What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Andy Griffith

Nannymouse

Well, i do think that running a television set was FAR easier, back then. Doesn't matter that there are five thousand channels to choose from, when you cannot figure out how to get there. It's a little better now, most all can be done with one remote, but we still have several remotes to choose from. A few years back, we needed three different remote controls. We kids used to be the parents' remotes...since we were usually only two or three feet away from the t.v.

I think that our first fishing bobbers were cork.

My Dad would save his worn out engineer boots. He's use the leather for making halters for the horses (with pretty brass rivets) and the laces would be used for lead ropes. He was ex-Navy, and learned from the old sailors how to do round braids and all sorts of knots.

As with many things, i do ponder what is 'more simple'. Take tools, for example. Heck, we used many hand tools, like drills. It's far easier now to use cordless, and we were tickled to finally get the electric with cords. I feel sorry when the electric goes out, like when Texas had their outages. Folks are so dependent on power that isn't 'manpower'. An item loses its simplicity when it cannot be used.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
AC was not something provided to enlisted men.
they still weren't, last i heard. Pope AFB sure as hell didn't in 70s.
Yeah I think society seemed better back then
"seemed" if looked at from a distance. i still remember the "mens", "ladies", and "coloreds" bathrooms and separate water fountains at Woolworths here. they had all of two seats at the counter to eat at back by the restrooms too. no tables, sorry... white folks could try stuff on to see if it fit. Black folks heard "are you going to buy that?" :shucks:

NieveHopkins

No worries and no problem if you forgot to respond to any one particular thing, although I think you did get them all eventually? :biggrin: I realize I bunched a whole lot of stuff in there because it's been so long that I was away and I couldn't remember for sure what might have been the last life experience/crisis I might have shared online. I have been keeping my head up as best I can but at the same time there is not much motivation to get out of the house and do anything other then grocery store visits and doctors appointments. Some of that is due to less people in my life these days and I really don't feel the need to replace them with new friends or partners or pets. Then part of that too is finances are now so tight surviving on about $1100 per month that I just don't have money for any of those things that I used to go out for. I wouldn't mind going out for dinner now and then but it's just no fun if you don't have anyone to share it with and for what it generally costs for one decent meal I can usually feed myself for 3 or 4 meals. Then also part of it is health related, I have heart issues and on some days I can experience chest pains just walking from my bedroom out to my living room, it seems amazing to me that it was just a few years ago that I was walking 4-5 miles a day every day. Unfortunately the opioid crisis hit and our screwed up government decide to more or less treat anyone taking pain meds for chronic pain as being just a junkie. So I got cut off from my pain meds and marijuana never really solved my pain, so I wasn't able to continue my daily walks and my health went steadily downhill after that. Of course the government has no problem letting people take all the Tylenol and Advil they want for pain even though chronic use of either of those can lead to kidney issues in one case and liver issues in the other. What really gets me about all that though is you still hear people talking about the opioid crisis like it's just as bad as ever and yet how can it be when it's so hard to get any legal opiates anymore? That's a rhetorical question since I know that the answer is that by the over reaching way they tackled legal opioid use they pushed a whole lot of people out into the black market use. I like to say that there is actually two opioid crises the one that the government and media is still pushing and then the crisis of all the people who weren't abusing opioids but had legitimate chronic pain that now can't get any form of decent pain medication.

As for the living situation it's not looking too good for me at the moment, I'm basically facing losing my home which is fully paid for because I fell behind on my property taxes when my wife passed. I was putting aside money every month to cover that but when my wife passed we didn't have any insurance for funeral expenses and so I had to divert those funds to help my wife's family pay for her funeral and burial and then this past June when I couldn't pay off the back taxes in full they put my home up for what they call a tax sale. This is where people will bid on your property for the amount you owe in taxes and then if you can't pay them back in a set period of time (4 months in my state) the person who won the tax sale gets your property for just pennies on the dollar usually. Currently my home is worth $160K and the person who won the tax sale only had to come up with about $5000. If I can't pay that back plus interest by Oct. 15th I'm out on the street not long after and since I have such a limited income there's no chance of me getting an equity loan to cover that amount or using an app for payday advance and given what's been going on in the rental market about all I might be able to find is maybe a room for rent in someone else's home. So under those circumstances the idea of having an active grow is out of the question. I am looking into a possible solution thru a reverse mortgage but the most common reverse mortgage requires you to be 62 and I'm currently just 61. There are some companies that offer a special type of reverse mortgage for people that are 61 but so far all the ones I've looked into have found one reason or another as to why I won't qualify. There's still a few more to look into but it's getting harder and harder to stay optimistic.
OMG! Are you ok nowadays? Your story is so sad to read(

Last edited:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
OMG! Are you ok nowadays? Your story is so sad to read(
Define okay? Compared to when I wrote that to now I would have to say that many things improved. The most significant one is that I was able to get help from a program to pay off my past due property tax and be able to keep my home. Also since then my Social Security Disability income has increased a bit so the financial situation improved slightly but not as much as I would like since due to the recent period of inflation groceries and many other day to day expense have increased which offsets and gains in income. Other then that not much else has changed. I'm basically okay though, I've been dealing with enough of these issue for an extended period that I've grown used to it and so it's not as depressing to me as it once was. Although I'm sure to anyone else living a fairly normal life it still sounds really sad. I just try my best to keep an optimistic outlook and make the best out of my situation as I can. I also still keep some hope alive for "miracles" to happen. Like for example maybe one day a beautiful younger woman might come into my life and for one reason or another we hit it off and become a couple. That would majorly transform my life if it were to happen, although I'm not really expecting it too or looking for it to happen. If it's in the cards then it will happen but if not life still goes on.

Thanks for asking though and sorry that my story made you feel sad enough to reach out to a virtual stranger and express concern. In my book that speaks very well as to your character.

NieveHopkins

Define okay? Compared to when I wrote that to now I would have to say that many things improved. The most significant one is that I was able to get help from a program to pay off my past due property tax and be able to keep my home. Also since then my Social Security Disability income has increased a bit so the financial situation improved slightly but not as much as I would like since due to the recent period of inflation groceries and many other day to day expense have increased which offsets and gains in income. Other then that not much else has changed. I'm basically okay though, I've been dealing with enough of these issue for an extended period that I've grown used to it and so it's not as depressing to me as it once was. Although I'm sure to anyone else living a fairly normal life it still sounds really sad. I just try my best to keep an optimistic outlook and make the best out of my situation as I can. I also still keep some hope alive for "miracles" to happen. Like for example maybe one day a beautiful younger woman might come into my life and for one reason or another we hit it off and become a couple. That would majorly transform my life if it were to happen, although I'm not really expecting it too or looking for it to happen. If it's in the cards then it will happen but if not life still goes on.

Thanks for asking though and sorry that my story made you feel sad enough to reach out to a virtual stranger and express concern. In my book that speaks very well as to your character.
thx you m8