What's new

Americans, give me your BBQ secrets.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Harry, you will have to tell me what Hobgoblin is, I already know what the first item is. Everything is Irie, although I can't smoke when 8 inches of snow covers my smoker.

2fa1c3e162bb169c0375f4e7f04d0548.jpg

lager-boy.jpg

wp-hohoho.jpg

It is lovely. Like special Brew but not as strong... I do like a drop of the old "Tramp juice" now and again though.. Takes me back to my big issue (2 free staples with every single copy) seller days.:biggrin: TBH, I don't really drink much, a couple of beers per week, if that. I haven't had a beer for a month.
I got a hobgoblin gift set last year, which was an etched pint glass with the Hobgoblin logo, and a bottle of the beer. One problem, the bottle was only half a pint. Bloody typical eh.

So, I've got my smoker planned out now. I'm going with the 45 gallon (proper gallons, not those funny smaller US ones:biggrin:) ) drum, and I will be using a PC fan and PID controller to regulate temps to make it easier to use. I'm getting Xmas out of the way, then I will crack on with it.

Last edited:

bigAl25

Veteran
Wow, I will look for it at the stores, but I have not seen this in my previous beer shopping expeditions. My offer still stands and the best I can do on this front is Sam Adams Octoberfest. 10 bottles in fridge right now next to Rolling Rock. We will have to let the results of the blizzard melt before I can start smoking again, but the invite still stands. All I have left to sample is white jones, Pure AK, bubblelicious, and some white berry. Great photos of the Hobgoblin.

Low, slow and indirect heat. Oak for beef, apple for pork, hickory for chicken.

Beyond this it's sauce. I make my own with a homemade ketchup base. Yes, we make our own ketchup...

SV

what about mesquite? what about cherry? you missed a few lol

I use mesquite charcoal but insofar as pure smoke, imo, its a bit too harsh, has too much bite. In charcoal form the flavor is milder. Cherry is ok, but not my first choice for red meat, however I have used it for salmon and its superb.

Another great option, especially if you like tri tip is red oak.

SV

F

fishwhistle

Harry gypsna,What you want to build is what is known as a UDS or ugly drum smoker,many teams use them in competition against smokers costing 10-20 thousand dollars,i built my UDS for about 100 dollars and it works perfect.Here is a link to a thread discussing how to build them,http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13224
And here is a link to the site where you can find everything you need from recipes to building smokers,http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/
Good luck,smoking is really addictive,LOL.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Harry gypsna,What you want to build is what is known as a UDS or ugly drum smoker,many teams use them in competition against smokers costing 10-20 thousand dollars,i built my UDS for about 100 dollars and it works perfect.Here is a link to a thread discussing how to build them,http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13224
And here is a link to the site where you can find everything you need from recipes to building smokers,http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/
Good luck,smoking is really addictive,LOL.

Thanks, I have been reading various BBQ forums for a while, and the smokering is one of them.
Toke it easy.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

This is what I own, my offset smoker has the chamber on the left like this 1st one below.

aaff1638_zps8d391a9e.jpg

easy to use and regulate temps with two dampers.

aaff1641_zps6838c878.jpg

this style smoker has dual use abilities, after you've done all your smoking you can set up the big chamber for standard BBQ style grilling for any size party.

aaff1640_zps3fe6e9e9.jpg

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Harry!
here's a BBQ secret that's yet to be revealed.......

aaff1886_zpseb11c293.jpg

take your favorite pair of chompers and soak them overnight in a light mixture of water & liquid smoke. Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING!!!) you eat or drink that next day including your noon tea will taste like good 'ol Memphis bbq.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran

Harry!
here's a BBQ secret that's yet to be revealed.......

View Image

take your favorite pair of chompers and soak them overnight in a light mixture of water & liquid smoke. Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING!!!) you eat or drink that next day including your noon tea will taste like good 'ol Memphis bbq.

Unfortunately, I still have most of my own teeth.... And believe me, they are unfortunate these days:biggrin: Just as soon as I can afford it I'm going to get titanium implants. I was going to go to Poland where it's cheaper, but then I realised, all the good Polish Dentists are here now anyway, so I ain't risking it with the crappy dentists who stayed home:laughing:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I don't own a smoker so I use a stainless smoker box or foil packets or soaked wood chips , or if I get lazy I borrow my friends electric brinkman smoker....alder wood is great for trout......yeehaw...this thread reminded me I got to stock up on my wood...its pig season and I just got my new liscense and tags......mmmmmmm bacon...the pigs that been raiding the orchards here taste so damn good...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
lots of folks (cheaters mostly, LOL!) pressure cook or boil their pork until it is nearly done before smoking. takes a lot less time & wood chips that way. the best I ever had was not cooked on gas OR charcoal, he burned oak until it was coals and then shoveled it into the smoker & threw hickory wood onto the coals. smoked like a sumbitch!:tiphat: the Sweet Baby rays sauce is good, their sweet Vidalia onion variety is GREAT!

Latest posts

Latest posts