What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another Drug Raid Nightmare

tnt_blaster

He's still charged with manufacturing ? since when do gardening supplies.. not even lights.. make you guilty of growing?

There are MANY cases like this. I saw one recently a girl shot a cop in almost the exact same circumstances. Granted her bf was wanted on drug charges, but they busted in in the middle of the night. First detective thru the door got shot. It's a shame, but when you BREAK INTO people's homes in the middle of the night/morning what do you expect? Bushy eyed brightail cooperation? Fuck no.

sweetsmell

Breaking News: Jury finds Frederick guilty of voluntary manslaughter

03:07 PM EST on Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Reported by: Patrick Terpstra
CHESAPEAKE – The jury has found Ryan Frederick guilty of voluntary manslaughter in the death of Chesapeake Detective Jarrod Shivers.

Witnesses were being called for the sentencing phase of the case. The jury will hear that testimony and make a recommendation.

Defense attorney James Broccoletti called the verdict "a fair and rational decision.”

The jury also convicted Frederick of simple possession of marijuana and found him not guilty on use of a firearm charges.

The defense said that, with no criminal history, they expect Frederick to be sentenced to between one and 10 years on the voluntary manslaughter charge and a maximum of 30 days on the marijuana possession.

There was total silence in the courtroom when the verdict was read and Shivers' wife had no reaction, but officers were visibly upset.

Video: Frederick jury deliberations in second day
Larger screen E-mail this clip

After a day and a half of deliberations and reviewing much of the evidence presented in the two-week trial, the jury came back at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday saying they'd reached a verdict.

The 29-year-old was charged with capital murder in the death of Det. Shivers during an operation at his Redstart Avenue home in January 2008.

Shivers and other officers were at the home to search for a marijuana grow operation they were told about by an informant.

The jury also had the option of finding Frederick guilty of capital murder, first or second degree murder or manslaughter.

The special prosector fought for a capital murder conviction, which carries an automatic life sentence.

STAY WITH 13NEWS AND WVEC.com FOR MORE DETAILS.

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
Virginian Pilot

Convicted of manslaughter and simple possesion!!!!!

Prosecutors ask for maximum sentence for Frederick

The Virginian-Pilot
© February 4, 2009

CHESAPEAKE

Prosecutors this afternoon asked a jury in the Ryan Frederick trial to sentence him to the maximum 10 years in prison for the shooting death of Detective Jarrod Shivers

The jury deliberated over two days before convicting Frederick of voluntary manslaughter and finding him not guilty of more serious homicide offenses, including capital murder.

After the verdict, Shivers’ father and sister in tearful testimony during the sentencing phase described what the last year has been like.

James R. Shivers of Downingtown, Pa., recalled how his son insisted that four generations of the family pose for a photo that was taken less than two months before the January 2008 killing.

“No parent should ever have to bury a child. It’s just not right,” he said.

Jennifer Shivers of Oakland, Calif., said Shivers’ young son often runs to the front door wondering when his dad is coming home and his oldest daughter still has nightmares of her dad trapped in a box.

Special Prosecutor Paul Ebert asked the jury to give the family proper closure and send a message to deter anyone else from firing blindly through a door.

“Sheer retribution,” he said is what’s needed.

“But for his illegal activity, Jarrod Shivers would be here today,” Ebert told the jury while pointing at Frederick.

The jury also convicted Frederick of simple marijuana possession, which carries a penalty of up to 30 days in jail and a fine. The jury acquitted him of a more serious manufacturing and distribution charge.

As the verdict was read about 3 p.m., Frederick showed no emotion. Members of the Shivers family ran out of the courtroom in tears.

SomeGuy

I dunno, I was expecting an acquittal given prosecutions crappy evidence. I guess there's always the chance at an appeal!

Talked to a young lawyer about it that is slightly familiar with the case through the news and he thought it was pretty damn good and was giving defense attorney, Brocolleti props.
He admitted that he wouldn't want the case, but would have been extremely pleased to get that verdict under the circumstances.

Seems the cops family is VERY unhappy about it along with Ebert.
I really hope the judge who appeared very fair throughout ignores the request for the max sentence, gives him whats right and ACCOUNTS FOR TIME SERVED so he'll parole pretty quick.

Wonder if he'll move back to Chesapeake???

~fvk~

the Lion is going Guerrilla...
So the Eggbert guy is saying Shivers would have to stand before the judge himself if he were alive? Good, romanticizing the dead never helped anyone cope. A glass half full is still a half glass full... Even if it makes you thirstier, shit... He'll probably get out in 5-6 on good time. Best of luck to him.

Thanks for keeping us all updated SomeGuy. I'm sure this has hit home for a lot of us...

N707

In my opinion that is awesome. I'm glad he got those haneous charges reduced. The best way it was put was that had the tables been turned the cop would have walked away with nothing but a grievance....it's BS.
A buddy of mine was following some friends in a car, both of them were driving suped up integras. My buddy infront took off (was showboating) crashed, and died, another friend was hospitalised and is now a total vegetable, another girl I knew broke her femur and bled out...almost died afew times. I was in the car following them, my buddy driving got charged with all kinds of crazy crap. A special prosecution team was assembled by the county and pushing for alot of prison time for him. He ended up spending over 7 months in Jail..........the people in the car that crashed grew up with me, my buddy, and others involved. We literally knew eachother since we were 7 or 8 and were all good freinds. So not only did he have to deal with the emotional pain of losing two liflong friends, but he also had his record screwed for life, was put into unsurmountable debt, and served time.

He committed suicide last year, noting it was due to the stress and problems stemming from the court stuff and debt.

This was directly the fault of our justice system outside of him being irrational and overwhelmed imo.
I miss him, and my other friends alot, I seriously think about my buddy daily.

I devulged this to give a sense of what our court systmes are about. They support the obsessive prosecutors and LEO that are bent on controlling the situation and getting what they want, not what is "Just". Seriously I sometimes wonder how they can sleep at night after ruining so many peoples lives over things they have payed for many times over in horrible emotional trauma.

I really hope this guy can move on with his life and get this mess straightened out. I totally feel for him, that is a shitty situation that actually seems to of come out somewhat olay. Not in anypart thanks to the people who are supposed to keep criminals in check, but rather the jury. My vibes go out to this guy, I'm glad he managed to get the nasty charges reduced.

Last edited:
Thanks to SomeGuy for keeping this thread alive and updated! I think it's pretty sweet if he gets the minimum sentence and credit for time served. The GESTAPO tactics need to STOP! Thats some change that needs to happen!

SomeGuy

Virginian Pilot

Jury calls for 10 years for Frederick in officer's slaying

The Virginian-Pilot
© February 4, 2009

CHESAPEAKE

A Chesapeake jury called for a maximum sentence of 10 years for Ryan Frederick, convicted earlier today of voluntary manslaughter the 2008 slaying of Detective Jarrod Shivers during a drug raid.

Prosecutors this afternoon had asked a jury in the Ryan Frederick trial to sentence him to the maximum 10 years in prison.

The jury deliberated over two days before convicting Frederick of voluntary manslaughter and finding him not guilty of more serious homicide offenses, including capital murder.

After the verdict, Shivers’ father and sister in tearful testimony during the sentencing phase described what the last year has been like.

James R. Shivers of Downingtown, Pa., recalled how his son insisted that four generations of the family pose for a photo that was taken less than two months before the January 2008 killing.

“No parent should ever have to bury a child. It’s just not right,” he said.

Jennifer Shivers of Oakland, Calif., said Shivers’ young son often runs to the front door wondering when his dad is coming home and his oldest daughter still has nightmares of her dad trapped in a box.

Special prosecutor Paul Ebert asked the jury to give the family proper closure and send a message to deter anyone else from firing blindly through a door.

“Sheer retribution,” he said, is what’s needed.

“But for his illegal activity, Jarrod Shivers would be here today,” Ebert told the jury while pointing at Frederick.

The jury also convicted Frederick of simple marijuana possession, which carries a penalty of up to 30 days in jail and a fine. The jury acquitted him of a more serious manufacturing and distribution charge.

“Their verdict today has jeopardized the lives of police officers,” said Jack Crimmins, president of the Chesapeake Coalition of Police. “I think the jury failed. They failed the community. You’ve got a man involved in an illegal enterprise, the police come to his house and he takes the matter into his own hands.”

He said the jury may have bought into the belief that it could have been the police at their door. “My question to them is how many are growing marijuana,” Crimmins said.

“The credibility of the police was brought into question. The people that day were professional,” he said, even after seeing their colleague shot to death in front of them. “With minimal amount of force, they took him into custody. They questioned him professionally.”

Crimmins last saw Shivers in the fall of 2007 at Bayside Harley-Davidson. The talked about riding.

“Closure?” Crimmins said. “There’s no closure.”

As the verdict was read about 3 p.m., Frederick showed no emotion. Members of the Shivers family ran out of the courtroom in tears.

SomeGuy

Thanks to SomeGuy for keeping this thread alive and updated! I think it's pretty sweet if he gets the minimum sentence and credit for time served. The GESTAPO tactics need to STOP! Thats some change that needs to happen!

Thank you for starting the thread!

Wish I could have posted above that he did get the minimum, but its still better than first degree. I've talked to another lawyer since and HE was impressed with the verdict and credited the jury. Wonder what he'll say when he hears they recommended the max sentence.

Plus the case AND the thread isn't closed yet, theres always a chance of an appeal.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Just another nail in the coffin. I guess the lesson is if you kill a cop, no matter how messed up the circumstances are, no matter how terrible the state's case is, no matter if you really didn't know it was a cop, and no matter if someone threatens your safety prior, you WILL be found guilty of something solely because it's a cop. No other reason.

And the police state moves another step forward. Godspeed Ryan. Watch out fer yur cornhole brother.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Sheriff John Brown always hated me,
For what, I don't know:
Every time I plant a seed,
He said kill it before it grows -
He said kill them before they grow.

---Bob Marley "I Shot the Sheriff"

I always wonder why there is greater value placed on a pigs life than on a civilians life. It's crazy. When you sign on to be a pig you should expect to get shot at and possibly killed. It goes with the territory. DUH! A man is losing a good 6 or 7 years of his life because the pigs fucked up! He should have emptied his clip through the door! There is no real justice in this country. SAD.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
This is complete bull****. Same thing is going on all around the country. I can't understand these cops/DA'S/and Judges, Corrections Officers(a misnomer if ever there was one). There's no need to be assholes and not admit when you're wrong. Instead they just try and bury everyone since they're afraid that if they admit they made a mistake people will take it as weakness. Their whole system is based on fear, threats, intimidation and a solid helping of physical and psychological attacks.

I try to be cool with everyone but there is a personal decision to make when it comes to defending your life. If someone breaks into your home, does not identify themselves, what do they expect to happen. The example of force is all they know. That is all they give. That is all they will get.

People will eventually grow tired of being abused by uneducated and ignorant beings. No matter who appoints them.

Jarrod Shivers should have questioned what he was being asked to do, but he didn't do that, because he was not taught that. That's why he's not here anymore.

If he was not a violent criminal before 7 1/2 years will teach him how to be one. Lots of time to plot on those who put him there. I would not want to incubate that sort of being.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think he has a very good chance at an appeal.

The trial judge may have made a mistake. Although Ryan was only indicted for capital murder, the judge gave the jury other options they could find him guilty of. In my opinion the judge could have swayed the jury by doing that by giving the impression he thought he could be guilty of these other charges. I don't think it was right he did that. He was never indicted for those lesser charges, nor did the Judge reduce the Capital charge prior to the trial.....

There is a higher value placed on their lives than the average person,yet when they break the law they seem to get off with less punishment also.Its really gross.And when they do actually get punished they sit on paid leave for years before they are punished. Justice for all.

SomeGuy

What we have here, basically, is a crock-o-shit. If they wanted to charge these snitching buttheads they'd find a way.

They BOTH ought to be charged as accessories if you asked me.

Virginian Pilot

Lawyer: Frederick informant can't be charged without report

CHESAPEAKE

Commonwealth's Attorney Nancy Parr said the police informant who burglarized the home of Ryan Frederick cannot be prosecuted until the victim reports the crime.

"As far as I'm aware, Mr. Frederick did not file a complaint," Parr said Wednesday.

Frederick, 29, was convicted this month of voluntary manslaughter in the death of Jarrod Shivers, a Chesapeake police detective shot Jan. 17, 2008, during a drug raid. Police executed the raid at Frederick's home based on tips Steven Wright had provided in return for money.

Police knew of the burglary at Frederick's home but have said they didn't know the culprit was their 20-year-old informant, who was looking for evidence of a marijuana-growing operation. Wright's actions, according to authorities, came to light months later.

Parr said a complaint has to be formally made with Chesapeake police. Chesapeake police said the burglary on Jan. 14, 2008, was never reported - even though Wright testified under oath that he did it.

"We have to have, basically, a victim who reports the crime, and Mr. Frederick has not made a formal report of the burglary," said Dorienne Boykin, a police spokeswoman.

Parr's office has not been involved in the prosecution of the Frederick case. After Shivers' death, she requested an outside prosecutor because her office had worked closely with Shivers and she wanted to avoid any perceived appearance of conflict or bias by her office. The burglars in Frederick's case are being prosecuted by Parr's office in other cases.

Wright testified during Frederick's trial that he and Renaldo Turnbull Jr., broke into Frederick's detached garage. Wright, a Great Bridge resident, said a city detective told him to go to Frederick's house a few days before the drug raid.

"He asked me to go and make sure there are marijuana plants still at his house," Wright testified. He insisted police never instructed him to break in. He admitted to breaking a contract with police by burglarizing the garage. He said he stole about five plants.

Frederick is being held in the Chesapeake Correctional Center while awaiting sentencing in May. Turnbull also is being held in Chesapeake, awaiting sentencing in March for an unrelated burglary and probation violation.

Wright is free on bond while awaiting trial in April on charges of credit card theft and fraud and felony failure to appear.

Botanist

i will take my chance at sounding like a conspiracy nut and tell you that this is what the cops want. You will see SWAT used more and more to condition the people into thinking it is common place. Cops are already dressed to kill. Next time one of you gets pulled over look at how they are dressed. If they had on cameo instead of blue or black they would look just like a fucking soldier. The founders warned us of this. Once they have people thinking this is ok then the BS laws will come poring down on us like hellfire. Want to go grab a pack of smokes? Did you file the appropriate paper work with the community watch (GESTAPO) to leave the neighborhood? :mad:

SomeGuy

Next time one of you gets pulled over look at how they are dressed. If they had on cameo instead of blue or black they would look just like a fucking soldier. The founders warned us of this. Once they have people thinking this is ok then the BS laws will come poring down on us like hellfire.

Sheriffs deputies around my neck of the woods do where camo uniforms. Started when meth became a big problem for them so they can sneak around and do lab raids. They even have velcro'd badge covers, Kevlar helmets and vests and matte black finish on their weapons.

If they've weren't driving around in 4 door Dodges you'd swear they were military.

Latest posts

Latest posts