What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anonymous Surfing

L3moni0

Hello everyone,
do you take any precautions when surfing this site, or when uploading photos? Do you think there is a need to protect yourself?

I know there are many methods, such as TOR, VPN and more..

What strategy do you use?

I would like to open a discussion here to understand the pros and cons.

Bye! :tree:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
do you take any precautions when surfing this site, or when uploading photos?
i live in a repressive state (Tennessee) so i never post plant pictures, nor talk about personal grows. i think Creeperpark says it all IF i were to take pictures. just surfing and asking questions, i'm not concerned too much over. not sure what % here grow large enough to warrant federal interest. pretty obvious that SOME of them do, and impressively as well. :oops::love::bow:

CharlesU Farley

I could bore you with tales of the past, where we had to use to use proxies, email remailers, etc. to keep from getting busted but I won't. After the Patriot Act was passed here in the US, even though I was exceedingly familiar with Internet security, I ceased all Internet activity relating to cannabis and hallucinogenics, until probably 2012-2014.

On my website, you'll see the term Fugitive from Injustice a lot and that's just what I've been for a very long time. Through luck and the techniques I've used, I've never been busted.

So you're dealing with someone who is not only paranoid but has experienced a lot of internet security procedures. That being said, these days, even though I live in a very prohibitive state in the Southeast U.S., I'm not overly concerned about security when connecting up to cannabis websites and posting pictures.

Now digital photos, taken with a GPS enabled phone, are a completely different story. Without a doubt, you _must_ remove the GPS encoded data for pictures that you post. I've downloaded photos people have posted here, just to zoom in to see if they Photoshop shit, and you'd be surprised at how many times the GPS data is easily available in the file. I can determine the actual, _physical_ address where the photo was taken. People who do this are fundamentally doxing themselves.

So, long blowhard story somewhat shorter, as long as you remove the GPS data from the pics that you post, simply logging in and observing/participating in a forum like this is highly unlikely to lead to your arrest.

Last edited:

xtsho

I could bore you with tales of the past, where we had to use to use proxies, email remailers, etc. to keep from getting busted but I won't. After the Patriot Act was passed here in the US, even though I was exceedingly familiar with Internet security, I ceased all Internet activity relating to cannabis and hallucinogenics, until probably 2012-2014.

On my website, you'll see the term Fugitive from Injustice a lot and that's just what I've been for a very long time. Through luck and the techniques I've used, I've never been busted.

So you're dealing with someone who is not only paranoid but has experienced a lot of internet security procedures. That being said, these days, even though I live in a very prohibitive state in the Southeast U.S., I'm not overly concerned about security when connecting up to cannabis websites and posting pictures.

Now digital photos, taken with a GPS enabled phone, are a completely different story. Without a doubt, you _must_ remove the GPS encoded data for pictures that you post. I've downloaded photos people have posted here, just to zoom in to see if they Photoshop shit, and you'd be surprised at how many times the GPS data is easily available in the file. I can determine the actual, _physical_ address where the photo was taken. People who do this are fundamentally doxing themselves.

So, long blowhard story short, as long as you remove the GPS data from the pics that you post, simply logging in and observing/participating in a forum like this is highly unlikely to lead to your arrest.

I've sent google maps aerial and street view screenshots to people letting them know that they just posted their address along with their photo. It's amazing how many people self dox themselves because they don't turn off GPS in their camera settings. GPS is always off on my phone as I don't need it except for getting directions at which time I turn it on and then back off as soon as I get to my destination.