What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

An Overview of Cannabis Training (ScrOG, SoG, FIM, Super-Crop, LST, etc.)

TraneRek

I like this! It's an easy way for n00bs (like myself) to decide what training method to research further w/out wasting a lot of time. Props Quazi!

-Rek

M

moses224

ditto man! Quazi you always take the extra step whether its a DIY or a comment. Thanks for the contributions its truly a pleasure to read your post / threads

smkemifugotem

quasi, this is great stuff! excellent descriptions and pics... I just moved my cabinets to my friend's place while I'm gone for the next five months and this just saved me a whole lot of explaining to do. I told him to try them all out and have fun... that's the only way to truly know what you like. :chin:

Personally, I run three modular scrogs. 12" x 15" screens on top of 4 gallon containers running single-plant DWC's in a perpetual harvest. Perfect harmony

I supercrop above the third node, then Top or (try to) FIM above that a couple times. I've found that if you only use Low-Stress Training in a scrog setup by bending the branches below the screen, the main growing tip ends up dominating the playing field, whereas if you add in High-Stress training as well, it produces more evenly growing budsites. The trick is to determine the necessary amount of high-stress training - that is, find the balance between stressing the plant and more evenly distributing the budsites. :canabis:

Cheers mate

Last edited:

Quazi

Peat: thanks a bunch for sharing! The more personal experiences in this thread the better!

twigboy: glad I could help!

JustaGuy420: thanks man! I was looking for something like this for a while too. :wink:

TraneRek: thanks man!

moses224: always a pleasure. Thanks for stopping by!

smkemifugotem: thanks for sharing! Cheers!

-Q :rasta:

its420

Wow all this info in the same place where it should be, GENIUS!!! Thanks so much for all the hard work and time. It helps alot of us. Now, if i can just get all my girls onto the same page in symphonic harmony, maybe another bowl will help

This is my lst and pruning training outdoors, started out going easy on them, at the end was hacking shit out knowing it was destined to be un popped popcorn

Peace

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Excellent post!!!! Thanks, informative and absolutely elegant of writing and presentation.

Yes, nice post, thanks! Are there any trimming threads that talk about which budsites to remove to get less popcorn and direct that energy to the main cola?

its420

You know, I just found an amazing article on pruning smokes

http://www.thecannacabana.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6935

I'm gonna run through an entire grow one cut at a time.Complete with pics and details.I'll be demonstrating the techniques I use to encourage the onset of dense heavy potent buds.Avoiding as much of the dreaded popcorn as possible.I will be using both train wreck and soma's lavender for this thread.I will begin posting pics as soon as tomorrow.Every time I prune I will post pics before and after,and answer any questions that arise.Hope this helps.

sorry i looked for similar info here and didnt find such detailed great thread
Hope it helps
peace

Quazi

mayan, smokesalot420, its420: thanks for the kind words!

I'm actually working on putting together a nice photo-filled demonstration of when to identify what you can trim and how it can affect your buds.

It makes a difference for sure.

I've been busy with another cannabis-filled project lately.

But more will come.

-Q :rasta:

its420

Lol sounds good Quazi, I could use that like, yesterday. We all know how projects go thou, good lookin out man, thanks alot
peace

Y

yamaha_1fan

As far as SOG goes, I think most large SOGGERS are lollipopping their plants. Albert Hoffman, Stoney are 2 that I know that do it and thats why I do mine and the results have been great.

Maybe its strain related but I even did my Northern Lights which which was a skinny and long bud compared to my BlueBerry. Not trimming the bottom leads to popcorn and dead growth

Very nice thread Quazi, wish this was around when I started as there was nothing that really compared each style to each other

jamrockjay

Great thread Quazi, i think im gonna try scrogging for my next grow after reading this thread thanx Quazi keep up the good work :woohoo:

RhinoJay lives on...

chronisseur

tie er up

tie er up

you can FIM or top it if u want, but there is no pont as you are creating more bud sites and taking care of height issues by spreading out the branches through the wire and bending the main stem over or horiontal..

I wouldt do much pruning at all (except the lower branches with dick all on them - this will focus energy on the canopy) as your screen/canopy top will be completely green and able to handle the extra foliage/branching, extra long main top etc..

I use a combo or string, sticks, wires etc to loop my main stem around to make a nice hedge and multiple tops. My thick lower branches are stretched under a string that runs around above the lip of the pot - they grow outwards low, thus getting full light and opening up the inside of the plant and the next set of branches to more light too. I then let them go up or whatever after going outwards to the edge of the pot.. You can even dip the stems from ANY part into/under the soil (even without scarification) and they will form their own roots which will help fuel that branch and support it even better! (idea posted by daSHadow at UdG), esp the main top if you run it horizontal! THis is great for the vegging stage and early flowering for getting huge plants that arent so tall you need a warehouse!

EVen a basic support stake or ring of them with string looped around, can increase harvest. ANY stress you take off of the stem sipportin the weight of the bud will allow it to get bigger and heavier

jugdishe

excellent thread Quazi, thanks man. I have learned all I know, which isn't much, from people like you who take the time to help others. thanks

In the post you said you can train plants in flower

I have some White Russian grown from seed that are nice and healthy but they are Xmas trees and I would like to get more than the one beauty from each

I have super cropped them a couple time while in flower. Most of the stem were right back to vertical later that night or the next morning and I dont see a lot of lower growth having gained on the main stem, that is the main stem is still the tallest

what sort of approach would you take on a plant of this shape? that has been in flower for only a couple days

here are some pics

I have tried to get the pic to insert into the post but I cant seem to figure it out but they are attached, I think

thanks
j

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 39

dakin3d

I'll piggyback everything everyone else has said: 'Sweet thread' and thanks for posting something worthwhile! Much appreciated... Cheers, dak