What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another Drug Raid Nightmare

C

CheifnBud2

The war on drugs is just far to profitable for organized crime or the police/government to give up on. The only way for 'heads to outdo it is just to grow your own, and enough so that you can give it away to your friends for just enough cost to cover your grow expenses. That way the only people who would be contributing to this war on drugs would be hard drug users/suppliers.

Kinda like marcemery saying "overgrow the govt." its quite possible and not that risky once alot of people go along with it. The govt is just so pissed off because they cant tax bud, or regulate it. All they can do to profit from it is fight it, keep the costs high, and hope they keep finding cash at each bust.

I

IwannagethighOG

I found a recent update about this.

http://www.wtkr.com/Global/story.asp?s=8338638

So who is the informant who set off this tragic chain of events?
His good buddy steven it would seem.

So now what some lying moron can just go walking into the police with some false tip and next thing you know you have cops smashing down your door at 2 am,stomping on your dogs and cats to death meanwhile trashing up all your belongings. Not right!

They seem more like the taliban than cops.

I blame the cops death on steven he's the one who should be charged for all this and also the judge who gave the ok for the raiding should be fired also.

Last edited:

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
IwannagethighOG said:
I found a recent update about this.

http://www.wtkr.com/Global/story.asp?s=8338638

So who is the informant who set off this tragic chain of events?
His good buddy steven it would seem.

So now what some lying moron can just go walking into the police with some false tip and next thing you know you have cops smashing down your door at 2 am,stomping on your dogs and cats to death meanwhile trashing up all your belongings. Not right!

They seem more like the taliban than cops.

I blame the cops death on steven he's the one who should be charged for all this and also the judge who gave the ok for the raiding should be fired also.

Hmm, and what about the judge/magistrate that authorized a night time, no knock warrant on a house with ONLY a CI tip as the probable cause? Whoever that judge/magistrate is should be outed in public and removed from the bench/job for gross negligence.

Last edited:

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
his friend steven snitched on him over a god damn speeding ticket and so the cops thought it was okay to start bustin doors down?? they do no surveillance or anything. this is fucked up.

welcome to 1984 folks. orwell wasn't lying!!!!

hardhat22

RudolfTheRed said:
... this is fucked up.
welcome to 1984 folks. orwell wasn't lying!!!!
Well said my friend.
IwannagethighOG said:
So now what some lying moron can just go walking into the police with some false tip and next thing you know you have cops smashing down your door at 2 am...
Why not? Look at Ruby Ridge and Waco.Look at Texas where they took 400+
children away from their families in april on the word of a young girl
on the phone,whom they haven't been able to produce as a witness.And myriad others....
Peace

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
hardhat22 said:
Well said my friend.

Why not? Look at Ruby Ridge and Waco.Look at Texas where they took 400+
children away from their families in april on the word of a young girl
on the phone,whom they haven't been able to produce as a witness.And myriad others....
Peace

Earlier, the Texas appeals court ruled the gov't way overstepped their bounds and ordered all the children returned. Good job for those judges, I think, but it's way past the point of no return. And that's the problem. The point of no return is crossed because there's no real consequences to the people that crossed it, except possibly death. If no death, then anything goes. I dont necessarily agree with what may have gone on at that compound but there are still restraints that the gov't/police must abide by.

green_tea

I think anybody in this thread who thinks the US is in a dictatorship state is smoking too much CRACK (or PCP if thats your flav!)

the world as we know it is becoming globalized, and at an alarming rate (this is my belief as to why we are in a big down turn)
IE the lasting effects of the dot com bust is still hitting our economy, and the fact that the world itself is becoming globalized also crushes our economy with cheap labor overseas, cheap IT, etc etc. (basically using emerging economies to lower US companies costs) once those markets begin to stabilize and the country itself, i think there will eventually be a globalized market and globalized salary type of deal etc. (everything has to hit an equalibrium eventually)

the US will never become a dictatorship, too many smart, intelligent people in power that would never let it get "Out of hand." Of course out of hand is relative to who you are talking to.

a bad warrent here or a bad arrest there, or a law we as a niche community believe is unjust is no way to judge our governments state. (sorry but the amount of people that really really truly want pot to be legal is slim compared to the overall population in the US. people that don't smoke should never be counted when they think it should be legal, as they really wouldn't use it as a key choice in choosing candidates)

I think anybody who is saying we are in a dictatorship is really spitting on the constitution. yeah currently its pretty bad, but we've been in much worse situations (Cold war?) You need to take everything in perspective. I have no doubt that given time, pot would become completely illegal, the time needed is just relative to new generations of people getting into power. That is the fundamental flaw with the constitution, change is always happening, but it is a slow process, because you cant have major changes happen instantly. Given 20 years, when all your pot smoking lawyer friends etc are judges or in other places of power, It would be passed in a heart beat. You can see this change already happening, IE california. (slowly but surly) (Why the fuck is my spell checking not working, no way surly is a word!)

The constitution is by far the best framwork for a government that has ever existed, and currently exists. but it still comes down to one thing, the people. just like guns, allowing the wrong people to be in government is not a good thing at all. (ideally you'd make it mandatory to vote in any election that relates to you, and technology will allow for a system like this EVENTUALLY and HOPEFULLY) of course you have to have allowances for certian people to not vote. (can mentally challanged people vote?)

If you think we are in a dictatorship, go live in a 3rd world country and see how well the government is over there.

martial law has ALWAYS been in the constitution (depending on how you interpret it)

You have to remember we have other checks to balance this out. If Bush said "I declare martial law on the entire US of A and we will be deploying checkstops and etc at every major highway blah blah becuase we believe there is an imminent terrorist attack" and he has this control for more than a few days without proof of the alleged attack, you KNOW DAMN WELL that the senate and house will immedialy impeach him, or just reverse the current law.

the problem is that we havn't had a single UNIFIED act of complete disregard to get enough people to go against with what the President is doing. Baby steps towards a dictatorship would work, but it will reach a point where everybody will just say no.

And hell, it's written we can overthrow the government if we feel its unjust as a nation, so buy your guns and get ready for the revolt in 20 years if you feel its necessary!

EDIT: wow posted way to much, i doubt its even logically ordered in coherent thoughts!

hardhat22

green_tea said:
EDIT: wow posted way to much, i doubt its even logically ordered in coherent thoughts!
Lol,funny post.And my use of the word dictator is a slight exageration.But we are skating toward the edge of a dictatorial government.Of course,martial law has always been in the books.But our government is structured with checks and balances in place to prevent any one branch of the government from getting too much power.And congress HAD the power to reverse the decision to declare martial law as unlawful if it so desired,the president never had the final say.That has changed with bush.His directive took that cushion away from us.Congress no longer has a say.So we no longer have a voice.

As far as globalization goes,can you say North American Union?Which has no bearing on Ryan Fredericks case.His case is an example of what bush and the global elitist crave.Total domination.Not just over U.S. citizens,but world citizens also.Martial law isn't in place yet,but the torture,wire tapping, temporary checkpoints and permanent ones are in place.Remember the old ww2 movies??"Let me see your papers!!"Ve haf vays of making you talk."
Peace
(Edit)Jefferson meant that we should install a new form of government once democracy proves to be oppressive to the people.No one ever thought this democracy would last because all previous attempts at democracy had all failed in other countries.The founders knew what would happen.Scary.

Last edited:

Daemon

Usually this kind of thing just makes me angry, but after reading this story and looking his myspace page over I am really, really sad. I can't believe they actually arrested him.....I just don't get it?

Also, this hits pretty close to home. When I still lived in MI we had a warrant served on us for manufacturing. Our home was way out in B.F.E. in Northern MI and we had many guns(all legal), around for hunting/protection. My first instinct was to grab my 12ga when I heard the door hit by a battering ram. Of course we did figure out what was going on very quickly but what if we didn't? This is so fucked up.....

Kind of reminds of something that happened in the same area we were raided, the area I grew up in(and learned how to grow in!!). I don't mind posting the story seeing as I don't live there anymore(I won't be too far away, though! :muahaha: ):

LINK: CLICK HERE

A Summary for those who don't want to use the link:

This happened in 2002 and keep in mind that while the newspapers make it sound like Mr. Shulick was a nut ball I am intimately involved with that area/the people and the situation as it really happened.

Basically, Barb and John Shulick were getting a divorce. They had always had a volatile relationship but there had never been any physical violence. Barb had a history of calling the cops(The sheriff in the county, George T. Lassater, knew and did not care for the Shulicks), when they got into arguments. So, they got into it and she wanted him out. He refused and went to bed. She called police and they silently entered the home, in the dark, not announcing themselves. When John heard them, he grabbed his shotgun(which he always slept with, hehe), and investigated. I know, for a fact, that no one on the police force said a word and there was a reason only Sheriff Lassater went upstairs - but that's neither here nor there. Either way, there was a struggle and Lasater was hit in the face with the butt of the gun. Once John realized who he hit/what was going on, he freaked out and ran away.

FROM THE LINK:
CHARLEVOIX - A Charlevoix County man who is in prison for ramming the barrel of a shotgun into the face of Charlevoix County Sheriff George T. Lasater in 2002 is seeking a new trial on the grounds that his ex-wife now claims that she was coerced to lie on the witness stand during the 2003 jury trial that led to his conviction.

John Joseph Shulick, now 47, filed the motion in Charlevoix County's 33rd Circuit Court in mid-April.

Shulick is serving consecutive terms of five to 10 years, two to four years and two years on convictions for assault with intent to cause great bodily harm less than murder, resisting and obstructing a police officer causing injury, and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, respectively. The Michigan Department of Corrections lists Shulick's earliest release date as Sept. 24, 2011 and a latest discharge date of Sept. 24, 2018.

The convictions stem from an incident that took place on Sept. 23, 2002 at Shulick's former home on Korthase Road in Charlevoix County's Wilson Township. At about 6:45 a.m. on that day, Lasater, along with three other deputies, went to Shulick's house in an attempt to serve him with papers ordering him to vacate the house. As Lasater attempted to serve the papers, Shulick struck Lasater in the mouth with the gun causing serious injuries to Lasater's mouth.

The background

At the trial Lasater testified that Shulick's ex-wife Barbara (through her attorney) had asked his office to serve the court order - which included authorization to forcibly remove her ex-husband if he refused to leave voluntarily.

In his testimony, Lasater said he and Barbara Shulick made the unusual paper service arrangements (which included written permission from Barbara to enter the house) because John had vigorously avoided service of court papers on several occasions in the past. The court order to vacate the premises followed the couple's divorce proceeding, in which Barbara Shulick was awarded possession of the house in exchange for a payment to her ex-husband for his interest in the home.

Barbara Shulick testified that she was eager to have her ex-husband out of the house because she wanted to regain custody of their then-14-year-old daughter who had been removed from the home by the Family Independence Agency amid allegations of abuse (on his part) and neglect (on her part) against the couple. Barbara Shulick testified that officials with FIA had told her that they would not allow her daughter to return to the home from foster care as long as her ex-husband was still living there. She said other attempts to get him out of the house, including presenting him with a check for his interest in the home had been ineffective.

The confrontation

Lasater testified that as he entered the home he asked Barbara Shulick “where is he?” and that Barbara pointed to the upstairs. Lasater said he ascended the stairs to second floor of the home where Shulick, dressed in camouflage, wearing a bandoleer of shotgun shells and brandishing a shotgun, met him at the top of the stairs. Lasater testified that he had a flashlight in his hand, but was not shining it in Shulick's face.

He said Shulick shouted, “Hold it right there or I'll blow your head off!”

Lasater testified that he told Shulick, “All I want to do is give you these papers.”

Moments later, according to testimony from undersheriff Don Schneider who said he was standing at the bottom of the stairway at the time, Shulick rammed the barrel of the gun into Lasater's mouth. The impact knocked Lasater down the stairs, knocked out several of his teeth and nearly severed his upper lip.

As the other deputies in the house attended to the sheriff, Shulick slipped out a back door. Dozens of officers from all over the area, including a SWAT-type team, surrounded the house and evacuated nearby homes for more than 30 hours believing that an armed Shulick was still holed-up inside. When officers finally entered the house the next day, they discovered that Shulick was not there. An hour or two later, a neighbor found Shulick hiding in his boat. The neighbor eventually convinced Shulick to turn himself in.

Another version

When John Shulick testified, he said he had fallen asleep in his bedroom on the morning of the incident when he was awakened to hear what “sounded like an army” in the house and saw “beams of light bouncing off the walls.” He said he didn't know what was going on or who was in his house but knew that it was people who were not supposed to be there. Shulick testified that he grabbed a shotgun and bandoleer of shells from under the bed and went to the top of the stairs. There, he said, he was met by somebody shining a flashlight in his eyes. He said he could not tell who it was and yelled “Drop it!” He said the person in front of him (Lasater) grabbed the barrel of the shotgun and there was a brief struggle. Moments later he heard somebody yelling “Officer down!” and that's when he fled the house. Shulick said he did not hear anyone say, “I just want to give you these papers.”

So, what's new?

This latest motion appears to be a last-ditch effort on Shulick's part to have his conviction overturned. The Michigan Court of Appeals has already upheld the conviction and the Michigan Supreme Court refused to hear the case.

In his “motion for relief from judgment,” Shulick writes that in January of this year he received a letter from his ex-wife in which she claims that she lied on the witness stand during the trial because of threats, promises and coercion to do so by several people including staff with the Family Independence Agency, her former attorney and attorneys with the Charlevoix County Prosecutor's office at that time.

The filing includes an affidavit (or sworn statement) made by Barbara Shulick in which she claims that then-Charlevoix County prosecutor Mary Beth Kur and then-assistant prosecutor Jennifer Deegan told her that if she didn't falsely testify against her ex-husband she would face repercussions. Among the allegedly threatened repercussions were that she would not have the neglect charges against her dropped, she would not regain custody of her daughter and that her name would not be taken off the FIA's central child abuse registry. The last item was important to Barbara because she was employed by the FIA and could not continue in that capacity if she was listed on the registry.

In her affidavit, Barbara Shulick says she lied on the witness stand during the trial when she testified that her ex-husband saw Lasater when he entered the house and then ran up the stairs. She claims Shulick was already upstairs when Lasater entered the house. She also said her testimony that she pointed out where her husband was to the sheriff was false.

Although the six-page affidavit discusses in detail how pressure was placed upon her to falsely testify, these were the only specific portions of her testimony that Barbara Shulick recanted in the filing.

In the document, Barbara Shulick also claims she lied when she told authorities that her ex-husband had said “there would be blood on the walls” if anyone tried to forcibly remove him from the house. She now says she made the statement because her attorney told her she needed to show the judge that John had made threatening statements.

Kur, who now is in a private practice in Petoskey, denied Shulick's allegations when contacted by the News-Review.

“In all the years that I've been an attorney, the only conversation I've ever had with any witness prior to his or her testimony in any proceeding was that I told them to listen carefully to the questions that they are asked and to answer with the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth in response to those questions. Barbara Shulick was no exception.”

Sorry, not trying to spam the thread or get off topic but it is related. This most recent event in Virginia is just another example of police doing whatever they want and covering their asses to get away with it. Not a dictatorship but definitely getting dangerously close to a police state.

Macster2

In light of all the information coming out about this,I don't think the DA will have any choice but to drop all charges against Fredericks.If not any descent defence attorney going to hand him his ass in court,then litigation is the next step.The cops and DA are probably looking for a way out of this and save face cuz they sure look like shit now.

GroBoy2000

Gotta say, this just reminds me that this is ANYONES ball game, its all a grey area, a street fight, rules dont really matter, if they suspect you, and come after you, you better have some legit shit, I hope everyone keeps an eye out all the time

J

jipedestran

I know that no one is going to like what I have to say here.....

The person that got raided did not deserve to be raided. Had no reason to believe that LEO would ever be coming to his door. He was armed, as United States Citizens have the right to be.

Lesson for us, as growers? The Gestapo is here, they don't give a shit about you and your drugs. You shoot them? Just hope you live.

No Grower should have a gun. Security needs to be handled with proper foritification, not deadly weapons. You are only asking for another charge.

I am so fucking angry and sad about this person. The case is so far off track, the only positive I see is it has to be thrown out of court.

peace
jip

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
jipedestran said:
I know that no one is going to like what I have to say here.....

The person that got raided did not deserve to be raided. Had no reason to believe that LEO would ever be coming to his door. He was armed, as United States Citizens have the right to be.

Lesson for us, as growers? The Gestapo is here, they don't give a shit about you and your drugs. You shoot them? Just hope you live.

No Grower should have a gun. Security needs to be handled with proper foritification, not deadly weapons. You are only asking for another charge.

I am so fucking angry and sad about this person. The case is so far off track, the only positive I see is it has to be thrown out of court.

peace
jip

Contradict yourself much? First you say that United States citizens have the right to be armed then you say that no grower should have a gun. Which is it?

G

Wow thats devastating. I cant belive they do things like that. WOW

Best wishes to Ryan Frederick, your in my prayers.

hardhat22

Sawhiskey said:
Wow thats devastating. I cant belive they do things like that. WOW

Best wishes to Ryan Frederick, your in my prayers.

You mean WE don't you?We just stand back and watch it happen without 100s of thousands of us rising in protest.We are part of it if we are not against it.
Peace

green_tea

I'm all for the government, Democracy has its place.

I think the problem we are facing in todays world is/has/will continue to be created from the fact that we are now living in a extremely high-tech world. I think that a lot of us can somewhat agree that life with regards to the PATRIOT act, arrests, war on drugs, etc.. was much better before Bush was president. (just trying to establish a point in time where we can mostly agree that the US was "on the right path" or at least on a path that wasn't clearly leading to a military nation.)

That was ~8 years ago, or around 2000.

do you remember technology in 2000? no one really had hi speed internet connections, or multiple cell phones, pre-paid cell phones, etc etc etc...

I think the reason we are heading towards this crap tacular future is because the Government is OVERWHELMED with the amount of raw information/data that is now at EVERYBODIES fingertips.

I am NOT saying what is going down is right, I am just trying to step outside the box and look for the causes of our current state, that are not solely based around OIL, 9/11, WMD, etc. (all the buzz words i guess)

I mean in 8 years A LOT has changed, in 2000, I was messing around on a 386 PC with DOS and some BBS software. Today I am downloading 8GB 1080P movie rips within 4 hrs. back in 2000, it took me something like 30seconds to load a full porno image online. (through JUNO! ahha).

the data that the Government has to sift through is HUGE. They realized they don't have the man power or the TIME to sift through it all, and decided to take shortcuts, BAD shortcuts.

The shortcuts will EVENTUALLY get weeded out, because as they grow older, our generation begins to take power, and starts molding the government the way they envisioned it. Problem is now when we are molding it, there are going to be kids that think we are conservative, etc.

With an attack such as 9/11, somethign that basically shocked the nation, everybody only cared about one thing, security. No one decided to question the little things they were slowly carving away, because it was way way way lower on the totem pole.

The one thing to look forward to, is that when this does get fixed, and it will, We will have hopefully learned from our mistakes...

Population is always increasing... what happens in 50 years when we are now living in space/moon/underwater? in 50 years the population is expected to increase by 50% from 6billion to 9billion. That is a LOT of people.

What happens when space travel becomes the norm? We should have no issues with space, as we can just travel to a new location and set up there. hell instead of trying to find the holy land on Earth, now youll probably have religions that are trying to find the Holy land in the universe.

Of course these issues are FAR FAR into the future, most likely way past our life times, but still, it adds perspective. If we as a Country or as a Global force cannot overcome what we are faced with today, do we even deserve to be around in 100 years? The great depression was a cakewalk compared to the future in store for us IMO.

EDIT: sorry about these long badly formed posts,I just get bored at work and decide to rage on the keyboard, putting my ideas down with no care about order or form. But i would rather express my scattered ideas rather than no express them at all!

Last edited:

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
I love it! Even the newspaper is asking whether or not this raid was justified! Also sounds like the kops are trying their best to cover this up but doesn't appear to be working according to this artcle.

Ryan Frederick update May 29, 2008

The Virginian-Pilot

The Virginian-Pilot May 29 said:
TWO DETAILS, revealed during a preliminary hearing for the man charged with killing a Chesapeake police detective, were startling acknowledgments that police conducted a drug raid with only flimsy information that marijuana was being grown inside a Portlock home. The testimony by a colleague of Jarrod Shivers, who was fatally shot in the Jan. 17 incident, should concern city residents for these reasons:

Are police investigating sufficiently prior to raiding suspected dope houses? And would Chesapeake residents have acted any differently from the defendant, given the chaotic circumstances that night?

A substitute judge determined Tuesday that a grand jury should weigh first-degree murder and firearms charges against Ryan Frederick, 28. A misdemeanor marijuana possession charge, the reason for the raid, was dismissed. Frederick has said publicly that he fired shots from inside his home, thinking that an intruder was trying to enter. One shot struck and killed Shivers, 34, after police had used a battering ram on the front door.

Police were trying to rid the South Norfolk neighborhood of a potential menace. The police crew that went to Frederick's home, at 932 Redstart Ave., believed he was growing pot in the detached garage.

But the testimony by Detective Kiley Roberts, the sole witness at Tuesday's hearing and an officer on the scene that January night, is troublesome.

First, police placed huge stock in an unnamed "confidential informant," who gave details as early as November that Frederick was dealing drugs. There's no indication that information was supported independently. It's also unclear what motivated the informant to contact police; was the person trying to trade information on unrelated criminal charges? The department has said little about the individual.

Second, though police did surveillance at the home three or four times before the raid, Roberts testified on cross examination, they never noticed any unusual traffic to and from the house - which is sometimes an indication of drug activity. Police did a background check and found that Frederick had a job and no criminal history. And there's been no indication, in search warrants or testimony, that police used one of its own undercover officers to try to buy drugs from Frederick.

Given those facts, why did officers carry out the raid? An internal police probe has been completed, but that report will not be released, police said.

This is not to diminish Shivers' bravery on the night he died in the line of duty. And following the gunshots, Chesapeake police displayed enormous restraint by not rushing the house after one of their officers had been mortally wounded. (A separate .223 bullet casing, which did not come from Frederick's handgun, was recovered from the scene.)

But the tragedy has raised disquieting questions about the police methods of drug investigation; the tremendous show of force in what ultimately turned up a scant amount of marijuana; and why, given the circumstances, Frederick is being charged with first-degree murder instead of a lesser count, such as manslaughter.

The slaying of Detective Shivers appears to be a horrific anomaly. In 2007, Chesapeake police executed 50 narcotics warrants, leading to 72 arrests, numerous drugs recovered and weapons and property seized. Certainly, the department had conducted dozens of successful raids.

But one officer is dead, and one citizen faces a murder charge. This week's court proceeding suggests that, perhaps, police should never have raided that home on Redstart Avenue.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Cops are very often junkies, adrenaline junkies. They bust into homes not for safety but for the thrill of home invasion (justified or not, it is home invasion). What they should do is wait till the target leaves the house and identify themselves explicitly before proceeding with any detention/arrest/search. If they want evidence preserved why would they go in when they know someone else is inside and could flush it or burn it etc.

Its the same reason they continue car chases and run people off the road in cases when they know the identity of the person they are chasing, some cops are in that line of work for the thrill of it which is bassackwards.

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
Good point Deft!

Just another example of shoddy police work. Maybe this and the case in FL will shine a light on these roaches.