, or else I apologize for invading it.

Thanks again!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Elevator Man I'm just curious if you find the Goldfinger phenos you've selected to share the Flo's effects and characteristics...
Muddy - so far, yes, although the Malawi adds a little more 'dreaminess' to the mix, but overall I found them to be very pleasant - not too aggressively stimulating, but a smooth climb.

The pheno I'm currently flowering has only been tested once outdoors, and it didn't really show it's full potential due to the shitty summer and cold finish - it looks way better under lights, with far better bud development. The smell is truly delightful, and if I can get enough seeds from the small amount of pollen I had, it would make a good F2 donor.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I think the best cure for depression or anxiety would be change of lifestyle/scenery. I feal anxiety when I feal like Ive wasted time or not accomplished anything, almost like everyone is watching me and knows I didn't do shit. Many depression/anxiety cases are result of low self esteem. By doing posative things in your life and looking at things more as learning experiences, setting goals and sticking to them, and not letting YOU bring yourself down, you will raise your self esteem and inturn your condition should subside. Some people do have abnormal chemical levels in there brains, but for the most part these things are all in your thoughts. Its all what YOu make it.

G

Godless

jolene said:
Even though I smoke weed and enjoy it, I wouldn't recommend it to redress a complex biochemical imbalance such as depression, I think it is best addressed using lots of exercise, good diet, self esteem boosting activities (go out and do some good deeds or some charitable work with other depression sufferers for example) and if that fails get some actual help from a qualified psychiatric practitioner - 'coz you really don't want to **** around if you are clinically depressed and I think you are kidding yourself if you think you can smoke yourself better. But I would love to be proved wrong.

IMHO, chemical imbalances in the brain are caused by depression, not the other way around. Psychiatrists are pill pushers and I would avoid them like the plague.

I have a long history of depression and have tried many things over the years to address the problem. Personally, I think that a lot of the solution depends on the situational causes of your depression (in other words, everyone is different). For me, the best solution has proved to be regular exercise. I used to have a really hard time motivating myself to exercise when depressed, then I re-discovered getting high. Here is how it plays out for me:

"Waah, it's too cold outside to go on a mountain bike ride and I have a little headache from staring at a computer monitor all day"
puff puff (two nice bong hits of Sativa-dom green)
"bring it on! This is gonna be an awesome adventure. I hope it fucking rains"
"They come from the land of the ice and snow..." (me singing the immigrant song at the top of my lungs as I blast through the forest with sleet stinging my face)

Cannabis is a tool. If you always laze around in front of the TV when you are high, you will reinforce that behavior - which can contribute to depression. When I get high, I have an uncontrollable urge to get outside and do something because I have reinforced that behavior.

In the 10 years since I started smoking pot, I have managed to accomplish some pretty awesome things in my life. Could I have done it without pot? Maybe, but the ride surely wouldn't have been as much fun as it has... :headbange

supahdupah

Thanx for all the good info!.

I realy want to try out burmese and hashberry for my anxiousny problems.

i´ve noticed that some purple phenos of haze varieties of is good medicine for this purpuse.

If, like me, your anxiety is a result of your depression, a clean straight sativa will keep you functional and social, and with a positive disposition such that anxiety does not later arise.

full ack. my strawberry cough helps me a lot. all the tension gone, no depressed mood. even quit smoking tobacco.

lemonskunk420

ICMag Donor
I found that even mostly sativa satori did the trick for me and I have bipolar.its not racey, more up lifting in high.