What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

An experiment in time... no veg period

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I went into the room and trimmed a couple buds to check them for ripeness.... then I trimmed a couple more..... oops, forgot to take the pictures. LOL Before I remembered the pics I was half done harvesting. I did get some pics of the harvest. I love my drying tent. A perfect 55 - 60% for the entire time. It is so easy to control temp and humidity inside a tent. I use a small humidifier/dehumidifier as required and I leave them in there from 1 to 2 weeks. Then, into jars.

Cutting the veg time did not make the colas any smaller. In fact, these colas are considerably larger than the last crop of the same strain that was veg'd for 2 months. What did suffer in yield was all the popcorn I usually get from the lower branches. I did get a couple trays from the few branches but I usually fill that 6 tier drying rack with smaller buds and popcorn. I only got 2 layers this time. And, once again, the secondary buds were larger than the secondary buds in previous crops veg'd for 2 months.

I will definitely try this again. I am curious as to my total yield when dry. I consistently get 16 to 22 ounces per crop from this room. I'll be curious to see what this adds up to.

That pH problem I has wiped out my fan leaves. Brown and crunchy. The buds look mostly unaffected.

Kind of sad. This will be my last crop in this room. I have been growing in this room almost non-stop for 35 years. Finally got it all tweaked in and now I have to tear it out to sell the house. LOL

Here are a couple pics. The Red Dragon in the new tent is not quite ready yet. Just a few more days. It is just now finishing that 'second flowering' they go through right before ripening.

Funny, I barely used a scope to look at the trics when I harvested. Been so long, I could tell when they were ripe from the way the room smelled and felt. Gonna miss this room. :(

Nice job Ringodoggie heres to the future bigger and better :tiphat:

NUGneighbor

What's up Ringodoggie ? Nice work. It's cool trying new things. Isn't it ? I have been growing from clone straight to 12/12 for the last 5 years. But I have been doing with lpa ( low pressure areoponics ).
I built the systems that consist of 2, 14"x18" grow chambers with 1 res. And I have 4 of them. And I put 1 to 12/12 every 2 weeks. Each grow chamber has 20 grow sites about 2 1/2" on center. That seems like that is to close but it really is not, cause I lolly pop up half the plant so there really is not any side branches.
Each system is under 1, 900 w led. The sprayers are set to come on every 10 mins for 30 seconds. For basic nutes I use whatever I can find that is cheapest. I have found that it really does not make a big difference with these nutes. But I also throw in NPK micros for flowering. This stuff is great. When I first started I was using hydroguard. But this NPK shit is 100 times better. I also add in some bud candy, big bud, and at the end some overdrive. At the start of 12/12 ph is 6 at 500 ppm. At 4 weeks ph 5.8 at 800 ppm.
The plants avg. 24" to 30" tall.And the best part is I get 20 true tops out of each grow chamber that avg. 10 to 17 grams each dry. I avg. anywhere 25 to 35 grams per plant dry.
So if we due the math i'm pulling around a pound per 14"x18' grow chamber and there is 2 chambers per system. So breaking it down every 2 weeks I'm pulling around 2 pounds, some times more some times less in a area of 24"x18".
But like I stated I have been doing this for 5 years and it took me about three years to get to these numbers.
But like a true idiot grower, on my next round I'm going to try some different things and shoot for 28 gram tops. LOL. But I think I can do it. It's all about the roots.
Anyway I thought I would share with you and give you something to think about.
Again good job on your grow. And I hope you can get a new room going soon.
Take care.............................................................................................................

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have always loved experimenting. However, for my entire life of growing I have been illegal and there never seems to be enough stealth space to do everything I want and still maintain a steady supply. LOL I am getting ready to move to SoCal so I'll be a growing maniac when I get settled. Thanks for the input.

5 days off the vine and they are starting to crisp up a little. A little spongy, still. I put one cola in a jar with a hygrometer and it took it up to 65% almost immediately. A sure sign it's not ready yet.

The weather has been so fucked up here that I actually had to use both the humidifier and the dehumidifier to keep it even at 50%. Giant rainstorm blew in and the entire house zoomed to 70% and the dehumidifier went on. Last night it hit 22% and the humidifier was running all night. LOL I hate Ohio. LOL

Something odd that I noticed. I noticed it first when I was harvesting and now it is still very apparent as it dries....... the Triple XXX clones that were grown under the LED and T5 lights are definitely and noticeably more blue than the same clones grown under the 1000w HPS. I'll try to get a pic of that. Is that common with LED?

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 35

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Well, I finished trimming and put it all in jars, today. Even though it was only one week and I kept it close to 50%, it still dried super crispy. Way more crisp than I have ever dried it in the past. I am hoping there is enough internal moisture to bring it back up a little. I have hygrometers in every jar so I'll be watching closely. I purposely over-dried it a little because I am getting ready to leave town for a few weeks and I didn't want to come back to a bunch of jars filled with mold.

As for the 'no veg period experiment', I would say it was conclusive. Simply less yield for no veg period. Makes sense.

The good news is, I got about the same yield (or actually a tiny bit better) from the colas as I do on plants I veg for 2 months. What I lost here was all the popcorn and smaller buds that usually go into hash or rosin.

So, where I usually get (with each tent) 16 to 22 ounces with 2 months veg and with about 8 to 10 ounces of that being the colas and the rest smaller buds and popcorn, in the Triple XXX grow, I still got 8 ounces of colas plus 10 ounces of big buds plus 3 ounces of popcorn. The Red Dragon was all colas and a few buds. The Colas were 5 ounces and the buds another 3. Basically, the 'other' buds are part of the cola that wouldn't fit in the jar.

So, total yield for 2, 4x4 tents= 13 ounces of beautiful colas, 13 ounces of big buds and 3 ounces of popcorn.

That should hold me over until I move in September. :)

Time to tear out all my grow rooms and sell all the stuff. Damn. Lights, fans, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, pH meters, nutes, pots, watering systems, pumps, buckets, drying racks, extension cords. Damn.

Peace

Attachments

• 1000.jpg
    1000.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 1001.jpg
    1001.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 1002.jpg
    1002.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 41